Nissan Frontier Forum banner

221 - 240 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
I didn't remove the Ypipe I am in California and to them that's a Cardinal Sin !

Anyway I went with a AFE Cold air intake and a Flowmaster 40 Original and Exhaust Tip

That alone Gave my Truck gains and a good growl like one poster said earlier in post it makes a big difference I don't have to slam down the gas to make it move

Light foot on the Gas and zoom zoom sometimes I hit the gas from a stop and going through gears I hit 60 mph pretty quickly next time I will time it probably like 8 to 9 seconds but it seems fast lol

This is what mine sounds like many have been quit Impressed with the sounds of my Beast

·
Registered
505 Posts
Can we clear this up? Dynomax vs Thorley

Who has what?

Lets keep it cat back systems, as delivered, no mods.

The big one is, the conflicting information right in the description about the pipes in the system depending where you look. Some INDICATE stainless and some others ads say aluminized. So which is it? Are they or aren't they.

"Stainless construction" although not false, probably means just the muffler. While not being untrue, it is misleading you to think the whole system is stainless and that seems to be THE closely guarded secret. Are they or aren't they.

Are you satisfied for the cost? How long have you had it, is it holding up? Did it go right on as expected? Did you weld it after?

Lets learn something, Curious minds want to know... Thanks

I have looked at every thread until my head hurt and find nothing concise. So I guess I missed the one that does.

·
Registered
505 Posts
What package did you end up going with?
Thorley cat back. Nice looking quality, very well packaged. UPS still managed to put a dent in the muffler. I couldn't get a straight answer from Thorley, but as I was hoping, it's not aluminized pipe like the Dynomax. That made it worth the extra $100 over the Dynomax for me. I also liked the looks of it better from a engineering aspect. 2 1/4 pipe to the union then 2 1/2" after that.

It clearly came from a third party, I tried to get the black sticker off the label to them, to see where it came from to no avail.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wouldve went with this if I didnt already have the lts and B pipes. I love this system. I'm starting to love mine too. Do you have any drone?

So basically if I would do it over, it would be this system or custom borla atak, y pipe and resonators. IMS, drop in filter and of course UPREV!

I need some SV tires or better gears.. I will be at the 1/8 soon!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I wouldve went with this if I didnt already have the lts and B pipes. I love this system. I'm starting to love mine too. Do you have any drone?

So basically if I would do it over, it would be this system or custom borla atak, y pipe and resonators. IMS, drop in filter and of course UPREV!

I need some SV tires or better gears.. I will be at the 1/8 soon!
Not that i can tell, I mean it does resonate in the cab at certain rps, but nothing to give you a headach or anything
It has a lower more growly sound in the low/mid range, once you wind it up it starts getting loud and some raspiness, it holds the rasp if you stay there of course.
At idle its only slightly louder but with a deeper growl. I think it is getting a bit louder now that the "constantly roving technology" (fiberglass) is blowing out. lol

So far I'm happy and that its not nearly as loud as the round straight through muffler types

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm having some creaking and squeaking noises coming from mine. Doesn't always happen, usually at idle. I think it's the tail pipe, did you experience any of this?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm having some creaking and squeaking noises coming from mine. Doesn't always happen, usually at idle. I think it's the tail pipe, did you experience any of this?
Oh geeze not that I've noticed. Now I will have to pay closer attention.
It does have a stud (bolt) welded to the tailpipe hump, my guess your supposed to bolt that round chunk o steel from the stock exhaust to it. Not sure what it is supposed to do, but all I could visualize is it ripping out and leaving a big hole at best.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The other thing I've noticed is the smell of the exhaust has changed. Especially when hot. I back into the garage and can notice it, so I stuck my nose by the tail pipe just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating... My guess is because its not loitering in that enormous stock muffler

Go ahead with the jokes, I can take it!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wow I might have to try that. If smelling my exhaust would give me a good trip then it's definitely worth the money! Jk man. But I think it's just everything breaking in.

I also have that same bolt.. it's in the same location as where the rubber part was on the OEM. That's probably causing my vibration! Too bad the tail pipe is a boat anchor now lol

·
Registered
505 Posts
Wow I might have to try that. If smelling my exhaust would give me a good trip then it's definitely worth the money! Jk man. But I think it's just everything breaking in.

I also have that same bolt.. it's in the same location as where the rubber part was on the OEM. That's probably causing my vibration! Too bad the tail pipe is a boat anchor now lol
I thought it was rubber, but its a chunk of cast iron or steel, weighs about 4 pounds. I took it off and put it on mine but decided against it. You can have it for the price of shipping.
The new system has been on for a week now, maybe it is still burning off **** and that is whats giving me a buzz.
Matter of fact I'm looking to unload the whole stock system, a VERY lightly used Nissan pressure plate that still has the machining grooves in it. clutch disc is still good but their cheap enough to not risk it.. The flywheel was junk, so that went to the steel dumpster.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I appreciate the offer, but I just ordered a 3" flex pipe in hopes that'll work. I might have to toss my b pipes soon, Nissan dealer charges $700 each, hope I don't regret it.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I just installed a JBA catback system. It mimics the factory route and is not loud at all. the painful process that took several days was to get the rusted nuts out. 3 or the four broke the stud and had to be drilled out. The truck has a likkle more oomph

·
Registered
838 Posts
The other thing I've noticed is the smell of the exhaust has changed. Especially when hot. I back into the garage and can notice it, so I stuck my nose by the tail pipe just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating... My guess is because its not loitering in that enormous stock muffler

Go ahead with the jokes, I can take it!
Unfortunately that is the smell of the weld it takes a long while to burn off for me
It got a little smellier than normal because my truck sits so high a freaking plastic bag got tangled up on the muffler where the weld was and burnt the bag to hell smelled like Burnt plastic for weeks glad it's gone had to scrap it off with a painters spatula !

·
Registered
505 Posts
Unfortunately that is the smell of the weld it takes a long while to burn off for me
It got a little smellier than normal because my truck sits so high a freaking plastic bag got tangled up on the muffler where the weld was and burnt the bag to hell smelled like Burnt plastic for weeks glad it's gone had to scrap it off with a painters spatula !
Ahhh... Long gone now, I figured it was just because of the newness of it. Still very happy with it!

·
Registered
623 Posts
I didn't remove the Ypipe I am in California and to them that's a Cardinal Sin !

Anyway I went with a AFE Cold air intake and a Flowmaster 40 Original and Exhaust Tip

That alone Gave my Truck gains and a good growl like one poster said earlier in post it makes a big difference I don't have to slam down the gas to make it move

Light foot on the Gas and zoom zoom sometimes I hit the gas from a stop and going through gears I hit 60 mph pretty quickly next time I will time it probably like 8 to 9 seconds but it seems fast lol

This is what mine sounds like many have been quit Impressed with the sounds of my Beast
for what its worth, i removed the y pipe ( i live in mountain view, ca, btw) and went true straight 2 into 1... no smogger has ever had any issue with it

·
Registered
838 Posts
for what its worth, i removed the y pipe ( i live in mountain view, ca, btw) and went true straight 2 into 1... no smogger has ever had any issue with it
You know California though they try to scare you with everything
Personally I didn't want to do the Catback route but I still got the same effect

I don't think these Engines gain much unless a Supercharger was installed or a Turbo I looked for the supercharger but they quit those back in 2015 the next best step to that is a Pedal Commander

221 - 240 of 273 Posts