Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SE CC 4.0L 4x4 6SpdMan
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just broke the 100k mile mark on my 05CCV6SE4x4 and I can tell the pressure plate isnt as strong as it used to be. Looking for recommendations for brand and type of replacement clutch kit, please.

I like the idea of a firmer pressure plate, so considering a kit that comes with a HD pressure plate, but is there a benefit to a Stage 1 racing clutch kit for a truck and driver that is just a typical commuter and road tripper?

Would a Stage 1 kit last longer under normal driving conditions, or would it wear out quicker under normal/typical driving conditions considering that it is for more higher performance driving?

Brand? I see a lot of Exedy, LuK and Beck Arnley kits online. What should I be looking for?
Should I have the flywheel removed and turned while at it?

Thank you

-Drew in Monrovia (LA, California)

·
Gone but not forgotten Member
5,729 Posts
Should I have the flywheel removed and turned while at it?
Thank you
-Drew in Monrovia (LA, California)
You have a dual mass flywheel and they cannot be turned.
My clutch was rebuilt by McLeod Racing in Placentia.
Gave them my pressure plate and a throw out bearing.
I had a contact(co-driver) who arranged everything.
Took it in the morning and was done that afternoon.
Just hit the flywheel with 80 grit.
Raced the Baja 1000 with it and is still in the truck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just replaced my clutch a little over a month ago, I went back with OEM parts, a Exedy clutch pack and a Luk flywheel. Parts were relatively inexpensive. My choice was made easier due to the fact both of these companies are customers of the company I work for. That and I don't do any real towing or hauling. I had 100,000 miles on them, so if the replacement is as good as the original should be good for some time. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
What do you mean by stage 1. That stage term should really be deleted from the vocabulary of anything auto related.
Our options are a little limited when it comes to replacement parts. OEM, Luk or Excedy (which I think is OEM), Jim Wolf (would not use his light weight flywheel), or center force. I personally think that you might get more life out of the centerforce, but it is quite a bit more money, and the least sought after option. When my time for a new clutch comes I think I am going to go with the excedy/luk parts.

·
Gone but not forgotten Member
5,729 Posts
The McLeod cost around $300.

·
Registered
2005 SE CC 4.0L 4x4 6SpdMan
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your recommendations. Replaced the clutch. The DMF had hot spots so it was replaced too (LuK). Turned out pilot bushing was well worn and a bit damaged. Guy said it was partially responsible for the hot spots on flywheel and pressure plate.
Installed a Stage 1 kit.
How should the clutch pedal feel? Stiffer and harder? Thought I would be stalling a couple times while getting used to it, but super smooth action. So smooth that it actually concerns me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts