Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm changing my 2.4 dohc timing chains, upper and lower. I dismantled some of it last night, put it on tdc on compression stroke, found upper chain marks to be off cam gears by one link. Is this normal???

truck has only 108k miles i've owned for the last 30k and have done reg maintenance, truck drove fine no backfires etc, until the timing chain got progressively louder, but still drove the same before i started dismantle..

Should i put new chains off the mark like these? or follow the rule of thumb with the arrows on the gears and chain links.....

totally confused on this one.. it been to many years between doing timing chains... :comphead:

HELP !!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
19,585 Posts
I'm changing my 2.4 dohc timing chains, upper and lower. I dismantled some of it last night, put it on tdc on compression stroke, found upper chain marks to be off cam gears by one link. Is this normal???

truck has only 108k miles i've owned for the last 30k and have done reg maintenance, truck drove fine no backfires etc, until the timing chain got progressively louder, but still drove the same before i started dismantle..

Should i put new chains off the mark like these? or follow the rule of thumb with the arrows on the gears and chain links.....

totally confused on this one.. it been to many years between doing timing chains... :comphead:

HELP !!!!!!

Maybe you should send NISLO a PM. He might be able to help you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
PM'd Nislo, hopefully he'll respond... anyone else have any imput I can chew on?

:read:
also, book says head has to be removed because of the way the head gasket extends into the upper and lower timing covers.
Has anyone done this without removing the head? I'm very tempted to leave it on and just seal it up very tight. as with the oil pan, book says oil pan is optional, why wouldn't the head be optional??

TIA,

Rob

for those who may be interested why this failed prematurely at only 108k miles..

I've removed covers and found that the lower tensioner was BROKE !!!! the tension piston was fully extended into the chain.. luckily I had enough sense to realize after about 200 miles:censor: that something was obviously wrong internally with the motor..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
142 views and no one knows anything......? how lame is that?

Don't worry I've got it all dialed in now...

·
Super Moderator
19,585 Posts
142 views and no one knows anything......? how lame is that?

Don't worry I've got it all dialed in now...
It is possible that nobody knows. It most likely is uncommon to replace timing chains on 2.4 liters. I had one in my 95 and it was still running strong at 165,000 when I sold it. Glad that you got it figured out. :goodjob:

·
Registered
24 Posts
witch way were they off one link before or after. if before it would be more bottom end less highway speed. if after more highway speed less bottom end. my old truck was set up before for 4wheeling.it was lucky to do 55 on the highway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts