Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Timing chain tensioner & Belt tensioner

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  RyanD1966 
#1 ·
I've searched the forums and see that these are an issue but am not seeing an answer for my questions. 2017 SV 4X4 with 22k on the ODO.
I'm getting pretty bad chatter from the timing chain and chirping from the belt tensioner.
Are these both covered under the drive-train warranty?
Thanks!

#3 ·
They should be. I'd speak to your service advisor. Sounds very strange that timing / cam drives would be having issues at such a low mileage.

Reactions: uteman1011
#4 ·
Before you go for the serpentine belt tensioner, be sure it's not the belt. Carefully spritz a mist of water on the belt when it's making the noise. If the noise temporarily abates, it's your belt that's the problem.

Are you hearing the chain rattle only on start up? Unless Nissan somehow worked a fix on that, it's fairly typical. It takes a few seconds for the tensioners to be primed with engine oil. If you hear it as you drive, I agree with @RyanD1966 that it's unusual.

Reactions: uteman1011
#5 ·
I hear the chatter mostly at start up but do hear it otherwise. It definitely gets quieter when warm.
The belt tensioner is a constant "chirp" and I'm confident it's the tensioner bearing.
I'll take your advice and get with a service person to have them give me a determination.
This is my 7th Nissan (4th Frontier) and the first time I've needed any warranty work so I'm a bit hesitant. :)
Thanks All

Reactions: FitzIngarage
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.