Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of quick questions...

How loud is the timing chain when it starts to fail? Is it as loud as a supercharger? Is it always audible, regardless of temp and rpm?

Just curious. No problems yet, but I am paranoid lol

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Mine wasn't very loud. Over a certain rpm it would be drowned out by the normal engine noise. Someone's whining issue will be louder than others depending on how bad the chain has worn through.

·
Super Moderator
10,776 Posts
A couple of quick questions...

How loud is the timing chain when it starts to fail? Is it as loud as a supercharger? Is it always audible, regardless of temp and rpm?

Just curious. No problems yet, but I am paranoid lol
I had it in my 07 Pathfinder last year. My 08 Frontier never got it. Yes, it's a supercharger like whine that fluctuates with rpm and doesn't gat affected by weather.
My advice is to drive and enjoy the truck and "if" it happens then you deal with it. Why worry needlessly? Even though it happened in one of my trucks I never gave it any thought about the second truck.

Clint

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I heard one the other day and it was LOUD -- there was no doubt whatsoever that the owner required the service and he knew it. He had 100,000 on his Gen2. I imagine that it starts quietly and grows in volume as the operating hours pass.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, good advice. I'm just worried about getting this when the truck is out of warranty. But, if it takes a while to get really bad, then I won't worry.

Honestly though, I feel like a parent with a newborn lol

·
Super Moderator
10,776 Posts
Well, good advice. I'm just worried about getting this when the truck is out of warranty. But, if it takes a while to get really bad, then I won't worry.

Honestly though, I feel like a parent with a newborn lol
How old/miles on your truck? Powertrain warranty is 5 years 60,000 miles. You can also do an extended warranty if you'd like.

Clint

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its an 06 with 38,000. Seems like its about the right time for it to happen. Hoping it will never happen though lol

·
Super Moderator
10,776 Posts
Its an 06 with 38,000. Seems like its about the right time for it to happen. Hoping it will never happen though lol
You could have bought a Nissan warranty up to 36,000 miles. There is a good chance your truck will never get the whine.

Clint

·
Registered
637 Posts
What makes you say that? Maybe I need to buy a extended warranty.
Not everyone has the issue. There is a 2nd gen Xterra with almost 200k thats never had the whine. Do some more searching on the issue and you will find lots of info about it.

·
Super Moderator
10,776 Posts
What makes you say that? Maybe I need to buy a extended warranty.
If it makes you feel more secure, by all means get the warranty.
What I meant is not everyone will get the noise and this forum is just a small percentage of Frontier owners out there. It's just you're very aware of it as it's discussed here at length.

Clint

·
Registered
398 Posts
It's just you're very aware of it as it's discussed here at length.
Clint
Quoted for Truth. I could have sworn I heard the whine over the last two days during start up when the engine was dead cold. When I started it up this morning, I didn't hear a thing. Go figure, I'll just keep an eye on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts