Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went through the search function and did not come up with any thing substantial.

Is anyone using a thru-glass VHF/UHF ham antenna? I tried to find out if Nissan uses passivated glass which would preclude a thru-glass from working but had no luck here or on the general web.

I need to find out before I spend $150 for something that doesn't work.

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
I looked at that option but went with a foldable uhf/vhf and ran the cable thru the rear cab vent. I also didn't want to spend $$ and it not work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
is this so you can watch TV from the head unit, or do you have a cap on the bed and wanna watch TV from there?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is this so you can watch TV from the head unit, or do you have a cap on the bed and wanna watch TV from there?
Uh - No. This is to mount an antenna for my VHF/UHF Ham radio without drilling a hole or running the cable through any of the rubber plugs in the body of the truck.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Why don't you test it. I assume you have a signal strength meter on your receiver, rig up some kind of temporary antenna and put it inside the truck and see what the signal strength is then set it outside or put the windows down and see it there is any change. You don't need to check transmit because antennas work the same both ways. My guess is you won't see any difference unless you have tint.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have ordered an Opek VUC-270 from R&L and it will be here tomorrow (Monday 11 Sep). It won't take me long to install it and I will report back. I found a post on the Radio Reference forum (mostly for scanners and the like) in which a guy had good results mounting a thru-glass scanner antenna on a Frontier so I am thinking it will be OK. We will know in a day or so. Clint - W5CPT -

·
Registered
45 Posts
Why don't you test it. I assume you have a signal strength meter on your receiver, rig up some kind of temporary antenna and put it inside the truck and see what the signal strength is then set it outside or put the windows down and see it there is any change. You don't need to check transmit because antennas work the same both ways. My guess is you won't see any difference unless you have tint.
Radios and antennas work very differently in transmit and receive. Receiving signals is a passive mode for the transceiver, where a signal blockage may show up as poor reception, lots of static etc. During the transmit is where the radio becomes active, when you key the mic it pushes a whole bunch of power through the antenna cabling and antenna, and if there's a signal blockage, or no load ( ie no antenna ) the power being transmitted, will reflect back into the transceiver and likely cause damage. A device called a wattmeter can tell you how effiecent your radio, antenna cabling and antenna setup are by showing you how much power out put you have, as well as how much reflected power you have ( the less the better ). It will hook up inline with the antenna cable, and by changing its hook in spot you can narrow down if it's a bad section of cable, antenna connection etc.

If the OP is concerned about antenna issues, I'd suggest talking to a local radio shop that specializes in UHF/ VHF. They would have the ability to test the set up and see if there was any issues with it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having been in the electronics industry all my adult life I have all the necessary equipment to test the installation. I have antenna system analyzers, watt meters and field strength meters, all which will tell me the success (or failure) of the install. I have also been a licensed Amateur Radio Operator (Ham) for over 26 years. I understand the draw backs of thru-glass antennas as well as the benefits.

My original post was to see if I could find out if Nissan uses passivated glass (glass with metal impregnated as tinting) which would preclude me from using a thru-glass antenna.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yes but I assumed anyone interested in the question would know about forward and reflected power, VSWR, etc. Antennas still work in exactly the same way for xmit and receive as long as the frequencies are the same or close and assuming you have selected and antenna that is rated for the xmit power level. Anyway it sounds as if Clint is well on his way to answering his own question.

·
Premium Member
7,125 Posts
My original post was to see if I could find out if Nissan uses passivated glass (glass with metal impregnated as tinting) which would preclude me from using a thru-glass antenna.
Am curious if ceramic tinting has a similar/negative effect? This is a popular mod across the upper windshield area as well as windows.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Am curious if ceramic tinting has a similar/negative effect? This is a popular mod across the upper windshield area as well as windows.
I would not think anything ceramic would have any effect as it is an insulator as is the glass. In a thru-glass antenna the glass is the dielectric in the capacitive coupling from the inside unit to the outside unit. Sort of a capacitor. Ceramic would behave electrically the same way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts