Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

So Clifford the big red truck finally needed some timing chain work. I Started getting the tell tale clicking noise on startup indicating a bad tensioner shoe. So, I did a major overhaul to replace the timing set, guides, water pump, Idler Pulley and Tensioner pulley in one fell swoop. it went great until we opened the Timing chain cover and found this...:frown:

:surprise:Obviously the last person who worked on this engine buggered the heck out of the timing set! I have driven over 100k miles with no clue it was so off. I also don't believe it jumped time. The Slack guide on the main chain was broken, but that shouldn't have an effect the Cam Chain (the VVT was really effective at disguising the problem). I think the main chain was offset by one whole link, but correct nonetheless. But the right (passenger) bank Cam would not line up with the marks! The truck was running just fine, but wouldn't pass emissions and I bet this had something to do with it. :nerd:

The Biggest surprise was this, I put on the new timing set and it runs Great! My truck was early production, so it only had the Copper links and no Blue links. I was able to line up the timing easily and It runs great!!!! It feels good to be lucky!::grin:::angel:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey Guys,

So Clifford the big red truck finally needed some timing chain work. I Started getting the tell tale clicking noise on startup indicating a bad tensioner shoe. So, I did a major overhaul to replace the timing set, guides, water pump, Idler Pulley and Tensioner pulley in one fell swoop. it went great until we opened the Timing chain cover and found this...:frown:

:surprise:Obviously the last person who worked on this engine buggered the heck out of the timing set! I have driven over 100k miles with no clue it was so off. I also don't believe it jumped time. The Slack guide on the main chain was broken, but that shouldn't have an effect the Cam Chain (the VVT was really effective at disguising the problem). I think the main chain was offset by one whole link, but correct nonetheless. But the right (passenger) bank Cam would not line up with the marks! The truck was running just fine, but wouldn't pass emissions and I bet this had something to do with it. :nerd:

The Biggest surprise was this, I put on the new timing set and it runs Great! My truck was early production, so it only had the Copper links and no Blue links. I was able to line up the timing easily and It runs great!!!! It feels good to be lucky!::grin:::angel:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/30325574401/in/dateposted-public/

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts