Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may have read from my other thread, my front end got kind of messed up last week during a snow storm. My front manik front bumper and lights are trashed, and since the insurance company cannot order new ones for me, they are cutting me a check for the original value of the parts, they said $900 is a good number (it's more than fair!!). since the parts are no longer available, I figured I'd use the money for a lift. Nothing crazy high, just higher and practical. But I'm lost as to which setup to go with. I dont "hardcore' offroad the truck, just trail riding locally to get to hiking spots. I was lookin gat the PRG spacer lift with shackles, but I dont want to deal with the coil bucket contact. So other than the spacer lifts, I looked at the PRG Radflo 2.0 package that comes with the front radflos and the rear shackles and shocks. Is this overkill or just right for whatI'm looking for? If anyone has an opinion, please post up. Definitely looking for bang for the buck, but with quality and useability with it.

Here's the setup I'm looking at http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/4wd_prg_radflo_basic_coilover_package/

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
if you get the spacers they have bumpstops now for the stock uca's to avoid coilbucket contact but i like everyone else started with spacers and then upgraded a little while later i would say radflo package hands down:)also if your in an 06 with the original stock shocks on it its prolly time to change em anyway

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
i think thats a good place to start. however, i think youll personally be happier getting the extend radflos and a prg upper arm. but i know money is always an issue. just the radflos is an upgrade though.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another quick question for you all, is there a need or benefit to changing out the oem swaylinks for the PRG ones?

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
there prolly just a lil stronger than stock but most people that offroad hard enough to bend swaybar endlinks dont run the sway bar cause it limits your wheel travel

·
Registered
837 Posts
Another quick question for you all, is there a need or benefit to changing out the oem swaylinks for the PRG ones?
Probably are really jammy parts to have if you plan on lifting more than 2 or 3 inches but you'd be just fine if you were just planning on the 2 inch spacer or coilover lift

Altho its a more labour intensive route but would be ultimately cheaper and would save you $$$ for other mods, you could try the Bilstein ride height adjustable front shocks. You'd have to reuse your coil and hardware and wouldn't be as heavy duty of a ride but would certainly get you a tougher 2 inches for your light offroading needs. You'd also get a LOT less upper bucket contact with these lifts if you don't intend on getting new upper arms

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=435_413_109_273_218&products_id=5431

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Spacers are a waste of money. Aren't you getting a after-market bumper also?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spacers are a waste of money. Aren't you getting a after-market bumper also?
No bumper :( I cant find one I like, and the ones I do like (arb and KMA) are all way too long of a wait, So the INs co is just cutting a check to me and replacing only the oe body parts

·
Registered
637 Posts
There are other lift options as well depending on how high you want to go. I am in the same boat as you and am eventually planning to upgrade what I have. Actually, the PRG spacer lift is fine for looks, not sure about function as I havent really taken it offroad. I havent had any UCA contact yet, but drive fairly conservative.

Anyway, some other options are:

Old Man Emu struts and springs. Lift is around 1.5" - 2"s, here it rides like a dream.

For a little additional lift I was wondering how the Bilstein adjutables set at .5" to 1" with OME coils would do. I dont think anyone has tried it yet. I hear Bilstein adjustables ride like crap at the full 2" setting (however Tacoma guys run it all the time without complaint and seems like it works fine for them, not sure whats different). So this way you should still get decent ride and a little more lift than with the OME struts.

·
Registered
400 Posts
PRG kit hands down
i would go with the add a leaf=better ride
the shackle will hyperextend your leaf packs

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
I'd run the icon over the radflo, the radflo coil overs do not like the northeast at all. Every one I know that ran them, jeep guys, have all swapped them out for fox or saws. i'd also look into the icon coil over myself

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd run the icon over the radflo, the radflo coil overs do not like the northeast at all. Every one I know that ran them, jeep guys, have all swapped them out for fox or saws. i'd also look into the icon coil over myself
Got any links or where to find? what was the issue with the Radflos?

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
the salt kills them, even with cleaning and taking care of them they just fall apart you should see mine, also when you install them use lots of never seize on them

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Prerunner parts also has a deal on just the coilovers. He is selling the them for just $850.
Prerunnerparts - Services That's a great on 2.5 coilovers.
The coilovers normally come with a rust resistant zinc coating. There is also a IVD plating that provides additional resistance against corrosion/rust for places that use salt on the roads.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
I live in the NW so there is no salt here (not trying to rub it in). However it does rain all the time. What is the life of coilovers with occasional minor trail offroading, mostly freeway commuting?

I was thinking of going the OME route due to durability and no maint. But it will still cost me around $500 where I could spend a few hundred more and get coilovers.

And I think Mike mentioned one time that you dont necessarily have to get the UCA's with the coilovers, you can always upgrade later?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
greg's prices are better than what i posted

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it. I'm used tothe old school chevys where it was just rearching the spring packs and you were good to go. I'm going to call Greg hopefully on Friday and see if he can put a package together for me with the Icon cos, rear shocks and a set of shackles. I'm trying to stay away from replacing the upper ca's since I really dont need anything with that much travel. If he can come up with something in my price range, I'll put the order in then and there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts