Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 Frontier started making the dreaded whining noise at 45,000 miles only when cold. I ran it by a dealership (South Charlotte Nissan) at that time, but they said they couldn't hear anything. As time went on it got a little worse, I could hear it all the time. At 56000 miles, last week, I took it to another dealership (Harrelson Nissan), they could hear it plain as day, but said they've heard worse. Service adviser agreed they needed to be replaced and would be able to do it next week. By the way, service adviser's name is Alfredo, shook my hand, actually got off his *** and came outside and listened to my truck, very professional fellow. I dropped my truck off this Monday at 8:00 AM and he called Tuesday at 1:45 PM to say it was done, they were pretty busy. Truck runs great, just like it did when it was new.
On an another note: I've run Mobile 1 or Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil and a Wix filter since the truck had 1000 miles on it. People can stop posting questions on the synthetic verses conventional oil and how they affect timing guides. It doesn't matter, they are just gonna wear no matter what you run.

·
Registered
71 Posts
took mine to the dealership today. always used mobil synthetic and mobil filter. also had them look at the rear axle, its clunking. hope i get a new one. and my truck only has 22k. first problems ive had with it

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It doesn't matter, they are just gonna wear no matter what you run.
Mine were gone at 4k miles. I'm just hoping these don't go out every X amount of miles and the new ones they put in last. Dealer told me they've had about 1/100 come back for a 2nd set of tensioners...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I hope I don't have to replace them myself in another 50,000 miles...Only time will tell. This is the only problem I've had so far with this truck, other than a few dash rattles. My 06 Frontier was a pile of crap, however.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
yeah what alot of people don't seem to understand is that the problem is with the chains themselves being poorly finished with rough edges that eat through the guilds much faster than intended. there is nothing anyone can do about it as far as what oil to use and what not it all comes down to how lucky you are and if you got a nicely finished set of chains or a poorly finished set. best of luck to you and your new chians and guides. i'm at 40k miles with no noise as of yet, if its going to happen before 100k i'm really hoping it happens soon so its under warranty. although i have heard of cases where people have found the problem after 60k and the dealership still did it for free out of good will but i'm sure those don't happen often.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So true, all I know is my truck runs great again, and I'm happier than a punk in a wiener factory....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Out of curiousity, what did the dealer charge to replace it?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
if you have to pay for it i think i've seen members post quotes of $1800 but thats without warranty. with warranty i think all you have to pay is $15 for an oil change cause i think they have to drain the oil when they do this or something like that

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
so where you out of warranty when that happened?? im pretty much almost up because im hitting 5 years and i only have 37k on it so the basic will warranty will expire soon. So did u have warranty still?

·
Registered
158 Posts
if you have to pay for it i think i've seen members post quotes of $1800 but thats without warranty. with warranty i think all you have to pay is $15 for an oil change cause i think they have to drain the oil when they do this or something like that
Holy S*#@! I hope your wrong! lol, I am blowing thru mileage and lost my warranty 6 months ago!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't pay a dang dime, all done under warranty. I used to be a mechanic, the only way i let someone else work on my vehicles is if it's under warranty...Other than that, I suck it up, and do it myself.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Holy S*#@! I hope your wrong! lol, I am blowing thru mileage and lost my warranty 6 months ago!
i wish i was here is a quote from a thread about the timing chain issue "I hear the timing chain whine, and the dealer quoted me $1700 to replace the guides" http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f55/vq40-timing-chain-issue-30020/index12.html page 12 post 120. dont like the sound of that either but i wouldn't take it in to have the dealer do it anyway and i think someone else in that thread said it was under $500 for everything you need to do that yourself. but i'll be in a much better mood about it if my truck has 100k or more miles on it when i'm doing it as opposed to like 65k. i guess only time will tell for all of us

·
Super Moderator
11,070 Posts
Engine is covered under the 5 Year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. You don't have over 60K in two years yet do you?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
There is a thread somewhere that shows the cost is now reduced, as they have a special tool to shorten the labor time. I'll find it and link it up once I do! It also had some info. on the updated parts. Its called a ring gear stop tool.
Here it is! Its a sticky in the DIY section and has good information in it!

If you don't have a whine, I would NEVER stress it. There is just no point. I've seen a lot of members on here freaking out, (myself at 1 point), calling it a ticking time bomb, and all that. Every situation will be different, including how your dealer handles it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Engine is covered under the 5 Year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. You don't have over 60K in two years yet do you?
nope, but I do got 45k in just over a year and half! We'll see what happens, so far so good (knock on wood). The best part about the timing chain thing, is that the salesman at the stealership was lilke, "because it's a chain you don't have to worry about it". I knew he was full of crap so I didn't take it to seriously. People that have never had grease under the nails shouldn't be talking mechanics!

·
Registered
78 Posts
What is this whine that everyone is talking about?? I have on 07' with 41,000 miles on it and ive only had it for about 3 months. It does seem to have a whine that goes with the sound of the motor, higher the rpm's the louder it gets. Is that the timing chain??? Im not really mechanically inclined so I would like to get it taken care of asap if thats what it is. Thank you

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
What is this whine that everyone is talking about?? I have on 07' with 41,000 miles on it and ive only had it for about 3 months. It does seem to have a whine that goes with the sound of the motor, higher the rpm's the louder it gets. Is that the timing chain??? Im not really mechanically inclined so I would like to get it taken care of asap if thats what it is. Thank you
Sounds like it. Don't freak out, take it in, your under your warranty. The parts they put in are better, so its more of a maintence thing at this point. there is a special tool they use to do it that cuts down on their labor time. Should take them a day. No biggie, atleast its free to you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sounds like it. Don't freak out, take it in, your under your warranty. The parts they put in are better, so its more of a maintence thing at this point. there is a special tool they use to do it that cuts down on their labor time. Should take them a day. No biggie, atleast its free to you.
Thanks man. Ill have to take it in sometime next week. What exactly is it that goes bad and causes all the problems??? Is it the actual timing chain or is it a tensioner or something?? thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
nope, but I do got 45k in just over a year and half! We'll see what happens, so far so good (knock on wood). The best part about the timing chain thing, is that the salesman at the stealership was lilke, "because it's a chain you don't have to worry about it". I knew he was full of crap so I didn't take it to seriously. People that have never had grease under the nails shouldn't be talking mechanics!
LOL- thats EXACTLY what my salesman told me about the timing chains on the VQ40. They made it sound like timing belt designs were crap and that even god's chariot had a timing chain equipped VQ engine. Blah blah blah - I suppose the design of the engine is great in theory and on paper but what good if built using crap materials, aka metal chain rubbing on plastic guides, when its only a matter of time when the metal eats thru the plastic.

·
Registered
153 Posts
2007, 45,000 miles here so we have similar rigs. My noise just started last week although my other noises that I've had (since new) started getting louder and more frequent as well. On a nice calm day with no wind and the radio off I can almost imagine that I've got a small 1.8T Volkswagen diesel engine because my frontier sounds almost identical to those engines when accelerating!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts