Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I'm new here and still haven't bought my truck but I'm planning to get one soon with the old tax returns. I'm looking at a pro 4x 2013- present and I'm wondering what things I should consider if any to do to the truck. Most of my time will be on road to and from work. I'd like to be able to go off the beaten path though as it were to go fishing, shooting, camping etc. I don't think I'll do any extreme rock crawling or that sort of thing but I might go on some moderate trails eventually. I live in Colorado so I've got lots of places to go explore. I saw someone that moved the trailer wiring harness and plan to do that and I want to add some lights as well but other than that I imagine a stock pro 4x should suit me. Unless you guys have any suggestions and recommendations. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Hey guys, so I'm new here and still haven't bought my truck but I'm planning to get one soon with the old tax returns. I'm looking at a pro 4x 2013- present and I'm wondering what things I should consider if any to do to the truck. Most of my time will be on road to and from work. I'd like to be able to go off the beaten path though as it were to go fishing, shooting, camping etc. I don't think I'll do any extreme rock crawling or that sort of thing but I might go on some moderate trails eventually. I live in Colorado so I've got lots of places to go explore. I saw someone that moved the trailer wiring harness and plan to do that and I want to add some lights as well but other than that I imagine a stock pro 4x should suit me. Unless you guys have any suggestions and recommendations. Thanks.
The rear differential axle breather extension mod is easy to do and will help prevent water from entering your diff. This is one of the 1st mod's that most of us do. Upgrading the stock skid plates and adding rock sliders will protect your under carriage and rocker panels. Hefty Fabworks is located in Colorado and is a great co. to work with. http://www.heftyfabworks.com/store/#!/2005-2015-Frontier

Swapping the stock tires for a larger set of more aggressive tires will provide you more traction and a little ground clearance. Even just a set of good All Terrain tires in 285-75/16s will increase the off road ability of your truck. You may need to remove the mud flaps and front lower valence and perform the melt mod to avoid rubbing.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I was planning on the sliders and extra under body protection. I figured I'd take off the mud flaps anyway. The less stuff that can break off the better. What is the melt mod?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Yeah I was planning on the sliders and extra under body protection. I figured I'd take off the mud flaps anyway. The less stuff that can break off the better. What is the melt mod?
To fit 285s w/o rubbing, some trucks require a small cut to the pinch weld at the bottom of the front wheel well. Then you heat up the plastic fender liner, being careful not to liquify it, and mold it back out of the way using a piece of wood or a soft ball placed between the tire and liner. Let it cool with the ball or wood in place and check for clearance.

There is a thread here somewhere but I could not find it.....

Here it is on TheNewX: How-to: 'MELT MOD' or Making 285/75/16 Tire's Fit - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

This should be added to the Exterior Mod's sticky. Isn't there a Club Frontier version? How about it JeniorNV?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome guys thank you. I definitely want to make this truck last as long as possible. I've also got a Willys cj3a that I'm restoring that belonged to my grandfather so I figured I'll have to slowly build each one up but need to know what to start with first to make sure the truck is protected from damage and is able to handle the majority of what I'll do with it.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
So with the melt mod... do the stock tires rub? Or is it only when you add something a bit bigger?
Stock tires do not rub. Its when you jump up a size to 285/75/16. Personally i would run the tires you get on it and not add any skids at the moment. See where you take it and what limits you. You will be surprised how capable it is out of the box.

If you plan to drive through deep snow and mud then the stock tires you get will not work great.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Being somewhat of a newbie myself and also using my truck for the same purposes as you: daily driving with some off road hobbies, here is where I started:

All weather floor mats to protect the inside
OEM skid plates (I have an SV so it didn't come with them like the Pro4x) for protection from unexpected road debris or bottoming out off road (aftermarket is better but $$$ was my limiting factor
bed cover to keep storage dry traveling/camping
upgraded some lights to LEDs to improve lighting, visibility and reduce some electricity consumption
removed the front lower valance to improve a marginal amount of ground clearance and replaced the factory mud flaps with flexible ones

Future mod plans: 32" or 33" tires: Kumho Road Venture AT51 or Falken Wild Peak AT3, Intake and exhaust for performance reasons. Steel front bumper for more protection, improve approach/departure angles. Then about the time the shocks start needing service I'm strongly leaning towards the full OME suspension (1.5" to 2" lift) with Dakar leaf pack, just a small amount of lift is all I should need.

Should I have a sudden windfall of $$$ I'd do proper armor with aftermarket skids and sliders, front and rear steel bumpers, front coilovers and full leaf pack.

I've already got the next 5 years of purchases planned out. I just haven't planned out the funding aspect of all my desires. lol.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol I hear you on the money. That's part of why I'm wondering what the most important first upgrades are. I will get weather tech mats anyway since I've always had a set in each car I've had. They're awesome for saving the floors. I figured I'd add the extra armor the pro doesn't have and the sliders. I plan to have the truck till either it dies or I do so I'd like to keep it looking good as long as I can. Like I had mentioned too I've got gramps old jeep to restore. It's a '51, but in really good shape. No major rust and it's been garaged since 88. Granted it was an open sided one but it saw more dust and dirt than water so it's in decent shape. But it certainly is a project and I'll have to split funds between both and I don't usually have a lot to spare so both will be fixed up/ upgraded slowly. I don't plan to mod the jeep much other than some modern gear like brakes, shocks, tires and seat belts. Otherwise I plan to keep it as original as I can. Heck it still has the original engine with under 30k on it and the radiator is still full from decades ago. I doubt I'll make a rock crawling beast out of the fronty but I do want it to be able to get out there without issues.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Every trail in Colorado has rock crawling to some degree. My 2010 frontier wth 265 75 16s, prg advanced lift with spc upper control arms, a good set of sliders I built from a trailgear kit from 4wheelparts does pretty well even compared to other purpose built crawlers. Has more to do with experience than anything

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I bought cordura ballistic seat covers, WeatherTech floor mats, trailer hitch and the wiring, and a back up camera
soon I will get a Line-X done to my bed
and then I think I am done

I don't intend to play too hard on this truck, I will buy a Wrangler for that

·
Registered
219 Posts
First thing I bought was a set of weather tech floor mats. Second was some simple seat covers from amazon. Im shopping around for some custom covers still. The floor mats are pricey, but worth every penny. Not sure how your commute is, but if you eat or drink on your drive, you might wanna look at protecting the interior. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah interior needs covers for sure. Not from me as much as the kids. I know there is going to be some rock crawling around here which is why I want to add the extra protection and sliders underneath but at the same time, most of the places I'm likely to go won't/don't have too much to deal with. That's not to say I won't eventually find some places. Since this is my first anything other than a sedan or coupe I'll slowly work my way up to more challenging stuff. I've gone out with a buddy a few times though and he has always had a truck or jeep. We went up left hand canyon in boulder in his old Chevy half ton. We only went about half way and he scraped the bottom up pretty bad but that was a stock basic trim so not too shabby considering. I figure the frontier in the pro 4x will handle that just fine. Still I suppose having the truck will persuade me to want to do more trails just because ;) I was thinking more of like Moab when I mentioned not going rock crawling.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
The fender liner definitely wants to be re-formed, but you may not need to cut/fold the pinch weld... there is surprising amount of clearance there. Easy way to tell is to remove the plastic fender liner, turn the wheel till its as close as possible, then jack up the front wheel.

A good set of tires and a spacer lift will take you far. as soon as you start brushing your skidplates it'll be time to upgrade them. I would get the rock rails as the first big purchase as they make great steps and protect the rockers.
For a recovery kit you want to have a come-along. Hand winches are invaluable for minor oopsies when you high center and need to get pulled back a few feet. Alternatively you can get a farm jack (hi-lift) and a recovery kit that will let you use it as a winch...
And you always need to have snatch straps. How many and length depends in part with who you go out with and where you wheel. In NewEngland trails are tight and twisty so 20ft is a good length. I use a dogbone to join 2 straps when/if needed (if you don't carry magazines, a good size stick will work. I carry 2" dowel cut 7" long for this purpose) You can also choke up on the strap using the dowel...
I carry 2 snatch straps and 2 tow straps. Tow straps do NOT stretch. Snatch (or recovery) straps DO stretch.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I figured recovery supplies would be handy. I've thought about getting a winch but not sure I'll need one for a while so I'll hold off on that upgrade. I did read about a cai and cat back exhaust though. Are those worthwhile or is the stock system decent?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would change the tires, get sliders and then the 3rd is up to you! I did lift.

I put duratracs on at the dealership (yota dealer put wrong size on so got them to give me 265 uratracs at no cost to me)

Put sliders on to use as a step. Welded them myself out of trailgear 78" kit. Most satisfying part of those is watching jerks open their doors into my sliders. The sound makes me smile. No more door dings!

I did a lift 3rd. Prg advanced coilover kit with aal and shackles at highest setting in rear. Spc upper control arms for a good ride and no coil bucket contact.

I run lots of trails all over Colorado and have learned that I would definitely rather be overbuilt as trail conditions can change quickly! Plus once so see what you can do with a frontier, it is fun to shock people! Every time I show up to a trail, every jeep pokes fun. Usually many are surprised to see me if I am pulled over eating or hanging with my family on the trail. I have run many difficult trails with my current setup and the only thing I will probably change is a front locker and maybe some bigger tires as mine are wearing out

Since the first 3 mods I got a new WAM bumper courtesy of a deer, toolbox from my wife's coworker, Bluetooth head unit (cheap jvc), cb for Christmas. I would like a slim toolbox as mine takes up a lot of bed space in my 5' bed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts