Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am in the middle of doing my timing belt and i did the timing belt tensioner as well at the same time. I went to reinstall my new tensioner and it says to turn it clockwise twice i cant even get it around ounce with out the spring slipping off the stud??????????? i have ordered a new spring to try that but it will take a few days to get to my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! any ideas why the spring won't stay on the stud

·
Registered
214 Posts
pretty sure that happened to me...

i see in the manual they want 2 turns clockwise and counter clockwise.

that basically nulls each other out. sounds like they want you to stretch the spring. not sure if i actually did that or not.

make sure the center bolt is only slightly loosened. obviously if you are that far into it, you have an idea of what you are doing...

i used a new tensioner, and tried to follow procedure as best i could.
i guess dont get too hung up on it. make sure the parts are facing the right way and check to see if it works and takes up the slack.

more important to make sure belt alignment is right. i had trouble and think i may be a tooth off, although my gas mileage says differently. i think back on it now, and i cant say i paid that much attention to it.i just put the new one on and set it...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i screwed around with it a bit and couldn't get the spring to stay on still....awwwww f*k i said with another one coming what the hell
so i tried using a pair of small vice grips to hold the spring in place up against the stud while i turned the tensioner twice around.......
well it stayed in place and has, i would say at least one revaluation of tension on it ....... but it has me worried ....i turned the tensioner to the tightest it could go with out releasing the tension on the belt and i mean if i was to let it go any farther it would make the spring slip off again.........errrrrrrrrrrr
so what do i do leave it cause it is in place now but what about when i need to hammer on the gas and i get a little flex or vibration is it going to slip off ......
i have never used a spring like the one that comes one our trucks it just clips in the hole and rests on the stud.........all the ones i have used have a hook to clip on the stud from slipping off so this never happens and u don't run in to this problem ...........bloody Nissan and to think i have another datsun/nissan project in the works hope it isn't as hard as this f*K

·
Registered
214 Posts
well i screwed around with it a bit and couldn't get the spring to stay on still....awwwww f*k i said with another one coming what the hell
so i tried using a pair of small vice grips to hold the spring in place up against the stud while i turned the tensioner twice around.......
well it stayed in place and has, i would say at least one revaluation of tension on it ....... but it has me worried ....i turned the tensioner to the tightest it could go with out releasing the tension on the belt and i mean if i was to let it go any farther it would make the spring slip off again.........errrrrrrrrrrr
so what do i do leave it cause it is in place now but what about when i need to hammer on the gas and i get a little flex or vibration is it going to slip off ......
i have never used a spring like the one that comes one our trucks it just clips in the hole and rests on the stud.........all the ones i have used have a hook to clip on the stud from slipping off so this never happens and u don't run in to this problem ...........bloody Nissan and to think i have another datsun/nissan project in the works hope it isn't as hard as this f*K

well i didnt pay much attention to that amount of detail. i placed the tensioner on with the spring on the correct position. then i used the allen wrench to rotate the tensioner clockwise until i was able to get the new belt on. i then rotated it counterclockwise to take up the slack.

i never "rotated it twice CCW or CW" good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts