Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3rd Brake Light hasn't worked for a long time. I've had jiffy Lube check it and they said 2 out of the 6 lights worked. They were going to change them but the said they couldn't cuz the were LEDs. Since It is a sealed unit I cant open it to change the bulbs. I went and ordered an aftermarket one that has LEDs.

The cargo lights work but the top brake light still doesn't work.

Any idea why this is?
Like what fuse would it be or is it something im missing?

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
What year?

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
4,018 Posts
Verify that you are getting 12 volts from the plug when the brake pedal is pressed. Also you can apply 12 volts to the new brake light to verify whether it functions properly.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
If the previous 3rd brake light was the original, the LEDs are replaceable. They are expensive, however, at around $20 each. Part # is 26261-3B300. Some also used bulbs, I believe they were either #168 or #194? Getting to your current problem, it's possible that your aftermarket lamp assembly is faulty. First thing to do is see if the brake lights are working in the tail lamps when you step on the brakes. If they do work, then you can rule out the fuse, grounding point and brake switch as all three brake lamps use those same parts. So, you would have to check for power and ground at the 3rd stop lamp harness connector (check power at the brown/red wire with a 12v test light while depressing the brake pedal). If you have power and ground, the lamp is bad. If don't have power, there is an open in the brown/red wire between the connector and the splice point in the harness for the other brake lamps and you'll have to trace the circuit. If there is no ground on the black wire, you'll have to find the open in the circuit between the connector and the splice in the circuit.
If none of the brake lamps work, then you'll need to check the fuse and the brake switch operation.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the reason why it wasn't working. The problem was that the pins on the new light was separated to far. So one pin was going in but the other wasn't. I just pinched the one pin closer to the other and now brake light works.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is there anyway you can tell me how the wiring looks like? I’m having trouble wiring up my camper shell brake lights to my vehicles brake light.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Is there anyway you can tell me how the wiring looks like? I’m having trouble wiring up my camper shell brake lights to my vehicles brake light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts