Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
I had the usual symptoms of this code- the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Stalling while driving, hard to start, etc. The other threads on this were helpful, and I have changed the sensor. What a Pain that was!!

The Autozone sensor I bought did not work. Within 10 miles after putting it in, the truck (an '05 XE) stalled again and re-generated the P0335 code. I read another thread about this here from someone who had the same problem. They fixed it by getting the Genuine Nissan part instead-- then no problems.

Not so for me. I spent the $102 for the Nissan sensor and installed it last night replacing the $40 Autozone part. I cleared the engine codes, and this morning, within 10 miles it stalled for about a second while at speed again. It hasn't generated an SES light yet, but I have to pass a smog test ASAP, and I don't know what else to do or check.

So... the $102 question is-- what the hell is going on?

Also-- no other engine codes are present. 152k on my 05 XE

· Registered
4 Posts
So, this video gave me the best clue to the problem. there are TWO sensors. One generates a P0335 code, and one generates a P0340 code.

I replaced the sensor in the back of the engine by the firewall. I did not replace the OTHER sensor on the passenger side of the engine near the fuel filter. A Nissan mechanic said that they always replace both sensors if one goes, because of what he essentially called a "signal imbalance" between the old existing sensor and the new sensor. I bought another sensor (same part) for the passenger side (this is actually the CAMshaft sensor) to match the CRANKshaft sensor I already replaced at the back of the engine. I just drove 45 miles to work, and for the first time in a week, no stalling, no hesitation, no SES light, no codes. :)

I hope that takes care of it.

· Registered
20 Posts
Crankshaft Position Sensor Video

I just replaced the sensor and took some time to video it. The link you provided the guy held the camera vertically (I hate that). The fix was a PITA, but the problem is no more. Mine crapped out at 110,000 miles. The part was $23 on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2lvyHjJ

Just as a tip, if you need to replace the freaking busted plastic clips for the wheel well plastic cover I got a great deal on the buggers from Amazon too. http://amzn.to/2lvmF9W

· Registered
28 Posts
So my crankshaft sensor might be going out. Not throwing codes ever. however, it feels like a transmission problem. It shifts hard sometimes and won't shift into overdrive sometimes. When you turn the truck off and try to turn it back on it turns over longer than normal then finally starts. When you put it in drive it shifts hard into drive. If you turn the truck off for about 5-10 mins and start it back again it runs fine for a couple days then starts shifting hard and dying on me. Again, no codes ever. Could this be the crankshaft sensor?

· Premium Member
3,928 Posts
Crankshaft Position Sensor Video

I just replaced the sensor and took some time to video it. The link you provided the guy held the camera vertically (I hate that). The fix was a PITA, but the problem is no more. Mine crapped out at 110,000 miles. The part was $23 on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2lvyHjJ

Just as a tip, if you need to replace the freaking busted plastic clips for the wheel well plastic cover I got a great deal on the buggers from Amazon too. http://amzn.to/2lvmF9W
That's the V6...you're in 4-banger land!

· Premium Member
3,928 Posts
So my crankshaft sensor might be going out. Not throwing codes ever. however, it feels like a transmission problem. It shifts hard sometimes and won't shift into overdrive sometimes. When you turn the truck off and try to turn it back on it turns over longer than normal then finally starts. When you put it in drive it shifts hard into drive. If you turn the truck off for about 5-10 mins and start it back again it runs fine for a couple days then starts shifting hard and dying on me. Again, no codes ever. Could this be the crankshaft sensor?
It's possible. I've seen cam position and crank position sensors fail intermittently on late model Nissan engines and never triggered a code.

· Registered
2 Posts
It sounds like it. Same thing mine is doing and mine finally threw the P0335 code

· Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem P0335 code and rough running. I pulled the sensor and it has some damage to the plastic case on one side of the end like it has been in contact with something. Can the crankshaft move enough to contact the sensor? Could anything else move enough to contact the sensor? The truck is a 2011 but only has 66,500 miles on it.

· Registered
3,579 Posts
I have the same problem P0335 code and rough running. I pulled the sensor and it has some damage to the plastic case on one side of the end like it has been in contact with something. Can the crankshaft move enough to contact the sensor? Could anything else move enough to contact the sensor? The truck is a 2011 but only has 66,500 miles on it.
The crank rotates, but does not move at all off it's axis.
Maybe the sensor was replaced before and was damaged during install, or there is something in the bell housing that got pick up by the flex plate and struck the sensor.

· Registered
4 Posts
We are the original owners and the sensor has not been replaced. I put a scope down the sensor hole and did not see anything that appeared loose or out of place but it is difficult to see around down there. I can see the starter gear and it seems ok. The truck had some shifting and performance issues for about a week before the sensor failed but didn't throw the P0355 code until last night. I noticed a ticking noise in the morning that may have been caused by contact between the vane on the crank and the sensor. The new sensor will be here on Friday so I'm hoping it will fix the issue. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts