Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after what has seemed like an unending process I got a call from the shipping company that the Tiregate was in the area on Friaday. Managed to get them to release it to me that day instead of having to wait until today or Tuesday.

Initial Impressions:

In a word, beefy. I mean it comes as pretty much 4 main pieces (the right and left uprights, the bar the connects left to right, and the actual swing out gate) with bolts and such mixed in. All of it is powdercoated and just damn sexy looking. Haha.

Install:

Doesn't get much more simple than this. Removed a couple parts that woud normally hold the tailgate on. Put the gate off the side and using the bolts, connect the left and right uprights. Leave a little room for tightening the bolts. Then line up the left and right uprights to the factory holes and do the same thing, tighten, but leave a little bit of room. Then, put the plasctic bushing on the pivot side(right side) of the gate and slide it into place. A couple of bolts to secure it to the frame. Then tighten to various bolts to the ft/lbs on the instructions and that's about it. The instructions also mention checking the bolts after about a week of driving and tightening where needed. I have some pics, but they're not the best quality so I will retake some and post them to this writeup soon.

So far:

Like I said, pretty easy install. And it looks and is beefy! Clocks in at about 100lbs. So double what the acutal tailgate weighs. Sometime soon I'm going to do a couple things which I think are key. I'm going to weld the bolts that hold the spare on. Also going to mount a hi-lift jack on it. And I will keep an eye on the pins that lock it into place. Right now it is a little bit of a process to line them both up. As for ride qaulity, there is absolutely no movement, the gate is solid and the same applies to the spare. There was no discernable noise (wnd or rattling) that I could hear. Anyway, I'll throw up some pics soon and get around to a follow up write in 6 months or so.

Afterthought:

I gotta say, I am torn on my experience with Wilco. On the one side, I ordered this thing back in early Jan. when I was told they "had one left in stock". That tuned into it was getting fabricated, which turned into the wrong Tiregate, which turned what should have been a two week wait into a 2 month wait. I had to keep tabs on them pretty regularly. Calls and e-mails were more often than not left without a return call or e-mail from Wilco. So that did start to get to be a pain.

On the other side, I got a pretty good deal on this thing. Didn't pay tax, didn't pay shipping (although came to find out that's not saying much as they buld the price into the initial price) and when they made the wrong Tiregate, they did knock off another $50. And there were a number of times when they did get back to me promptly and one time when the guy I dealt with acutally called his production guy at home to get to the bottom of an issue and called me after hours to let me know what was up.

All in all, I wasn't on a particular time frame and I have it now so I'm happy. And for the hassle to get it, Wilco does make one hell of an impressive product!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's what I got:

100_3783.JPG

100_3788.JPG

100_3789.JPG

100_3790.JPG

Like I said, not the best pics. Will take some more soon.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That looks sweet! Love your rear bumper too!

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
And i got to swoop the PR gate. Looks good lets see it with the spare.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Super Moderator
11,060 Posts
Looks very substantial. The bumper looks great too.
How about a picture from the cab to show the view from inside looking out.
Is there any rattle from the tire mounted on there?

Clint

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks very substantial. The bumper looks great too.
How about a picture from the cab to show the view from inside looking out.
Is there any rattle from the tire mounted on there?

Clint
Will get a picture from the cab soon. It's noticeable, but it doesn't completely block your view. And no rattle at all.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cab view looking out:

Photo0152.jpg

Photo0153.jpg

Photo0154.jpg

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
any kind of stops on the swing arm to keep it from going all the way around and eating your taillight? i know the kma multicarrier originally had their stop poorly placed, causing one of the first owners some body/taillight damage

·
Super Moderator
11,060 Posts
Thanks for taking those pics so I could see.

Clint

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
any kind of stops on the swing arm to keep it from going all the way around and eating your taillight? i know the kma multicarrier originally had their stop poorly placed, causing one of the first owners some body/taillight damage
I'll have to look. I do know that I am going to eventually look into some "stops" for the opposite side (i.e. left side) cause you can push the gate so that it swings into the bed. And seeing as how I can't see a reason to ever do that, I'm gonna see about installing a stop of some sort.

I will say that (on level ground) it does have some resistance so I can't see someone swinging it open and letting go and it swinging all the way around to hot the taillight.

Lastly, I'm going to be looking into installing a Hi-Lift on it. Any suggestions on how/where on the Tiregate to mount it? I don't feel like shelling out almost $100 for the Wilco Hi-Lift Jack Mounts.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
looks great but what i dont understand is why you didnt just buy the MultiCarrier bumper with the tire carrier?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
looks great but what i dont understand is why you didnt just buy the MultiCarrier bumper with the tire carrier?
Hey bigdog,

I get what you're saying. Just wasn't in the plans at the time. The reason I got the KMA rear bumper was that someone backed into the chrome factory bumper and I wanted to replace it with something tougher. At that time, my tailgate was fine and I wasn't even thinking about mounting the rear tire carrier. Plus it was something like a $300 additional option.

Same thing with the Tiregate. I got it because I got tired of the issues I was having with the factory tailgate. Granted, they weren't major issues. Just stuff that bugged me like the latch sometimes slipping or the lock popping out of place. I'm hoping I don't kick myself over losing that extra foot or so of hauling that I had with the tailgate down.

So I started looking for alternatives. Aftermarket tailgates: don't exist, used tailgates: couldn't find locally in the 6 months leading up to buying the Tiregate. Anyway, the Tiregate was a heavy duty option that would still allow me full use of the bed. It didn't require any modification to my truck. And it provides a (I think) better place to mount my Hi-Lift jack. The fact that it holds my spare tire carrier was actually a bit of a bonus.

I dunno, I've only had it about a week. I haven't "trail tested" it or been in a situation where I had to get to the spare when it was under the bed. And I have't really "hauled" anything in the bed since I got it. It boiled down to I needed a replacement for my tailgate and the VT Tiregate was the best option I had found. So I guess I will see over time if it proves to be a worthwhile investment. I think it will be.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
that makes sense. I guess my big internal debate has been rear bumper with or without tiregate. So its interesting that you went this way and added the tire gate later. Which is a good option.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts