Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Got a 03 frontier 3.3 v6. Its slowly losing coolant and I notice the smell of coolant when I pop the hood. I checked it out and it looks like its seeping coolant from in between the thermostat housing and the coolant crossover pipe that runs in between the heads.
My question is has anybody replaced this gasket? (is it even a gasket or can I just use RTV?) any shortcuts on replacing it? It looks like the upper and lower intake manifolds have to come off but I was wondering if there's any tricks to doing it.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
its not easy. the intake does have to come off.
BUT before you go to repair that there are about 4 to 5 little coolant hoses under there too that were leaking on mine also. i had to take my intake off twice to fix my leaks. and get some good rtv cause you'll only want to do it once trust me. I have the sc so it was just that much more a pain in the arse.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
And for the love of simplicity please do yourself a favor and replace the knock sensor while you are at it. It's right there on top of the block.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
And for the love of simplicity please do yourself a favor and replace the knock sensor while you are at it. It's right there on top of the block.
That is a very good idea!!!! :goodjob:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah what's the deal with the knock sensor issue? from what little iv'e read about it I guess it goes out and people never notice? it doesn't trip the check engine light?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
No it does not trip check engine. It will give you an error code if you check. I'll bet you have a dead O2 sensor as I write this.

Here is my theory. Around 45,000 miles are when they die. All die and all will throw the code. My thinking is that they die due to heat. It's sandwiched between the lower air intake and block.

The best place to put the KS is back where it was from the factory, and in your case since you are going to be in there anyhow, I'd just get a new one. As a matter of fact I would try and see if you could place it on top of the engine in a different spot that you could get to later (but you probably cannot). I relocated mine for now. If I need to tear down the engine later on I will probably place it back where it belongs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
really? hmm didn't know that. Truck runs fine as far as I can tell. Its my sisters truck so I dont drive it too often, she hasnt complained of anything so far, except the new battery I just had to put in it.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
While you're in the engine, pull the t-stat housing, where it bolts to the block, and reseal that. They're prone to leak, also.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
its not easy. the intake does have to come off.
BUT before you go to repair that there are about 4 to 5 little coolant hoses under there too that were leaking on mine also. i had to take my intake off twice to fix my leaks. and get some good rtv cause you'll only want to do it once trust me. I have the sc so it was just that much more a pain in the arse.
NOOOO you dont need to touch the intake... its in the front just above where the upper rad hose connects. still a big pita though. if your due for your timing belt its ideal. you have to get the brackets that hold the pulleys off and the timing cover(top half). get the gasket and make sure you scrape and clean it well. RTV gray it up. Change your water pump and thermostat while your doing everything. I have pictures of proceedure if you want them, google talk me @ [email protected]

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
To fix a t-stat housing leak, you won't go deep enough into the engine to get to the knock sensor. I'd make real sure that the gooseneck is leaking before I went there. As XE KING said, the easiest way is through the front of the engine, by way of the timing belt, unless you have intake hoses leaking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts