Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 5k ago my VQ 05 frontier (156k) started to make what sounded like the dreaded timing chain guide whine. Lately it sounded like it was getting a bit louder. I was just about to order the parts to do the replacement and the noise just went away. Is this a sign that something catastrophic is going to happen or could i have been a misdiagnoses? What else could make the wirrring sound and then silence?

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Was the oil low?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Oddly, I am in a similar situation. Over this winter and early spring, I noticed a significan amount of timing chain whine...at around 85000 miles. Planned on ordering the parts this month for a diy but checked for it again and it's nonexistent. The motor ticks like a subaru or like a diesel...but I dont think thats an issue.

Does weather play a role? Maybe oil filters (the fram that i was using during that time was much smaller than the usual bosch 3323 that I always run).....

Your mileage is much higher and it would seem that the plastic guides would see some wear by then. Either way, im sub'd

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I found that with my 05 Xterra I would get a whine even if the oil was just a half a quart low.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Also it would whine on really cold days, like colder than -20C. Once the engine was warm it stopped. I always used good synthetic oil and under normal conditions never had the whine. Just one more reason to check the oil every fill up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts