Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a website called Truth About Cars and they have just started compiling from govt. records the models of motor vehicles with the greatest number of reports of unintended acceleration (UA). It was comforting to see that the Nissan Frontier ranked 49th of the top 95 models reporting these problems with UA. To give you some comparison here were the most reported and the least reported number of UA from the model years 2005-2010:

Lincoln Town Car--1st place with 33 reports of UA of 225,000 vehicles sold in 05-2010 model years, rate of .413 per 1,000 vehicles sold.

Lexus ES 350 #2--2nd place with 100 reports of UA of 256,000 vehicles sold 2005-2010 model years, with a rate of .391 per 1,000 vehicles sold.

Nissan Frontier #49--6 reports of UA in the 2005-2010 model years for 225,000 trucks sold, with a rate of .027 per 1,000 vehicles sold. (Tacoma was much worse)

Chevrolet Silverado #94--6 reports of UA for 2,325,000 vehicles sold, 2005-2010 model years, with a rate of.003 per 1,000 vehicles sold.

GMC Sierra---#95-- with 2 UA reports for 840,000 vehicles sold, 2005-2010, with a rate of .0002 per 1,000 vehicles sold.

Anyway, I thought this was interesting so am passing it on.

·
Premium Member
12,114 Posts
the reason why toyota is getting slung through so much dirt over this is the bail out.
who has part ownership now since the car bail outs?
who controls what gets put through the news?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the reason why toyota is getting slung through so much dirt over this is the bail out.
11 of the top 20 worst UA numbers do come from Toyota and Lexus. Nissan and Buick aren't even in the top 20 group at all. I really think Toyota and Lexus do have a problem worse than most other manufacturers.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That list is suspect. Nissan has a brake override function built in. Even if it did happen, it wouldn't be much of an event.
Brake override doesn't mean UA won't happen, it just means hitting the brakes stops the acceleration. These all come from owners who report a problem to NHTSA (NAtional Highway Traffic Safety Administration). Nissan does have this (brake override) while I don't think Toyota or Lexus did. That gives more credence to the UA problem being caused by throttle by wire problems rather than a bunched up floor mat on the accelerator pedal. You may have a good point though in that if you can stop the vehicle from accelerating by hitting the brakes then one may be more inclined NOT to report it to NHTSA versus those that hitting the brake had no effect at all (except maybe the owner wet their pants).

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
wrong ! Toyota is taking so much heat over this because they lied.I sat and watched the entire thing the other day.They tried to hide as much as they could

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
and then bragged about not paying much for the initial floor may recall

·
Registered
313 Posts
I read toyota is now going to use the same feature nissan does with the brake override......i am suprised it hasnt made the news that other automakers have the override and put it in before people had to die.

·
Registered
237 Posts
11 of the top 20 worst UA numbers do come from Toyota and Lexus. Nissan and Buick aren't even in the top 20 group at all. I really think Toyota and Lexus do have a problem worse than most other manufacturers.

Not true. Over the last decade US auto manufacturers had higher complaints. Wonder why Toyota is getting slammed and not US AUTOS? hmmm... great way to help the US auto makers? But sure Toyota screwed up with the cover up and all but still. EVERY auto maker has these complaints.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I read toyota is now going to use the same feature nissan does with the brake override......i am suprised it hasnt made the news that other automakers have the override and put it in before people had to die.
Great! I hope that means that they will retrofit the recalled models with the new brake system and not just on models to be manufactured in the future. I have a brother and friend who both have Tacoma's in these model years (05-'10) so I advised them to request the brake replacements be done at their Toyota dealerships.

·
Super Moderator
11,165 Posts
Great! I hope that means that they will retrofit the recalled models with the new brake system and not just on models to be manufactured in the future. I have a brother and friend who both have Tacoma's in these model years (05-'10) so I advised them to request the brake replacements be done at their Toyota dealerships.
That issue was asked when Akio Toyoda was questioned. He sort (a bit evasive) of said some would be retrofitted and the rest as new cars were rolled out, Toyota still says its not an electrical issue because the whole shim repair campaign would be for nothing. When it does come to be, ALL the recently repaired vehicles will need to go back and be repaird again.
THe biggest point that gets overlooked is WE the motoring and pedestrian population not in a toyota are still in harms way of these vehicles who could still injure or kill us. You don't need to own or drive one to die from this issue.

Clint

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That issue was asked when Akio Toyoda was questioned. He sort (a bit evasive) of said some would be retrofitted and the rest as new cars were rolled out, Toyota still says its not an electrical issue because the whole shim repair campaign would be for nothing. When it does come to be, ALL the recently repaired vehicles will need to go back and be repaird again.
THe biggest point that gets overlooked is WE the motoring and pedestrian population not in a toyota are still in harms way of these vehicles who could still injure or kill us. You don't need to own or drive one to die from this issue.

Clint
Thanks Clint. I didn't know that Akio had already alluded to replacing brakes with "smart brake" systems. Good, I hope they follow thru.

When my friend and I go fishing (he has the Tacoma, unrepaired so far) I will make sure I take my Frontier and we won't go in his truck until the repairs are made.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Wait, Im not sure I understand this. The "smart brakes" sends a signal to the ECU to "cut" power to the throttle if the brakes are applied. Is that right? So if that is true, we would not be able to "power brake". And I saw some on here post a vid of him power braking in a parking lot once.

Any one else remember that? I think he got lots of flack for it too. His was a 2nd gen.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Anybody remember Audi in 1985? UA almost did them in....
the upside was that, in 1989, I was able to by a 1985 5000s for $6k (40k, and it only had 39k miles on it, loaded..... ran it to 170k miles.... paint was faded, leather cracked, AC compressed nuked itself and sent the shavings throughout the ac system, which was linked to the thermostatic fan relay in the climate control system....time to go.....AND I bought my first frontier

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wait, Im not sure I understand this. The "smart brakes" sends a signal to the ECU to "cut" power to the throttle if the brakes are applied. Is that right? So if that is true, we would not be able to "power brake". And I saw some on here post a vid of him power braking in a parking lot once.

Any one else remember that? I think he got lots of flack for it too. His was a 2nd gen.
I don't recall the power brake thread you mention. The "smart brakes" have a built in requirement that they only work to affect the accelerator if the revs are up past 2,200 rpms or higher; under that and it would not function, so maybe someone could still "power brake" at very slow rpms or speeds (i.e 1st gear at 2,000 rpms??) I read this 2,200 rpm thing here on a thread recently so I am not quoting from a technical source other than another blogger. If anyone has other information let us know.

·
Registered
584 Posts
There is a website called Truth About Cars and they have just started compiling from govt. records the models of motor vehicles with the greatest number of reports of unintended acceleration (UA). It was comforting to see that the Nissan Frontier ranked 49th of the top 95 models reporting these problems with UA. To give you some comparison here were the most reported and the least reported number of UA from the model years 2005-2010:

Lincoln Town Car--1st place with 33 reports of UA of 225,000 vehicles sold in 05-2010 model years, rate of .413 per 1,000 vehicles sold.

Lexus ES 350 #2--2nd place with 100 reports of UA of 256,000 vehicles sold 2005-2010 model years, with a rate of .391 per 1,000 vehicles sold.
I don't know if I trust a website that can't figure out that the Lexus is almost 3 times worse than the Lincoln Town car, yet somehow gets ranked 2nd worst.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know if I trust a website that can't figure out that the Lexus is almost 3 times worse than the Lincoln Town car, yet somehow gets ranked 2nd worst.
Thank you for catching this error of mine. The site had the correct information with Lincoln Town car as the worst but FOR ONLY 80,000 cars sold and not 225,000 as I noted. My eyes must have gone to the wrong line when I was copying that information from their website. So the ratio per thousand cars was correct placing Lincoln as the worst when you divide 33 reports by 80,000 instead of 225,000. Again, thanks for catching this.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I wish this had hit the main stream media sooner. We had a 2009 ford Escape that had the UA issue, but we thought it was the trans since it would downshift and accelerate suddenly it would also at times attempt to accelerate when shifted from park to drive, It felt like the whole drive train was about to jump out from under the vehicle. How the [email protected]#$ can they say it’s the pedal assembly if you haven’t touched the pedal yet. Anyway my money is on the ECM for the DBW system, and that these cars will continue to have this issue. We traded ours in because it was our primary vehicle for transporting our newborn (6 months now), and Ford refused to do anything other then reflashing the TCM which is a known issue for the escape causing rough shifting. It pisses me off knowing that we traded in a car and took on a bigger car note because Ford didn’t want to admit this issue, and I’m sure they knew at the time. And now I have to be concerned because the Honda pilot has the same DBW in it and unlike my truck the wife can’t just push in the clutch, but at least she would be smart enough to shift to neutral LOL.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I wish this had hit the main stream media sooner. We had a 2009 ford Escape that had the UA issue, but we thought it was the trans since it would downshift and accelerate suddenly it would also at times attempt to accelerate when shifted from park to drive, It felt like the whole drive train was about to jump out from under the vehicle. How the [email protected]#$ can they say it’s the pedal assembly if you haven’t touched the pedal yet. Anyway my money is on the ECM for the DBW system, and that these cars will continue to have this issue. We traded ours in because it was our primary vehicle for transporting our newborn (6 months now), and Ford refused to do anything other then reflashing the TCM which is a known issue for the escape causing rough shifting. It pisses me off knowing that we traded in a car and took on a bigger car note because Ford didn’t want to admit this issue, and I’m sure they knew at the time. And now I have to be concerned because the Honda pilot has the same DBW in it and unlike my truck the wife can’t just push in the clutch, but at least she would be smart enough to shift to neutral LOL.
You may have a good observation there. While your Escape ranked midpack in that 95 car model study of cars with UA (right ahead of the Frontier); Ford, Mercury and Lincoln models made up the 2nd largest UA grouping in the top 20 worst UA performers on that Truth About Cars Survey. They accounted for 6 of the 20 slots while LExus and Toyota had 11 (Dodge and Chrysler and Jeep made up the remainnig 3 slots of the top 20). I will guess that your Honda Pilot has the "smart brake" system as none of the Hondas (like the Nissans) were close to the top 20 worst performers with UA. I don't know this for sure...just a guesstimate. You may want to ask the service dept. at Honda if they do have a throttle override built into their braking systems. Let us know what you find out will you? You could have some peace of mind knowing if they have the "smart brakes" .

·
Super Moderator
11,165 Posts
It sucks that you tok a finacial hit but peace of mind is priceless. I read a story online about a woman who took an $8000 loss just to get away from toyota.
According to the press, the police officer who along with his family was killed by UA tried to stop or slow down by going into neutral and they said it would go into it for him and unfortunately they perished. I don't understand it as neutral would sever the power from the engine.
Since my cousin (sane and reponsible) wrecked his new Lexus ES350 and explained to me what the experience was like, it must be very scary.
Lexus used the floor mat thing but he got a brand new car out of them for no additional cost. He must have ruffled the right feathers for them to cough up a new, next year model.

Clint

1 - 20 of 23 Posts