Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at my mechanics today (out of warranty) and I was asking what they charged for the timing chain service (88,XXX miles). He asked if I was hearing any noises from under the hood and I said no but Nissan recommended the timing chain service at 105,000. He told me to just keep the oil changed and until I start hearing something to not worry about it. He did go on to mention the pretensioner problems some Frontiers have but said I would hear it if that occurred long before any damage was done. What's the most mileage anyone has heard of without the timing chain service? Should I listen to him or insist on the service at 95-100K?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
What year and motor?

Since you said chain and not belt I assume you are talking about the 4.0L. In this case, I would not worry about it till the 100kish mark and then go from there.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Unless is makes the whine sound when revving, I wouldn't worry about it. Mine crapped out at 38K. Fixed by the dealership and been great since. Have almost 90K now.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
135,050 herre and no signs of it going out. Never had a problem with it.

Oh and I was really wondering why I never had the problem and everyone else has so I have been trying to dig up some info on the truck before I had it. I bought the truck with about 10,000 miles on it which would have been way to soon for it to happen so I don't think it was ever replaced.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
let it ride until you hear the whine. i recently bought $600 just in parts to replace pretty much everything involved with the timing chain(s) in the next week and a half. not money i would want to spend without having the issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Was at my mechanics today (out of warranty) and I was asking what they charged for the timing chain service (88,XXX miles). He asked if I was hearing any noises from under the hood and I said no but Nissan recommended the timing chain service at 105,000. He told me to just keep the oil changed and until I start hearing something to not worry about it. He did go on to mention the pretensioner problems some Frontiers have but said I would hear it if that occurred long before any damage was done. What's the most mileage anyone has heard of without the timing chain service? Should I listen to him or insist on the service at 95-100K?
Where did you ever read that Nissan recommends a timing chain service @ 105K?

·
Registered
398 Posts
let it ride until you hear the whine. i recently bought $600 just in parts to replace pretty much everything involved with the timing chain(s) in the next week and a half. not money i would want to spend without having the issue.
What else are you replacing while your in there? I priced out all the parts listed in the TSB from Courtesy Nissan and it was ~$100.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
TSB only replaces the tensioner shoes and the secondary chains. im replacing all 3 chains, all tensioners, shoes and guides, water pump, thermostat, belt, a whole slew of o-rings and seals and such... i can post the list later today if you want

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Not that I have ever heard of out of the horse's mouth but I also read the 100,000 thing on here. Don't even sweat it until it gives you trouble. It will only cause you more problems IF you drive it another 100,000 after it is broke.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
That explains it. You should be good to go after that.
yeah, thats pretty much the plan. im at about 80k miles right now, so once i open it up for this, i dont want to have to for anything again for a long, long time..

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Actually read it here on the site and not in the manual. Does Nissan recommend certain criteria (mileage, age) for doing the service?
you sure you are not confusing it for the 105k mile recommended service on the timing belt on the first gen 3.3L engines?

there is no recommended service that i know about on the second gen 4.0L engine for the timing chain.

·
Registered
398 Posts
TSB only replaces the tensioner shoes and the secondary chains. im replacing all 3 chains, all tensioners, shoes and guides, water pump, thermostat, belt, a whole slew of o-rings and seals and such... i can post the list later today if you want
Yes, please do post the list. I'm with you on doing everything while it's apart so you don't have to go back in for something else later. I'm going to have to change mine out sooner rather then later so I'm going to start picking up the pieces as I can afford too. A how-to writeup with pics would awesome too.

·
Super Moderator
11,605 Posts
you sure you are not confusing it for the 105k mile recommended service on the timing belt on the first gen 3.3L engines?

there is no recommended service that i know about on the second gen 4.0L engine for the timing chain.
You beat me to it!

Clint

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Yes, please do post the list. I'm with you on doing everything while it's apart so you don't have to go back in for something else later. I'm going to have to change mine out sooner rather then later so I'm going to start picking up the pieces as I can afford too. A how-to writeup with pics would awesome too.
I thought there was a full How To on here but I can't find it now? Here is some info. This is a sticky in the tech tips section.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/vq-engine-secondary-timing-chain-noise-revised-tsbs-52945/

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts