Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 2WD V6 SL. I think the battery is getting weak and struggles to start the truck. I bought the truck used a month ago. I can't tell how old the battery is but it looks like it might be the original battery which would mean it is 3+ to 4 years old. RENAULT NISSAN 12V-L2 63Ah 550A (SAE) 24410 9DJOA. I'm thinking about trying a Walmart Everstart H5 650CCA battery $149.84 which is supposed to fit the truck and at least $50 cheaper than the Auto Supply batteries and I understand these are the same batteries as the Duralast, with just a different sticker applied. Are the Walmart Everstart batteries just as good as the rest of the more expensive stuff out there at the different Auto Supply stores?

Appreciate it
Larry G

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I just got a $120 Walmart Maxx 24F last night, haven't put it in yet. 725 CCA even though the website shows 750. Looks like it will fit, maybe a little long for the current base.
Over the last year I bought 2 other Walmart batteries. Both failed within 6 months. One of my kids were out of state and Walmart refused to honor the warranty, said it was the manufacturers problem. So they went across the street and bought a Diehard. The other was replaced no questions. Hope I have better luck with this, or I'm done with Walmart. And I've been a big cheerleader of Walmart batteries for a long time.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
I have batteries from Walmart in my 1998 Frontier, 2004 Frontier, 1988 Mazda truck, 2011 Yukon, and 1970 VW. Walmart batteries are made by Johnson Controls/Clarios, who make 85% of the auto batteries in the USA, including those with Autozone, O'Reilly, Interstate labels pasted on them.

I'm in Arizona, and heat kills batteries...4 years would be considered EXCELLENT battery life here, average about 2.5 it seems...

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I have batteries from Walmart in my 1998 Frontier, 2004 Frontier, 1988 Mazda truck, and 1970 VW. Walmart batteries are made by Johnson Controls/Clarios, who make 85% of the auto batteries in the USA, including those with Autozone, O'Reilly, Interstate labels pasted on them.

I'm in Arizona, and heat kills batteries...
The two Walmart batteries I got in the last month are made in Mexico, with serial number beginning with EP.
Someone suggested those "EP" serial numbers are from East Penn. Makes sense, but I haven't tried to confirm it.
Both batteries had a date sticker for the next month... as in Oct 2022 for the one bought last night. So they were actually made who knows when, took a train ride from Mexico to Boston, and still end up on a retail shelf a month early. Either that or Walmart updates the date stickers on the inventory every month.
I liked the old date codes that were melted into the case.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Another vote for an AGM replacement - they're completely sealed, so you never have to deal with corroded terminals or rusted-out hold-down brackets again.

They're also made with more lead plates than conventional batteries, so they maintain higher voltage while cranking the starter.

O' Reilly's carries the "Super Start Platinum" brand of AGM batteries, which are made in USA by East Penn.

East Penn makes good stuff.

Quite a few 2nd-Generation Frontier owners are installing the much larger Group 31 size. It fits in the same space as the original battery, but may require some alterations to the battery cables to reach the terminals on the new battery (see this thread). It costs just about the same as the original size, so it's a better value.

·
Premium Member
2020 PRO4X
175 Posts
I will also recommend jumping over to a AGM. Do consider the hold hold down, your stock hold down may not be wide enough for the new battery but should be ok if you stay within the group size. I for example went it an X2Power Group 24F, so my hold down didn't work. Got myself a hold down from ZSPEC in blue so that it would match. Their hardware is a little cleaner than the standard hook and nut.

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Car Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
2020 PRO-4X, Icom IC-229H ham radio, 4K front and rear dashcam, Leer canopy
456 Posts
Do you mean non-flooded, like an agm? Agm's are an advanced lead acid.
Non lead-acid, like lithium, are huge money, like $600-800+. Each.
Sorry should have been more specific. I was referring to the old style vented ones. The plates are built different (sturdier) due to the venting. I had an AGM die and since it was outside of warranty I opened it up to see if I could determine the failure mode. Turned out to be an inter cell connector had fallen off because the plate was pretty much gone.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
4,802 Posts
Another vote for an AGM replacement - they're completely sealed, so you never have to deal with corroded terminals or rusted-out hold-down brackets again.

They're also made with more lead plates than conventional batteries, so they maintain higher voltage while cranking the starter.

O' Reilly's carries the "Super Start Platinum" brand of AGM batteries, which are made in USA by East Penn.

East Penn makes good stuff.

Quite a few 2nd-Generation Frontier owners are installing the much larger Group 31 size. It fits in the same space as the original battery, but may require some alterations to the battery cables to reach the terminals on the new battery (see this thread). It costs just about the same as the original size, so it's a better value.
The Optima Red Top 34/78 is a perfect fit for my 1st Gen.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Have you given the battery a good charge. Clean, grease and tighten the terminals. I like to get every bit of life out of my batteries before I put them off to pasture. I also carry a jump starter for when the battery can not start the car so I have some wiggle room. I got the walmart battery last time. So far so good. the Frontier will take 2 different size batteries. I went for the larger as that is what came stock on my 2006. I think they shrunk it for the later years. I also went with the one that has more CCA.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Have you given the battery a good charge. Clean, grease and tighten the terminals. I like to get every bit of life out of my batteries before I put them off to pasture. I also carry a jump starter for when the battery can not start the car so I have some wiggle room. I got the walmart battery last time. So far so good. the Frontier will take 2 different size batteries. I went for the larger as that is what came stock on my 2006. I think they shrunk it for the later years. I also went with the one that has more CCA.
I always did the same thing but there always came a time where the battery was so dead even a boost wouldnt help. And id get constantly stuck in the parking lot. Its embarrassing.

To the OP. There should be a sticker on battery that states month and year the battery was made like (12/18). Anything over 5 years i would just consider replacing the battery

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Thoughts on interstate batteries ?
They don't make their own batteries anymore - they just slap their own label on batteries made by someone else (i e. Exide, Clarios/Johnson Controls, etc.).

The Optima Red Top 34/78 is a perfect fit for my 1st Gen.
I've heard lots of complaints about Optima's quality lately. Apparently, they aren't nearly the battery they used to be.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I live in FL and batteries seem to die very quickly here, every 3-4 years or so at best. The heat just zaps 'em.

At the first sign of a hard start I drive straight to the auto parts store and get it tested with the anticipation of replacing it then and there. I hate getting stranded, especially since my spare vehicle is a motorcycle which doesn't carry a big car battery all that well...

·
Premium Member
7,053 Posts
This.
I've always just gone with a parts store chain AGM battery. Makes warranty replacement easy enough. I usually get 5ish years out of the parts store batteries, OEM's tend to get me a little longer.

·
Premium Member
8,156 Posts
Thoughts on interstate batteries ?
For the last 10 years I've used Interstate in all my vehicles and I get them from Costco. The price is good, they have good cranking power, they are trouble-free, and the Costco warranty exchange service is effortless (bring it in if one fails, they literally give you a new one no questions asked).

I've heard lots of complaints about Optima's quality lately. Apparently, they aren't nearly the battery they used to be.
Not lately... for at least 15 years now from what I've experienced. They used to be the go-to for high-end car audio comps.
Before Optima's became a well-known brand, that's when I remember them still being exceptional.

I think many people aren't aware that the reliability and performance of a battery is highly affected by not just how they are used, but where they are used (vehicle, load, climate). IMO Battery performance is a case-by-case thing, really

·
Registered
702 Posts
Most modern day car batteries are sealed/maintenance free. Not too many need to be topped off with distilled water or have electrolytes added anymore.
Most car battery warranties ONLY cover up to three years (from my most recent research via Google and my last winters personal experience replacing a 7 year old battery). Not long ago (10 years or so), there were brands that had a five year warranty (Die Hard Gold comes to mind). I live in the upper midwest so CCA (cold cranking amps) makes a difference in the winter time here. I know what the cold can do to a battery's performance. I also know, after speaking with several desert dwellers how the heat dwindles the life out of your car batteries.
Most car batteries used to last 5-7 years in my area, and that's not using any trickle charges. But I have noticed recently that the batteries seem to last 3-5 years on average (just my informal poll) and that's with some needing a trickle charger to maintain performance. Seems prices for the batteries are going up, and the quality/performance has gone down (like everything else). Just my personal observation.

On a side note I own a 20 year old Harley that has had only 3 batteries in it's lifetime. It does get ridden, except in winter, where it sits on an old Walmart trickle charger (from 1997 🤣). But even those batteries...the first two lasted 8 years each. This last one seems to be lasting well so far, but I tend to monitor it more as I have lost faith in what I considered a "normal" lifespan. Seems with less maintenance comes less reliability or a shorter lifespan...just like most things made nowadays.
I will get off my soapbox now. Thank you for reading this rant 😁✌

1 - 20 of 45 Posts