Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the below posts on the supercharger noise created by the timing chain and my heart sunk because my truck has been making that noise for a while. My truck just rolled over 54K. I expected to get at least 100k out of a timing CHAIN!!

Is the chain just noisy or has it really gone bad?

How much to have it fixed?

:crikey:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You are under 60k, so the power train warranty would cover the repair. Take it to the dealer to get it diagnosed and confirmed.

There are a couple video threads of the noise. Listen to them and compare to your situation.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That guy's may have been bad but that was exactly what mine sounded like when I had it replaced at 71K miles. I purchased all the parts at the dealership and had a good local shop do the labor. $1,100 for everything. Removed pretensioners were nearly worn down to nothing. I don't know if I'm hearing things or not, but at 80K miles, I believe I'm starting to hear the sound all over again. I hope Nissan flushed all of their old parts from their inventory with the new "updated" parts I've been hearing about on this board. They all looked the same to me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
YouTube - Frontier chain tensioner whine

This guy's is really bad. Not normal at all, you shouldn't be able to hear the chain. Get Nissan to fix while the getting is good.
Luckly mine doesn't sound like that. Mine sounds more like it has a turbo than a supercharger and it is most noticable when i have just started it. After that it is barely noticable.

You are under 60k, so the power train warranty would cover the repair. Take it to the dealer to get it diagnosed and confirmed.

There are a couple video threads of the noise. Listen to them and compare to your situation.
Im not the original owner, does it matter when i take it in?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Took my 07 in yesterday, done today. Haven't picked it up yet so I don't know how it sounds without the whine. All covered under 60K powertrain warranty. I specifically asked if the worn parts were being replaced with same parts which will wear out in another 30K or if there have been upgraded parts issued by Nissan. His response was that early on in the treatment of the issue the parts were the same but recently there have been modifications so that I shouldn't have this issue in another 30K out of warranty. Hope that is the real story!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took my 07 in yesterday, done today. Haven't picked it up yet so I don't know how it sounds without the whine. All covered under 60K powertrain warranty. I specifically asked if the worn parts were being replaced with same parts which will wear out in another 30K or if there have been upgraded parts issued by Nissan. His response was that early on in the treatment of the issue the parts were the same but recently there have been modifications so that I shouldn't have this issue in another 30K out of warranty. Hope that is the real story!
Awesome, ill ask the same and post the answer i get.

·
Super Moderator
11,399 Posts
Actually it was poorly stamped chain links that did the damage. The edges were sharp and that ate up the guides. My truck was done over a year ago and all is still well. I'm sure the repaired trucks will stay quiet.

Clint

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have an 07' with 44k miles on it (second owner), I took it to my local dealership at 39k. They diagnosed it and ordered parts. I asked them if they just replaced the old parts with the same ones or if Nissan had come up with something better, and I was told that they went through and replaced everything with new and better parts. Hopefully thats the case. I dropped it off aT 7:00 AM and had it back that day at lunch time, no problems yet and Nissan covered everything.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What a nightmare.

I was out of warranty.....ouch.
$960 in parts and labor.
I got my truck back from the dealership, parked it, went inside and came back out to find two basketball sized puddles of oil under my truck. Drove it back up to the dealership the next morning and they couldn't stop apologizing. My oil coverd acc. belt screaming the entire way. I tried multiple attempts to clean the belt but i gave up and bought a new one. THE SQUEEK WAS STILL THERE!!! $40 tensioner and pully and im squeek free and happy....for the moment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts