Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had to do my belts again,
so while i was in there i decided to double check on my timing belt and tensioner
and i noticed that it could be in the wrong position
my spring seems to have two positions alot of tension
or just mild tension
if you think of a clock with the stud in the block at 2 o'clock
i can start at 12 o'clock with no tensin i can either turn the tensioner clockwise to take up the slack and either stop
@2 o'clock with mild tension and if i go past the then it gets really tight and has a lump @ 3 before going to 4 o'clock where it has a little bit better tension on the spring and a little less on the belt but still tight if i go any farther to 5 or past it gets too loose .......
it says in the book to do turns clockwise......
what i am thinking is only half a turn or less i can go one full turn clockwise and stop back at 2 o'clock but it is on the high side of the lump (tightest [email protected]'clock)if i go past the spring is way to tight and slips off.......all the time but if it stays on the high side of tight then the spring will stay on...
that's the way i have been running it for the past few days since i did the timing belt but i think it was a little to tight and wining a bit i have had a couple of people listen to it and we all think the same thing the belt was a little to tight....i could have backed it off a bit counter clockwise to around 1 o'clock at still a full turn and run that or just half a turn at 2 or 4 with mild tension .......????????
where did u put yours at?????

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update:
I got everything together yesterday. I left it set at 4 o'clock with only a half turn on the tensioner, my little wine that i could hear was gone. sounds a little better at idle but that could be from the wine missing out of the picture with the odd sound it was making and everything seems to run a little smoother......
still not fully happy with the readings i am getting from my 0bd2 reader so I think my second cat is plugged from all the dust and crap from the first cat falling apart.........
so i need to do a cat by pass and see what happens, i think a set of Doug thorley headers is in order.....
so a few more runs to hopefully complete a drive cycle and she should run even better ...Great.... now to find out what our truck have to do to complete there drive cycle???????

1 - 2 of 2 Posts