Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do u have to change the oil on the transmision?

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,161 Posts
I did mine at 30,000 but was only the drain and fill. Doing it this way, only 4 1/2 quarts come out, but then you do the full flush for the full 12 quarts from the Dealer at 60,000. I'm pretty sure the manual says 60,000 also. Shinermiller has a DIY sticky, here is the link: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/how-change-automatic-transmission-fluid-2005-gen-2-a-37431/ Hope this helps.
You only got 41/2 qts out? Did you measure it? Some have posted it's 6 on a drain and fill. If you do three drain and fills at three ol changes in a row you will have most all the fluid replaced over a 9000 mile period. I asked a service tech what they do and he said a plain drain and fill (one) nothing more. What did they tell you they do about 12 qts? I believe the entire system holds approx. 15 quarts.

Clint

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
My drain/fill was 4qts.

Also, Nissan released a memo stating that they do not recommend any kind of power flush. If it is powered by the trans only, then okay but no outside forces should be applied. Also, never do a reverse flush. That will just push all the gunk back into the valve body and FUBAR the trans.

Lastly, make sure whatever fluid you do use is Matic J compatible (The newer Nissans use S). This can be OEM, Amsoil, M1, etc.....(I think O'Rileys has a generic fully synthetic that works too and is cheap).

Side Note: When you just do a drain/fill, you are only diluting the crappy fluid. This is why you need to keep the change interval tighter when doing a d/f over a non-powered flush. I personally will be doing a d/f every 15k.

·
Registered
318 Posts
You only got 41/2 qts out? Did you measure it? Some have posted it's 6 on a drain and fill. If you do three drain and fills at three ol changes in a row you will have most all the fluid replaced over a 9000 mile period. I asked a service tech what they do and he said a plain drain and fill (one) nothing more. What did they tell you they do about 12 qts? I believe the entire system holds approx. 15 quarts.

Clint
If you read the link from shinermiller he walks you through everything. I did exactly what he said: You get a 5 gallon bucket or equilivalent and with a empty quart container, fill with water mark in 1/4 quart intrevals. When you perform the drain and fill you'll know exactly what came out and what to put back in. Your correct it is 15 qt capacity, My bad.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm confused. So how many quarts does the transmission take? 12 or 15 quarts?

·
Registered
125 Posts
For automatic transmissions when you do a full flush you let out 10 7/8qt. Manual transmission is 6 1/8. When I did my drain and fill on my automatic I got 4 qts out. I do a drain and fill every 30,000 and also do my transfer case. I do my front and rear diffs every 50,000 miles.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So let me get this straight, if i want a drain and fill i should drain the transmission oil first then buy the exact amount to place it back in? Just for the record my truck has 71,000 and i dont think its ever got its transmission oil replaced nor its differentials.

·
Registered
318 Posts
When you do a drain and fill, you are only going to get a maximum of 4 1/2 qts, just buy 5 or 6 qts and return what you don't use. The dealer is the only one that will be able to get more out with a special machine. With it being that long, I personally would take it to the dealer and let them do the full service on both the tranny and diff. Just to be safe.
So let me get this straight, if i want a drain and fill i should drain the transmission oil first then buy the exact amount to place it back in? Just for the record my truck has 71,000 and i dont think its ever got its transmission oil replaced nor its differentials.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yep that is correct. I drained 4 quarts and put 4 quarts back in. Since I had bought 7 quarts I went ahead and just did the transfer case since it took the same type of fluid. The transfer case took 2 quarts of oil. Comparing the two oils the transfer case oil really needed to be changed. The magnet on the drain plug was filled with metal and the oil was almost black. Very glad I changed that. Since the front and rear diffs take a different type of oil I'm just waiting until the Spring to do them.

A full flush at 71,000 is pretty risky. I'd just do a drain and fill now and then another one at 100,000. This way you wouldn't disturb your seals.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I made a post recently on the same subject when I called my dealer and was told not to mess with it until 100k. I am calling BS on that and doing the drain and fill at 35k. The maint manual are pretty fubar with this truck....100k for "regular" service and 30k for "severe" service. Matic J is not fully synthetic so I would never let it go for 100k...heck I don't think that I would let a fully syn fluid go that long.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah I used the Mobil 1 synthetic. There is no need for the $10 a qt Nissan transmission fluid. There is another post that explains all of this.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've not touched my Frontier's transmission yet (<2500 miles on the clock - lol) - but I drained and refilled our 75K 2005 Civic 2 weeks ago (first time ever), got out about 3qts. Refilled it (a bit over-filled at that), and drove it around for a week, then did it again Saturday.

The difference in the quality of the fluid coming out was night and day. It was NASTY looking the first time, lots of stuff stuck to the magnetic drain plug. Second time it looked a whole lot better and not so much stuck to the plug.

Improvement for shifting? Maybe...probably placebo though.

I used the honda fluid too. Same with my Nissan's - transmissions are too $finicky$ to risk it. Engine oil, I use what I trust, and I'll leave it at that to prevent it from being an oil thread...

I'm thinking at 10K, I'll drop the AT, Transfer Case, Front and Rear Diff for a fluid swap, then do it again annually. Couldn't hurt...lol

When it comes to the transfer case, Nissan fluid. Front/rear diff....we'll see...lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think that you are falling into the Nissan trap by insisting on using only OEM fluids...look around the site and you will find that Matic J is just a re-badged semi-synthetic Castrol fluid that costs $10+ per quart. Full syn fluids that meet or exceed Matic J specs for $2-3 a quart less is an easy choice IMO. Guess we can compare when our trucks are at 250k.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think that you are falling into the Nissan trap by insisting on using only OEM fluids...look around the site and you will find that Matic J is just a re-badged semi-synthetic Castrol fluid that costs $10+ per quart. Full syn fluids that meet or exceed Matic J specs for $2-3 a quart less is an easy choice IMO. Guess we can compare when our trucks are at 250k.
I couldn't care less who it's made by, or how much less it costs. I've read way too many horror stories about someone putting in a "compatible" transmission fluid in their vehicle and their transmission blowing up at some point afterwards, enough to where whatever it costs extra, can be thought of cheap insurance.

Now, if I could change it all in one shot, I'd consider it. But, since you're not supposed to do anything more than drain and refill as part of your fluid maintenance, I'll put in fresh whatever is already in it. Mixing fluid types is a bad idea anyway...

AFAIK, my 2010 has Matic S in it from the factory. I know my 370z does.

Whatever is in it, I'll drain out what I can from the drain plug, and refill it with fresh whatever it had in it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How much differential fluid does my 2x4 take?

·
Registered
125 Posts
How much differential fluid does my 2x4 take?
For a 2nd generation truck here are the amounts.

For the C200 rear diff it takes 3 3/8pt with the 75w-90 oil
For the M226 rear diff it takes 4 1/4pt with the 75w-140 oil
Front diff takes 1 3/4pt of 80w-90

User manual gives you these measurements and directions on how to do this. It says once you feel the oil is at the top of the case then it is full. Basically when it starts leaking out then its full.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Where do i insert the new transmission oil?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For a 2nd generation truck here are the amounts.

For the C200 rear diff it takes 3 3/8pt with the 75w-90 oil
For the M226 rear diff it takes 4 1/4pt with the 75w-140 oil
Front diff takes 1 3/4pt of 80w-90

User manual gives you these measurements and directions on how to do this. It says once you feel the oil is at the top of the case then it is full. Basically when it starts leaking out then its full.
I'm having trouble trying to determine what kind of diff. fluid to put in. I can't seem to figure out what kind of rear differential I have. Anyone got any tips?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts