Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was under the truck today to install utilitrack rails into my bed and got a good look at just how close the frame is to the pinch seam and the outside edge of the cab, and how much further the cab and bed mounting points are to the outside edge.

This got me thinking about how no one sells rocksliders that use some kind of box structure that has them hang down from the cab-to-frame bolts and the bed-to-frame bolts on the LWB trucks, where any impact straight-up on them would transfer to these points. Seems like it would be strong enough and combine those with a few horizontal connectors should afford some strength without having to run a whole lot of thick horizontal-only ties to the frame. It might not be good for the person that routinely goes out and beats the tar out of their truck on the rocks, but would be good for the occasional hard trail that was a bit worse than the driver intended.

May have to experiment with this idea.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
That's asking alot of teh cab mounts. Yes they are stronger than the step-rail mounting studs, but if you come down on a rock you could compromise them. The real issue is that when the armor is not there, you are very careful. But when it is there, even if you know it's lightweight, you're more likely to test/use it until you wind up breaking what that armor was intended to protect.
Example: I bought full aluminum skidplates. They've held up really well for the most part, the engine skit takes alot of punishment and shows no sign of failing, but the gas tank skid needed more structural rigidity as-designed. I came down on a rock, not particularly hard but in the right spot (leading edge) and it bent up into the tank (but caused no damage to teh tank thankfully). A friend did an expedient repair a few days later while I waited for a steel skid to arrive.
I initially bought teh AL skids not planning to do hard stuff but things just creep up on you, usually while you are out with friends, look at an obstacle and think "it's not too bad" and then in the middle of it realize its worse than you first thought. Also weight consideration...

That "flat" part on the right, that mounts flush to the underside of the frame. This is a HeftyFab gas tank skid. The failure is a combination of material (ductility), designed shape (the leading edge that is bend at 90 degrees should be tied into the portion that mounts to the frame) and my poor decision matrix (I think I can make it..... whoops, too late now, send it)
The 2nd img is what its SUPPOSED to look like...

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts