Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to do a new chain on my 98 4 banger 4x4 only had 104k miles on it.
Chains look good but the left tensioner is worn and slapping around.
I searched and saw a few on the board bought kits off ebay...around $100
Eportuning was one vendor... these kits seem inexpensive compare to Nissan stuff...3-400$ less... what the difference or is nissan using Chinese kits and
marking it up big time?

Also I really need a link to setting up the chains... a how to link ..
I found a factory maual but will be days before I see if I won the bid.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
get your chains/sprockets from autozone(beckly,bently whatever the brand is), get the guides and tensioners from nissan. The ebay kits are junk, I bought one and bought the parts from the above mentioned. The tensioner did not hold pressure like it should to keep tension on the chain and the driverside guide was not cast correctly and the timming chain cover would not fit back on the block. It is such a pain to have to do it twice like I did. Just man up and get the good parts the first go around. Also if you have a haynes manual it tells you to put the cams in with the lobes on the number one cylinder facing each other. If you do this you will have just put the intake cam on the exhaust and the exhaust cam on the intake. Other than them telling you the cams wrong the rest of the install is fairly good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the same problem.. Except the tensionsr went into my water pump and caused my head gasket to go... How much are they from nissan? Did u win the bid?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The guides were around 50 bucks each, the lower tensioner was 90ish, the upper was reused, the drive sprocket was 9, the cam sprockets were 9 or 12, the idler sprocket was reused the chains were around 20 bucks each. I did not keep my receipts so I am not 100% on the money. Be sure to get a front timing cover gasket set from AZ. You will more than likely need the new harmonic balancer seal and will need the new o-ring seals for the oil passage ways. I found some pics from my install if you want me to send them to you?

·
Registered
20 Posts
The guides were around 50 bucks each, the lower tensioner was 90ish, the upper was reused, the drive sprocket was 9, the cam sprockets were 9 or 12, the idler sprocket was reused the chains were around 20 bucks each. I did not keep my receipts so I am not 100% on the money. Be sure to get a front timing cover gasket set from AZ. You will more than likely need the new harmonic balancer seal and will need the new o-ring seals for the oil passage ways. I found some pics from my install if you want me to send them to you?
yaaaa those pics woud b great!!! And thanks forbtge help!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I will try to post tonight when I get to the computer that has the images on it. Think I also have some screen shots of the Nissan manual. Whatever I have I will post....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I will try to post tonight when I get to the computer that has the images on it. Think I also have some screen shots of the Nissan manual. Whatever I have I will post....
Sorry guys, I can't seem to locate the pics. I will keep looking....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I won the bid on the FSM but the haynes manual is just as good in my opinion except cam lobe position when lining up the chain. ( lobes need to point outward 180* from each other)
I bought all my parts
tensioners/guides
2 chains
Oil passage seals
misc stuff, gaskets etc all from abc nissan ( great deal btw) Nissan labeled is what I wanted.

I got it all together and it runs fantastic... I need to fine tune the timing but
if I had to do it over I could do it in a day..
shoot me a pm if you need pics or info.

I ran into a Nissan master tech at the burger stand yesterday and he said you just need to do the lower tensioner and guide at 80-90k and you will have many trouble free years of service.
He said once teh tensioner wears if knock of your timing as much as 15* when the tensioner is real badly worn.
Just need to take a few day the chains t before the problem arises and you start chasing other stuff instead of the real problem.

·
Registered
148 Posts
IMO this is a tough job for the average DIY'er, if your going to do it I'd use geniune nissan parts if at all possible. It's not a job you wana do twice cause you installed some cheap after market part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts