Nissan Frontier Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Thoughts on interstate batteries ?
Ive had 4 of them that lasted about 7 years on average, which is good enough for me. Some say they used to be better? but they always worked for me.

Never had a problem with marine optimas either. I'd buy one without worry.

Reactions: raine

·
Registered
305 Posts
Napa brand AGM in my Frontier. They had the size needed for my Frontier so that's why i bought from Napa. I tend to buy parts from all over. I have a couple of Duracell spares i bought from Batteries Plus. One in the back of my Frontier that charges when I'm driving and one in my 1987 Jeep Comanche that charges while driving. I use the simple Battery Doctor system and it's worked for years in my Jeep Comanche so i installed one in my Frontier. So far so good on the Frontier with this system. I know there's many ways for a dual battery system and this works for me.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was at Batteries Plus a few days ago looking to get a battery for my Tablet and a guy was carrying in an Odyssey that was bad. The guy said it was his third one that quit working in his Jeep Gladiator..😳😳 That's what he said, maybe something drawing off the battery while Gladiator was sitting in garage, but 3 batteries ? Odyssey batteries are one of the top if not top Batteries. Anyway that's what the guy said.

·
Premium Member
8,155 Posts
Since we're all chucking in battery experiences, I can say that the one brand I will never go with / never recommend is Duralast from Autozone. The price is cheap for a reason.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Since we're all chucking in battery experiences, I can say that the one brand I will never go with / never recommend is Duralast from Autozone. The price is cheap for a reason.
Mine is holding up well.

Reactions: raine

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oh sure, where the heck were you when mine died across the street from Auto Zone day before yesterday?
:mad: LOL

I went with the Duralast Gold, hopefully I will get some good years out of it.
they do have a three year full replacement warranty. For what it is worth o_O

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (30,000km)
424 Posts
Kirkland Signature...not sure who makes them, but 4 year free replacement warranty and then goes to prorated after that. I noticed today my battery (replaced less than a year ago), after a couple really bad draining episodes which reduced the battery to very low levels, was likely damaged and only holding about 12,0 volts now. Still started great and would not have even noticed except I am in the middle of a HAM radio installation so was doing some wire running and voltage tests.

Just brought it in, told them it was not holding proper voltage, and swapped it out in the parking lot...done. Brand new 4 year warranty, Winter is coming here and there is no screwing around with a bad battery at -30c !!!

Back up to 12.6 volts or so when resting...

·
Premium Member
8,155 Posts
Mine is holding up well.
Of course - I was just speaking from my experience with them; if yours is holding up well then at least one of us is having a better experience with the brand (y)

Oh sure, where the heck were you when mine died across the street from Auto Zone day before yesterday?
:mad: LOL

I went with the Duralast Gold, hopefully I will get some good years out of it.
they do have a three year full replacement warranty. For what it is worth o_O
LOL my bad sir

Kirkland Signature...not sure who makes them, but 4 year free replacement warranty and then goes to prorated after that. I noticed today my battery (replaced less than a year ago), after a couple really bad draining episodes which reduced the battery to very low levels, was likely damaged and only holding about 12,0 volts now. Still started great and would not have even noticed except I am in the middle of a HAM radio installation so was doing some wire running and voltage tests.

Just brought it in, told them it was not holding proper voltage, and swapped it out in the parking lot...done. Brand new 4 year warranty, Winter is coming here and there is no screwing around with a bad battery at -30c !!!

Kirkland Signature is a Costco brand on this side of the border... where I buy my Interstate's from :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thoughts on interstate batteries ?
I hear that Interstate doesn't make their own batteries anymore and that they aren't what they once were. However, I have 4 of their marine batteries in my boat, and have not had any issue with them yet--going on 3 years. I'd proby buy them again if i was sticking with lead acid, but will probly go ahead and jump to lithium when these die.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I hear that Interstate doesn't make their own batteries anymore and that they aren't what they once were. However, I have 4 of their marine batteries in my boat, and have not had any issue with them yet--going on 3 years. I'd proby buy them again if i was sticking with lead acid, but will probly go ahead and jump to lithium when these die.
Are you confusing lithium with AGM? The AGM's are fancy lead-acid batteries.
Lithiums are totally different technology and materials. And they cost $650+ for the cheap ones.

·
Registered
701 Posts

This seems to be the best warranty for a battery I have seen lately...?? I may have to rejoin Costco just for this ???

·
Premium Member
8,475 Posts
My highly anticipated Odyssey AGM lasted only 2 yrs, then went kaput. But, because I stupidly bought it online it then becomes HIGHLY inconvenient to simply replace it and get back on the road in short order.
Moral of the story: buy your vehicle batteries LOCAL and at a chain-store if you travel much.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
My highly anticipated Odyssey AGM lasted only 2 yrs, then went kaput. But, because I stupidly bought it online it then becomes HIGHLY inconvenient to simply replace it and get back on the road in short order.
Moral of the story: buy your vehicle batteries LOCAL and at a chain-store if you travel much.
That goes for:
1) Anything heavy or large causing big return shipping bills,
2) Anything you need today to keep your truck up 'n running.

There seems to be a high failure rate with batteries in recent years. Not sure what's going on with that.

·
Premium Member
8,155 Posts
Costco Interstate batteries were made by Johnson Controls until 3 years ago, when they sold their battery division to Clarios.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I don't know why anyone would go through all that work to install a Group 31 battery when a Group 24F drops right in?
I just got a $120 Walmart Maxx 24F last night, haven't put it in yet. 725 CCA even though the website shows 750. Looks like it will fit, maybe a little long for the current base.
Thanks @smj999smj . The 24F was a perfect fit, it even fit in the flimsy plastic tray.
An urgent battery need, and a lack of time to modify for a group 31, made the 24F an easy choice.
Plenty of amps for my application.
I didn't fight with the battery diaper, seemed like it would tear if I tried to get it on. So I folded it up and stuffed it between the battery and the hot coolant reservoir. Batteries, for the most part, have been in hot engine bays since day one. Not sure why they suddenly need a half-assed insulating wrap around them.

OP @Lgos - if you haven't bought already, the 24F fits the bill.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yup im in the same boat right now 19 PX4 battery is on its way out. Any thoughts on Duralast Platinum EFB VS Super Start Platinum? I know AGM is in the Super Start and is better. Dont know the details about the Duralast..

21 - 40 of 45 Posts