Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, go ahead and laugh if you will. Had been driving a minivan for just short of 5 years now. Am now into week two as a new Frontier owner, and have had a chance to experience it enough now to comment.

Things I miss about my Chevy Venture van (which my wife now drives):

1) lighted steering wheel controls
2) retained accessory power
3) delayed lock when a door is open
4) Sirius add-on - XM is good, but in Canada no Stern on XM; my Sirius add-on also displays artist and title with no button pushes
5) DVD player for those long trips with the kids (guess I need to look at a portable, as the OEM one is just way too expensive)
6) in-dash cup holder I used for my change – just haven’t quite found the “right” place for it in the Fronty yet
7) “intelligent” starter: it runs until the Venture is fired up, no matter how short the key turn happens to be
8) rear power outlet

Things I don’t miss
1) cloth seats that retain every bit of kiddie mess put to them
2) crappy stereo that sounded much like my brother’s first car ('76 Impala with an added 8-track)
3) paltry towing capacity; sputtered up hills with a meager 2000lb trailer
4) maroon colour… storm grey is much more “elegant”
5) cords a plenty from my Sirius add-on
6) using my Blackberry for a GPS… at least I imagine I will as soon as I install a Garmin
7) that scraping sound of my trailer hitch bottoming out as I pull out of the driveway
8) removing back seats and tarping the carpet every time I wanted to haul something a bit messy
9) poorly made remote entry fob (very thin where it connects to keyring); very prone to breaking
10) using my monoprice wireless headset for hands free cell

Things I have now that I am loving and didn’t think I would enjoy quite so much
1) moonroof baby!
2) super quick motor on windows; these things unroll in two seconds flat!
3) the power!
4) how much cooler I look (I need all the help I can get)!

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never heard of the so-called intelligent starter. Any more details on that?
Think it is standard with all Chev products these days (?). Even if you only turn the key for a half-second, but it takes 3-4 seconds for your engine to actually start running, the starter motor will continue to run (even after the key is released) until the vehicle has started. Sometimes it takes me a couple of turns of the key to get the Frontier going, as I am so used to the quick turn and release. Maybe some of the mechanics out there can help out in explaining it better than me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Never heard of the so-called intelligent starter. Any more details on that?
I used to have it on my 2005 Silverado, all I had to do to start the truck was to turn the key to start position and return to on very quickly. GMs use a toggle switch when key is turned to start. In simple words, when it toggles it tells the starter to start turning until the car/truck starts, if it does not start in approximately 30 seconds it will stop turning at that point you'll have to turn the key again.

Hope that I explained it well.

Nick

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yeah my girlfriend's 08 colorado cc does that, it has caught me off guard a few times when starting it, very very cool of ya ask me. It's quick to jump in n' go when you're in a crazyass hurry and just don't even want to process the thought of how long to hold the key in the "start" position. I guess it's gm's version of keyless ignition. Only there's still a key involved.

Yes, many of GM's vehicles ( if they're not at lease 40k or a car ) have the SHI*IEST audio systems installed, my girlfriends' colorado sounds like laptop speakers.. especially the XM engine used in the head units system is absolutely terrible. Octane at all volume levels sounds like a drowning furby.

I must say that nissan's sound systems, even base models sounds pretty darn rich and enjoyable. I'm a bit disappointed in the rockford fosgate version though.. I'm pissed off that they have the mid-range audio in the front of the cab of the CC frontier only play out of the very small and tin-sounding speakers on top of the dash, that way at high volumes, vocals and midrich sounds are drowned out by bass and treble no matter your settings.. just sounds a bit funky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts