Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Frontier that has the utili-track system with the 4 cleats. Does anyone have any suggestions with links for tie downs that work better than others with them?

I was trying to decide between the standard ratchet kind vs. rope lock kind, etc. If the ratchet type, any better than others?

The main purpose will be to keep light/normal weight things from shifting around...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If you have light weight items of different size, bungies are good, and you can get the bar that spreads to keep items against the cab or tailgate. I use ratchet straps for anything large or heavy that i need to stabilize. The harbor freight 4 pack is solid, and claims each one can hold 400lbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
16 Posts
Those look amazing - it takes away the biggest negative of the ratchet style - getting them started... ::smile::

Hahaha. Exactly why I got them. I have a few other heavier duty straps I never use because they are such a pain.

I picked up my set from Home Depot a few years ago. Never had an issue with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Couldn't tell you. I use rope with a bolin knot and half hitch on other end.
I was waiting for this response. I too use rope. I have a back Rack, that I unbolted from my "05 NISMO and bolted on my '16 SV or SL (I forget) and lots of rope. That is the beauty of the cleats. And a "truckers hitch" comes in handy if you really need to tie something down really tight. I wish these trucks all had the "cleat bars" that you see on the same trucks in the Carribbean and in Europe on the outside of the bed. Think of how easy it would be to tie things down with those. Oh well. We don't get diesel versions of these trucks here either. :)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I was waiting for this response. I too use rope. I have a back Rack, that I unbolted from my "05 NISMO and bolted on my '16 SV or SL (I forget) and lots of rope. That is the beauty of the cleats. And a "truckers hitch" comes in handy if you really need to tie something down really tight. I wish these trucks all had the "cleat bars" that you see on the same trucks in the Carribbean and in Europe on the outside of the bed. Think of how easy it would be to tie things down with those. Oh well. We don't get diesel versions of these trucks here either. :)
Exactly!! My son uses ratchet straps and I can tie down quicker than he can ratchet his in. No self respecting hijo de un vaquero would use anything but a rope.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If you know how to get the strap in a ratchet strap totally undone you can just slide it up until its somewhat tight then ratchet it a few times to make sure its wound around and your done.

Reactions: NYCe_Frontier

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
If you know how to get the strap in a ratchet strap totally undone you can just slide it up until its somewhat tight then ratchet it a few times to make sure its wound around and your done.
I was thinking the same. Hook each end, give the long end a quick pull, ratchet it about 3 times and give the extra a quick half hitch....

·
Registered
504 Posts
I was thinking the same. Hook each end, give the long end a quick pull, ratchet it about 3 times and give the extra a quick half hitch....
That and the fact that I was never a boy scout...so any knot I tie could not be considered reliable :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
So along these same lines........
Has anyone ever any sort of rods between the rails or onto the cleats? (Like Crossbars) I want to have two rods or bars that go across the truck bed so I can mount a long roof box to carry my skis and poles in. This way, it is easier to reach the box and it also is down below the top of the truck so there is far less drag going down the road. Anyone ever do this? Have any ideas for what to use to work with the Nissan Bed Rails???

Ty

·
Registered
69 Posts
yes, they make a bed divider which runs on the side rails. You can take off the grated diver piece and leave just the cross bar. Problem is you would need two of these but it would do the trick. They're probably not cheap. Mine came with one and I use the single set as a cross bar from time to time and I took the actually divider piece off long ago. I just leave the rail mounts in and 4x4 sheets of anything will will sit perfectly on top of these in the front and on top of the bed extender in the rear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts