Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the kind of thing I’m running into with a lot of the wheels I’m looking at. Or the wheels are on their website but you can’t find them anywhere
E0730C13-1BEB-4FC1-851B-26DF300F31AD.jpeg

·
Registered
922 Posts
These are the wheels I wanted but discount tire looked into it for me and found out they are discontinued for the Nissan Frontier.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Search by bolt pattern first, then size and offset if available.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Bolt pattern is top of the list.
Then wheel size.
Then offset.
Then if you get this far, bore.
And after that, if all checks out there's still a chance a wheel won't fit, because its design might not clear the brake calipers.

If you look for "fits Nissan Frontier" there's a lot that get it wrong and a lot that don't even bother

·
Registered
922 Posts
I just used my home computer instead of my phone and what a difference, quite a few and as said...you’ll get the right bolt pattern but it’s up to you or your source to get it right.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
I just used my home computer instead of my phone and what a difference, quite a few and as said...you’ll get the right bolt pattern but it’s up to you or your source to get it right.
Yeah even search results can be inaccurate, shops list wheels with tons of "fitments" for the search results to get you to their website. Then when you get there the actual wheel doesn't even come in that bolt pattern.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Then wheel size.
Then offset.
And after that, if all checks out there's still a chance a wheel won't fit, because its design might not clear the brake calipers.

If you look for "fits Nissan Frontier" there's a lot that get it wrong and a lot that don't even bother
I finally contacted American Racing thru Instagram and asked whats the deal, they said it won't clear the break caliper. I asked the sales person at Chux Trux why their website showed it would fit even through it doesn't, they said the fitment guide is based on the trucks original wheels specs bolt pattern, diameter, width, offset and backspace. So although it shows the correct information it still may have clearance issues, which I still find baffling. Theres a lot of great looking wheels that have the correct fitment but still won't fit. So may end up with the XD131 RG1's, but that was one of my top three.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Biggest issue seems to be exactly what raine points out, the final clearance of the caliper even when everything else is kosher. My XD’s seriously only clear by 1/8 inch or less. Not a high end wheel by all means, but XD has a few that fit.
Probably going with the XD131 RG1

·
Registered
569 Posts
I finally contacted American Racing thru Instagram and asked whats the deal, they said it won't clear the break caliper. I asked the sales person at Chux Trucks why their website showed it would fit even through it doesn't, they said the fitment guide is based on the trucks original wheels specs bolt pattern, diameter, width, offset and backspace. So although it shows the correct information it still may have clearance issues, which I still find baffling. Theres a lot of great looking wheels that have the correct fitment but still won't fit. So may end up with the XD131 RG1's, but that was one of my top three.
That was my second choice. Looks like a solid wheel. I went with my budget. XD 798.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea ran into that multiple times and looked forever only to find out they don’t even have a wheel that bolts up let alone fits.
Had the idea of buying one wheel off of Amazon to test fit it, but after reading Amazon's return policy I couldn't return them.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
I finally contacted American Racing thru Instagram and asked whats the deal, they said it won't clear the break caliper. I asked the sales person at Chux Trux why their website showed it would fit even through it doesn't, they said the fitment guide is based on the trucks original wheels specs bolt pattern, diameter, width, offset and backspace. So although it shows the correct information it still may have clearance issues, which I still find baffling. Theres a lot of great looking wheels that have the correct fitment but still won't fit. So may end up with the XD131 RG1's, but that was one of my top three.
Exactly - unless the seller literally test fits every wheel on every vehicle imaginable, it's not going to be 100% accurate. In fact, "original wheels specs bolt pattern, diameter, width, offset and backspace" are the only solid specs a seller (or aftermarket wheel manufacturer) can acquire without having to physically test fit themselves. Backspacing is a key number but that number only represents where the hub surface is; there's nothing to account for the inner shape of the wheel spokes.

Unfortunately yeah - the only spec they can't get unless done physically is caliper clearance at the wheel spoke.

·
Registered
569 Posts
@Lennyspall, You are in KC and there are 9 Discount Tires in the metro area. Check what they will quote you on that particular wheel in the 17 that you want with a wheels and tires package. They don't have the RG1 on their site, but I bet they can still get it as they are an XD distributor. They will "wheel and deal" (pun intended) with you on prices and match anything that you throw in front of them from a legit service... and they have a guarantee on satisfaction. I provided the quotes from other companies to the sales manager via email and they beat it, and threw in the TPMS. They almost didn't let me drive it away as it was rubbing, but another sales guy knew that I was going to melt mod it. If I had to do it again, I would go with Wildpeaks instead of the Kumho, but overall I was satisfied until I wanted a more custom look, but that's just me.

My build thread has a high level overview of what I did in the beginning: https://www.clubfrontier.org/threads/red-mandalorian-build-thread.357618/post-3810288

Couple other sites to check out are Extreme Customs:

and Mr. Wheel Deal

·
Registered
124 Posts
Then wheel size.
Then offset.

A long time ago, I ran into the caliper clearance issue (not on a Frontier). At the time I was driving a '76 Scout II. I also had a '73 "parts" Scout II. It's engine had crapped out, I bought the '76 and kept the '73. Both had the OE wheels, which had same diameter, bolt pattern and the same size tires mounted on them. The '73 had drum brakes on all four wheels. The '76 gad disks on the front. When the set of tires I had bought the '76 with ran out of tread, the tires on the '73 had some tread left, so I just decided to swap wheels between the two vehicles. I got the swap finished, and tried to drive the '76. It wouldn't move. It turned out that the wheels from the '73 didn't clear the calipers on the '76. I don't remember now whether I had a tire shop remount or just gave up and bought new tires.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts