Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I discovered my 2007 4.0l Frontier (115K - 2nd gen I believe) needs a timing chain and I'm looking at doing it myself. I have a couple quick questions that I haven't been able to answer by searching the forums. After exerting the effort to get to the chain, I'm planning on replacing everything in there. The tool for compressing the tensioners, J-50246 is listed as essential, and comes with the pins to hold the tensioner squished down after compressing it. If I am replacing all the tensioners, is it safe to assume that they will come from the factory pre-compressed and that I won't need to buy the tool? Additionally as I have a 6-speed manual is it possible to put the vehicle in gear after rotating the engine to TDC and skip buying the fly wheel lock tool J-48761 (I'm guessing this answer is no). Even not buying one of the tools would be nice on the pocket book.

Thanks for any info. I've been reading a ton from this site and it's been very helpful.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
first question would be whats your experience level & do you have a DD or 2nd car?

have you checked with Advanced Auto/Napa/(local car parts store) for loaner tools? The PN# for the nissan tools are just that, but 90% of the required tools out there are common/shared across many platforms (eg. a torque wrench is a torque wrench) You just have to know the generic name of the tool (or be able to identify/describe it)

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Nissan TSB NTB09-128 is a good thing to have in hand. The Kent Moore J-50246 Tensioner Shoe Installer you mentioned and the J-48761 Ring Gear Stopper are required. As you know, the crankshaft has to be locked in place before anything is removed.

Here's the TSB:

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/attachments/f23/24582d1258476848-vq-engine-secondary-timing-chain-noise-revised-tsb-s-ntb09-128.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwis8cP_8JzRAhVp5YMKHSXTAJAQFggWMAc&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGWN5NOmyu_niKIoPN7rCtonh3PEA

1 - 3 of 3 Posts