Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my fronty has been squeaking in the front end for a few weeks, and I noticed movement in the bumper when I shook the truck. This week it began making all kinds of popping and rattling noises that appeared to come from both front sides...smooth road, bumpy road- no matter.
I stuck my nose underneath and didn't see anything obvious- except my radiator shroud and lower radiator were loose and moving. I could duplicate some of the squeaking I was hearing.

I had my mechanic go through it this AM to pull radiator and shroud to see what broke- and he didn't give me good news. The entire lower radiator support/cradle is rotted out. The bumper is moving up and down on whatever it is tied to- and said bring it to body shop.

I got as far as looking for a new Radiator support- and that is almost a $600 part(better on line), plus whatever else I'll need for parts. My only hope in finding a used one is a nose that has already had fenders sold off- as yards would only sell it as part of a complete nose. Why do I envision this costing me a couple of grand at a body shop?

Chris

·
Super Moderator
11,274 Posts
Buy a new one or risk the used one going south too.

Clint

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
That explains why my lower radiator hose clamp rotted away a few years ago. I guess that's a high corrosion area which I will take a close. Hard to believe the mechanic can't slap that in.

·
Super Moderator
11,274 Posts
I'd think it was bolted in and a mechanic could do it. Must be I'm wrong and it's welded in.

Clint

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It appears to be all bolted in. With Air bag sensors behind there- and not knowing how much was all tied in to the support- I don't think they wanted to touch it. I'm sure the radiator will need to be drained and removed. All hardware that goes into the support looks in poor shape as well and should be replaced.
If it was summer or still september- I would attempt it myself. But now the days are too short and unpredictable. I'd hate to get in there and then realize I need something else.

It seriously sounds like my front suspension is going to fall off! I got pops and squeaks galore. I hit bumps and it sounds like marbles.

Chris

I have not read of any 2nd Gen Fronty's or X's having this problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts