Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Have 2015 SV 2.5 50K on the clock, have been getting P0101 code (maf sensor)
commute 6 miles round trip to work daily, truck hasn't seen a freeway in two years, would the lack of taking this puppy on sustained freeway run have detrimental affect on cat? I think the cat may be partially clogged.
Or would I be getting oxygen sensor code.
MAF sensor is brand new genuine Nissan
Symptoms include, poor acceleration, droning noise exhaust, transmission shift to higher gear seems to take longer (when I stomp on it) but if you back off throttle, drive mellow shifts great.
Plan on taking a long freeway run tomorrow (cel is still on) curious to see if it goes away.
Good news is 8 yr 80.000 warranty on cat
Thanks for hearing me out!
Cheers!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Clogged cats is definitely one of the potential causes of that code. The droning exhaust noise is an interesting symptom as well that kinda seems to point in that direction. I wouldn't hesitate to take it in for clogged cat complaint since they are covered. And of course let us all know what comes out of it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
would the lack of taking this puppy on sustained freeway run have detrimental affect on cat?
Yes. With a 3 mile trip, you're probably running really rich while the engine warms up. That's a lot of unburned hydrocarbons that have to be filtered by the cats. The oil probably doesn't even get up to temperature either. Not to mention the battery needs time to recharge after starting the engine.

Sorry, just having flashbacks from when I spun wrenches and had folks who are surprised that their "low mile" car needs more work than a car with a 100-mile daily commute.

Reactions: Kelly Mack

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
50k mileage is way way too early to have cat problems. But you do have symptoms. When you visit the dealer, do not mention frequent short round trips. They might find a way to deny warranty.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I took it onto the freeway today the more I tried to get it up to speed the worse it got, it felt like limp mode so I limped into Sunnyvale Nissan of California paid 95.00 for diagnostic after two hours service rep says we did idle relearn everything is good, no mention of cat diagnostic also said my air filter is marginal (installed new two weeks ago) so I drive away and it is worse than before took it right back they wanted me to leave it there, I said no and limped it home will go back tomorrow for further diagnostic. they also said my battery has limited capacity it is 3-1/2 yrs old. So I will know more then. I'm going to put a new battery before I go back.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thanks for the update...let us know what happens again tomorrow if can. 🍻

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
A bad battery may/could be your culprit as it is well known around here how much our Frontier platform relies on reliable electronic signals. Hot climates contribute to shorter battery life...as does short commutes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Battery won't affect performance - once its started its really running off the alternator anyway.

Certainly sounds like it could be a plugged cat. Short trips are really hard on CAT's. They need to get to operating temperature to cook out all the crud or they will plug up. My wife used to take my fronty to work - 3.5 miles each way. I made sure I used it on the weekend in order to get everything to operating temperature for a while.

·
Premium Member
5,676 Posts
commute 6 miles round trip to work daily, truck hasn't seen a freeway in two years, would the lack of taking this puppy on sustained freeway run have detrimental affect on cat?
Yes.

GO OUT MORE AND STUFF.

Reactions: Cozz

·
Registered
2007 Nissan Frontier NISMO CC
193 Posts
be sure to go for a ride with the tech BEFORE you accept the vehicle again.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I’m in the same boat. I work 3 miles from home. Every morning I start it up and let it idle for 10 mins, drive about 65 to work. On the weekend I get on the freeway and open her up.

I cruise at 85 for about 45 mins. Yeah I’m wasting gas, but also I’m bored as hell right now. So whatever.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I didn't read where it said you cleaned the MAF sensor. If I had a MAF code, that's the first thing I would do, after cleaning/replacing the air filter. Have you cleaned the MAF and throttle body? Also, CATS can be somewhat clogged before throwing a code. Try flushing the cat, if the top two things don't work?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MAF is brand new genuine Nissan, Took it back to Nissan this morning new battery installed by me, service rep " we will figure it out" so they said new code P01721 and old code P0101 is gone (not so} light came right back, I have code reader Innova 3160d reader and it shows P0101 is the only code,dealer also said it could be wiring harness issues. Dealer also asked if my reader can read codes on the fly.
I'm going nuts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Sounds like you need to find a new mechanic besides the dealership.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
So I took it onto the freeway today the more I tried to get it up to speed the worse it got, it felt like limp mode so I limped into Sunnyvale Nissan of California paid 95.00 for diagnostic after two hours service rep says we did idle relearn everything is good, no mention of cat diagnostic also said my air filter is marginal (installed new two weeks ago) so I drive away and it is worse than before took it right back they wanted me to leave it there, I said no and limped it home will go back tomorrow for further diagnostic. they also said my battery has limited capacity it is 3-1/2 yrs old. So I will know more then. I'm going to put a new battery before I go back.
It seems to me that the dealer was more focused on upselling to you rather than fixing the main problem.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If your code reader will show long term fuel trims, look at those. They should be +/-5%. The best place to start trouble shooting engine problems.

·
Registered
72 Posts
a clogged cat will make vehicle run poorly and even stall when up to operating temps. I experienced it at an extreme level- bought my aunts mint 94 maxima 5 speed manual (my dream car at the time) in 2004. It had about 60 miles on it and she only drove it about 3 miles to work. Long story short and after an injector clean and almost a new ecu, a tech figured out the cat was totally clogged and rusted out. That car stalled out on me on a bridge. It took a while for techs to figure out what it was. Not sue if 94’ model cars had sophisticated enough computers for a specific code.

·
Registered
562 Posts
yeah 3 mile trip is too short especially in winter when it's cold. truck never has time to warm up. i would do like the other guy said and let it warm up 10mins in the driveway before you leave or even drive an extra roundabout way to get to work so you drive 10 miles or more one way.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts