Nissan Frontier Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Frontier Crew Cab 4WD
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Was your truck leaking oil & coolant after the belt broke, or after it came back from the mechanic?
I don't know. I had it towed to the mechanic, then I had to go to work, and my wife had it towed home. I only ever saw the drips on the driveway after that. And it was pointing downhill. So it may not have even dripped on flat ground. Either way, I don't want to jeff with a 200k mile engine that's certified well-done toast. The JDM option looks pretty reasonable. I was going to part out the truck, but now I am leaning toward DIYing the JDM swap.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Can your elaborate on that point?
Its all in that thread i posted with pics. Even though the JDM's are low mileage It'll give you a great idea of how the previous owner took care of it. The 2nd JDM the guy got looked damn near brand new under the valve cover.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had problem with a Jeep i had years ago and took it to a mechanic. He used some kind of Diagnostic piece of equipment and told me the engine had a stuck valve. Mechanic pulls the heads off engine and does valve job and new valves and engine still had same problem. So a friend of mine says to check the distributor cap and we take the cap off and it was cracked. Put new cap on and end of problem. The Mechanic was WRONG.........

·
Registered
506 Posts
I had problem with a Jeep i had years ago and took it to a mechanic. He used some kind of Diagnostic piece of equipment and told me the engine had a stuck valve. Mechanic pulls the heads off engine and does valve job and new valves and engine still had same problem. So a friend of mine says to check the distributor cap and we take the cap off and it was cracked. Put new cap on and end of problem. The Mechanic was WRONG.........
In your case, what engine did that particular Jeep have? I know Jeep had a few non-interference engines available.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Could it be dripping liquids because the mechanic didn't bother to reseal anything after he opened it up? This is what I would guess at.

Depending, you could get yourself a simple snake cam tool, take out the spark plugs and look in the cylinders yourself to see what is up. However, it is an interference engine... But peace of mind seeing for yourself.

Ryobi ZRRP4206 TEK4 Digital Inspection Camera (Renewed) - - Amazon.com

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Boroscope just delivered. I'll take a look myself when I get a chance. Just hard to spend any time on it in 90 degree heat when nothing I do in the short term is gonna get it running again anyway.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Boroscope just delivered. I'll take a look myself when I get a chance. Just hard to spend any time on it in 90 degree heat when nothing I do in the short term is gonna get it running again anyway.
A lot of these boroscopes are attached to smartphones. If yours in one of these, it would be instructive for use to see a few images.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Mine is supposed to work with an Android phone. No joy yet for whatever reason, but it definitely works on my laptop, so I can share images when the time comes.

·
Registered
446 Posts
lol
See post 15.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts