Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 King Cab and i noticed the other day that my third brake light was out.

A few notes:
1. My main tail lights still function properly.
2. I have checked all the fuses that seemed to be associated with the brake lights. All are fine.
3. I pulled the third brake light off (LED assembly) and ordered a new replacement.

I received the new one today, plugged it in.... still no third brake light. I have rechecked the fuses and started going over the wiring coming from the brake pedal and up under the dash, but I can't seem to figure out where the problem is.

It does seem that an aftermarket cruise control was added at some point, but I'm not sure if this could have anything to do with the problem since it ties into the brake wires.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated because I can't drive my truck now without my third brake light. Buddy of mine got pulled over the other night because his was out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys! I hate electrical problems, and after about a day of trying to figure it out myself i took it to my local guy and he fixed in like 30 minutes. A pin was bent somewhere so not sure how that happened.

Now I have another problem, my interior lights stopped working the day I got it back. I checked the fuse and it seems good, i even tried a replacement fuse just in case. Nothing.

And today my power locks are not working... i just noticed that during my lunch so i have not been able to check into that possible problem.

Have i mentioned that i hate electrical problems.

Any more info?

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
4,018 Posts
Check all fuses for continuity with a DMM if you have one. Digital Multimeter.
If not, pull the fuses for a visual inspection. If it's blown you will see it.
Make sure all harnesses are plugged into the SECU. Smart Entry Control Unit.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
When you see multiple items not working at the same time, it's a good idea to check the fusible links near the battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 01 King Cab and i noticed the other day that my third brake light was out.

A few notes:
2. I have checked all the fuses that seemed to be associated with the brake lights. All are fine.
3. I pulled the third brake light off (LED assembly) and ordered a new replacement.

I received the new one today, plugged it in.... still no third brake light. I have rechecked the fuses and started going over the wiring coming from the brake pedal and up under the dash, but I can't seem to figure out where the problem is.

It does seem that an aftermarket cruise control was added at some point, but I'm not sure if this could have anything to do with the problem since it ties into the brake wires.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated because I can't drive my truck now without my third brake light. Buddy of mine got pulled over the other night because his was out.
Did you issue ever get resolved? my 2001 Frontier is having the same problem. Replaced the brake light but still not working. Tail lights and back brake lights are working fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts

A few notes:

·
Registered
157 Posts
That happened to me when I shorted out my dome light. Check the lower right fuse marked Elect B. It runs the dome light and all the power door locks.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
4,018 Posts
Double check the Stop Lamp fuse.

If it's good and you're absolutely positive the tail light brake lamps work....pull and unplug the hi mount brake lamp and check if you're getting 12 volts at the harness when the brake pedal is pressed. Check with a DMM (Digital Multimeter)

Pic is of a tail lamp plug with bulb removed.
The high mount brake lamp is a simple 2 wire harness / plug.
If your not getting 12v to the high mount brake lamp you'll have to trace it towards the fuse block to find the where the wire break is.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Measuring instrument Gauge Gadget

1 - 12 of 12 Posts