Nissan Frontier Forum banner

241 - 260 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dynomax installed with no issues. It's so nice to work on a rust free 14 year old vehicle. Everything came loose easily. The plating on the hanger hardware bolts 'still looked like new. Just some idle time to check for leaks and some quick revs. It sounds like just what I was looking for, an OEM level of sound with just a touch of rumble. I like quiet, but the stock system only gave a whoosh sound.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Dynomax installed with no issues. It's so nice to work on a rust free 14 year old vehicle. Everything came loose easily. The plating on the hanger hardware bolts 'still looked like new. Just some idle time to check for leaks and some quick revs. It sounds like just what I was looking for, an OEM level of sound with just a touch of rumble. I like quiet, but the stock system only gave a whoosh sound.
I came very close to getting one but went with the Thorley instead. Somewhat louder than stock accelerating , but just deeper at idle and cruising. Mine did get slightly louder after some time, I assume the fiberglass blew out. Glad it worked out well for you and happy with it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I came very close to getting one but went with the Thorley instead. Somewhat louder than stock accelerating , but just deeper at idle and cruising. Mine did get slightly louder after some time, I assume the fiberglass blew out. Glad it worked out well for you and happy with it.
Do you have any Video on how it sounds ,many have found the combination I used sounds really good and doesn't blow the budget !

·
Registered
505 Posts
Do you have any Video on how it sounds ,many have found the combination I used sounds really good and doesn't blow the budget !
I will as soon as I remember, been busy around here with new washer and dryer installation, different location with all new hookups. Four ton pellets for the stove arrived today and shopping around for another pellet stove to go in an un heated room in the corner of the house. Too much crap getting in the way of fun. Well putting in another pellet stove is kinda fun actually

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Now throw so Doug Thorley headers on!

·
Registered
31 Posts
0807191759a_HDR.jpg

Just had this y pipe custom made (old one rusted out) I like it so far, feels a little more torquey as well. All stock pipe sizes

·
Registered
61 Posts
I reversed a MBRP muffler for curiosity. Does have benefits! No drone at all! Is a bit raspy though-but I do have the secondary cats replaced with small resonators. Sounds slightly deeper though that could be because of the axle dump design. Sometime I’ll create a permanent hanger and maybe tailpipes

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
doug thorley cat back is a good value, BUT only being 400 series stainless it will corrode + not supposed to rust thru. i found NO 300 series cat backs for our frontys but there are lots of never ever rust or corrode lifetime universal borla mufflers. anyone in the rust belt will get limited service from cheap muffler shop materials, prolly 3 to 5 yrs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would like something with little to no rasp and no drone and no odd pitch at high rpms like the MBRP. But that probably doesn’t exist

·
Registered
505 Posts
My DT cat back has does not really get "raspy" but it does come on the pipe around 3K and gets louder. That just means it's doing it's job at scavenging. But thats my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I deleted all of the cats when I installed a set of medium length stainless headers on my 2006 NISMO. Also, I replaced the factory muffler with a generic "turbo type" muffler and kept most of the factory exhaust in place.

The results were that the throttle response seemed to improve some but, it was too loud and raspy.

I then installed a pair of resonators behind the headers and that quietened it down a lot and eliminated the raspy sound.

After I installed the resonators, it is now sounds fairly close to the the stock system and, the raspy sound is gone. It still feels like the throttle response has improved but, not really sure it was worth the effort...:unsure:

Rex

·
Registered
306 Posts
still pleased with the Thorley cat back. cats act like mufflers while cleaning the air. cats are required for inspections in some states + without a doubt small diameter long tube headers are prolly best for performance + mpgs. for a muffler alone Borla has a lot of sizes + they are a value being aircraft grade lifetime 304 stainless. those like myself in the rust belt are best served by at least 400 series stainless. if a manufacture just says stainless its prolly the cheaper but good 400 series

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
I deleted all of the cats when I installed a set of medium length stainless headers on my 2006 NISMO. Also, I replaced the factory muffler with a generic "turbo type" muffler and kept most of the factory exhaust in place.

The results were that the throttle response seemed to improve some but, it was too loud and raspy.

I then installed a pair of resonators behind the headers and that quietened it down a lot and eliminated the raspy sound.

After I installed the resonators, it is now sounds fairly close to the the stock system and, the raspy sound is gone. It still feels like the throttle response has improved but, not really sure it was worth the effort...:unsure:

Rex
What size tubing did you go with post-headers? Replaced the factory Y-pipe?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I need some quick help. Looking like I have a clogged cat on my 2015 and I'm not able to drive it any distance.

For me, this is an opportunity to get full engine-back exhaust without my wife complaining, too much.

For simplicity, I'm guessing the Thorley LTH, Mid-pipes, and cat back exhaust are all I need to do a complete bolt-on exhaust, correct?

Here's the thing, while I don't have emissions in FL, I would still like to have cats. They clean the air, they quiet the sound, and they won't throw a CEL.

What are my options? Is there a bolt-in Mid pipe with cat that would fit perfectly between the LTH and Cat-back? Or should I just get the full Thorley package and have a shop weld in new cats?

Thanks.

241 - 260 of 273 Posts