Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I get my finances in order I am thinking of going a different route with my suspension, mainly the front. I currently run the PRG minilift and it has been great, but I may want to go a little bigger and run dare I say...285's.

I would like around 3"s of suspension lift and understand that 285's will fit. I will continue to run the stock wheels and probably have them powdercoated as I am not fond of any aftermarket wheels that fit our crappy bolt pattern. I am assuming this will be okay? No body lifts either (no offense).

Now for the questions and keep in mind I may upgrade to a KMA front bumper down the line too so weight may play a factor:

I dont really want to run coilovers as once they are set I wont ever mess with them again so they are overkill and more complex for my needs (dont want to mess around with rebuilding, maint, etc)

I was looking at OME heavy's / struts, but they are said to only lift it about 1.5 - 2"s so I would be in the same boat. I could run a small spacer too.

Bilstein adjustables with OME heavy's (anyone ever done this?)

Bilseein adjustables with AC springs

I think those are my options unless I am missing something. Do not want to Titan swap either.

Basically what I would like is a fixed lift around 2.75 - 3"s with no spacer or coilover. Probably doesnt exist... I also understand that UCA's may be needed.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
The issue with AC coils is that with out the extra weight they are set up for they are way to stiff for daily use. The net about 2.5/75 depending on your weight up front. as for the adjustable bills they are a good compromise with a stiffer coil #600 pound range. will be more then enough to lift your truck to the 3inch or so range. With a coil lift there are not the geometry changes like there are in spacers. With a spacer you are extending the length of of the coil the height of the spacer. With coils more often the coil is the same length uncompressed and being stiffer dose not compress as far. Over all its roughly the same length as the OEM coil. negating the need for UCAs

If i were you I'd run
https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=435_436_194_200&products_id=5933
with these
https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4776

·
Registered
174 Posts
this is exactly what i am planning! i was just here to research if it would work. i was planning to use the coils with the adjustable billstiens up front and hybrid xterra/frontier leaf pack with 2-4 inch lift billstiens in the rear.

irongrave, what is the difference between the shocks you suggested and the adjustable billstiens? is there anything anyone can see wrong with what i have planned? i'm looking for about 3-4 inches of lift front and rear. just enough to get some extra flex and ground clearance

·
Registered
82 Posts

Let me know which lift option you go with.

You are heading in the direction that I would like to go.
I want to run a 285/75 tire, but I don't need a race suspension, and don't like the spacer lifts.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like to come across someone who has actually done it before dropping some big dollars on something that a) wont work or b) ride like crap

I would really like to run the OME setup, but its not enough lift. So I am thinking of the Bilstein adjustables set at 1" and the OME heavy coils which provide 1.5"s of lift and would result in the 2.5"s I am seeking and would be less complicated than coilovers and no spacers.

Pricewise ~ $196 Bilsteins adjustables and $165 for OME heavy coils = $361 for suspension setup. Includes shipping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just recently put the AC coil overs in the front and the AC add-a-leaf in the back, and im running mickey thompson MTZ 285s, and i got alittle bit of rub, but after some minor trimming it was fine.

but im still running my stock struts, in which im changing in the very near future, so im in the same market as you.

And i guess irongrave answered my question, cause i was wondering if those front shocks would work with the coil overs.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check out these guys:

Complete 1996-2002 4Runner Lift

Yea I know its all Toyota but its the same suspension design. Most of their kits involves the Bilstein adjustables along with TRD coils.

If it works so well for Toyota, wouldnt it be pretty much the same for Nissan?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I ran the rancho quicklift struts on my truck for a while only with 285 tires with some rubbing uses but nothing a head gun or a cut off wheel didnt fix. Leveled the truck out if not was a little higher in the front. Gave nice ride and i currently still have them on with the shrock bumper and still give a smooth ride but at the stiffest setting due to the weight. Ill add a pic of my truck with just the struts so you can see it. I'll try and find one of the truck level, but I'm not sure if I have one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I

I was looking at OME heavy's / struts, but they are said to only lift it about 1.5 - 2"s so I would be in the same boat. I could run a small spacer too.

Bilstein adjustables with OME heavy's (anyone ever done this?)

I was thinking about using the Billy adj w/OME 607 light coils. Let us know if you end up using this combo.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking about using the Billy adj w/OME 607 light coils. Let us know if you end up using this combo.
I dont really want to test it without knowing the results, could be bad...

I've been there before with an Acura 3.5RL that I had. No one made lowering springs and I heard that Acura Legend ones fit. Long story short I ordered H&R springs for the RL and they did fit, however the car was heavier so it really slammed the front end. Looked cool, but rode like poop.

Anyone else want to give it a shot and let me know how it works?

I guess the light duty ones would be good to go with cause if the bumper sacked out the front end, adjust the bilsteins up another notch.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I like this idea the springs are supposed to give you 1.5" of lift and wouldn't be as stiff as HD springs and you wouldn't have to compress the living daylights out of them to get 3 inches like you would the stockers. Might be a good affordable option for people who don't want spacers or to spend alot of dough on high end adjustable coilovers. Anyone running the Bilsteins?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts