Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys have probably answered this before but I can't find it....where in the world is the thermostat for an '05 Frontier LE V6??? I have looked for it according to courtesyparts.com and doesn't seem to be there. I have followed the hoses. Is it in the front or rear? Which side? HELP PLEASE!!! I believe this will fix the problem I am having with my ac/heater.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
It is on the drivers side of the engine in the front where the hose from the bottom of the radiator meets the engine block. If you swap it out when you flush your coolant system, do yourself a favor and use a stock 350z Tstat because it runs a little cooler then the stock frontier one and require zero modification.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Standing in front of your truck looking at the engine, there's a ~1.5" black hose at the bottom right of the radiator that comes up about 12" and in a bit to the left. Follow it to the clamp, and what it clamps to is the "water inlet and thermostat assembly". The Service Manual has a comment "Do not disassemle water inlet and thermostat assembly. Replace them as a unit, if necessary".

The diagram on Courtesy is where the thermostat is. It may be because it's an inlet/thermostat assembly so it may not look like what you're used to seeing.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Also, if you are having an issue with your heater not blowing hot air while at idle, it probably has to do with your coolant level not being high enough. Just to be safe thou, do a coolant flush and swap the Tstat and gasket and you will be good to go.

·
Super Moderator
19,976 Posts
You guys have probably answered this before but I can't find it....where in the world is the thermostat for an '05 Frontier LE V6??? I have looked for it according to courtesyparts.com and doesn't seem to be there. I have followed the hoses. Is it in the front or rear? Which side? HELP PLEASE!!! I believe this will fix the problem I am having with my ac/heater.
What type of heater problem are you having?

Number 21 in this diagram.

Water pump, cooling fan, thermostat, water hose & piping — Illustration #1, Nissan FRONTIER 2006

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
look for the 350z tstat mod thread, there were some good pics there. i used that to swap mine out and it was pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thermostat Location

Thanks everyone for the info. I will get on it first thing tomorrow. I have already received my new tstat, but you all think a 350z one will be better huh?

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
heck yeah. my coolant temp is 10* lower at normal operating temp. hitting the sweet spot of 181* - 182*

the 350z tstat opens up at about 170*

i would recommend getting a new gasket too.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I have similar results as BigRiver did. I swapped the Tstat with a 350z one and also a new OEM gasket. I just use the Prestone All-Makes-All-Models premix and then topped it all off with some Water-Wetter to help its cooling capacity and now I am running cooler then before. I don't know the exact delta-T but I know now that the little needle used to cover the top "squigle" line on the T-gauge and now it covers the lower "squigle" line.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent! Thanks for all the info. By the way Zero Six LE...the problem i'm having is cool air at idle when the heater is on. I read about overflowing the reservoir and it helped quite a bit, but when I have the ac on and it's too cold, if I adjust the temp. to make it a tad bit warmer, it stays very cold.

·
Super Moderator
19,976 Posts
Excellent! Thanks for all the info. By the way Zero Six LE...the problem i'm having is cool air at idle when the heater is on. I read about overflowing the reservoir and it helped quite a bit, but when I have the ac on and it's too cold, if I adjust the temp. to make it a tad bit warmer, it stays very cold.
I really don't think your thermostat is faulty. I would suspect there is more air in the cooling system. As for the AC being too cold, I don't think that's related to the thermostat. Most people complain about their AC not being cold enough. :)

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have similar results as BigRiver did. I swapped the Tstat with a 350z one and also a new OEM gasket. I just use the Prestone All-Makes-All-Models premix and then topped it all off with some Water-Wetter to help its cooling capacity and now I am running cooler then before. I don't know the exact delta-T but I know now that the little needle used to cover the top "squigle" line on the T-gauge and now it covers the lower "squigle" line.
Just out of curiosity, cooler coolant temperatures do not help an engine, except marginally on power. Engine efficiency will be higher (MPG) with a hotter engine. Engine cylinder wear will be greater with cooler water jacket temps. So why try to run cooler?

If you're old and have ever torn down an old small block chev, you only need measure the two front cylinders for wear to know if it needs boring. Cold water inlet is the reason. One on each side right out of the water pump.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
i was getting pinging with the 2* timing advance so running a little cooler resolved that for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts