Nissan Frontier Forum banner

501 - 520 of 545 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #501
SES light came on last night. It was the same mass air code I got a few times months back. I got caught in a thunderstorm while driving through a low lying road construction area so I did some unexpected puddle jumping at highway speeds and then sat with the engine idling in said thunderstorm while waiting for someone, so, Code cleared and truck runs fine.

·
Premium Member
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #502
Today I got to put my modified bed bar idea to use. While I was at work my wife called me and said we were picking up one of those big old cedar playsets. I had to work until 3, I had a doctor appointment and then we needed to be at this person's house by 5. So, I was able to fly home, unbolt the bed bars, lift the whole rack assembly off myself and shoot over to pick up this thing...

BTW, for you short bed haters, I hauled the whole works in two loads...

In this pic, you can see my bed cover rail still in place and the stubs of the bed bars still bolted in place.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Today I got to put my modified bed bar idea to use. While I was at work my wife called me and said we were picking up one of those big old cedar playsets. I had to work until 3, I had a doctor appointment and then we needed to be at this person's house by 5. So, I was able to fly home, unbolt the bed bars, lift the whole rack assembly off myself and shoot over to pick up this thing...

BTW, for you short bed haters, I hauled the whole works in two loads...

In this pic, you can see my bed cover rail still in place and the stubs of the bed bars still bolted in place.

Holy Sheep Dip

Reactions: The other Sean

·
Premium Member
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #505
So... I've spent 10 days replacing rotted wood on the playset. So, now it's just re-stain the works and reassemble.

$200 for the playset that sells for $1600 new, $100 in lumber, $30 for a gallon of stain, I'm money ahead....

But....Anyway.... This is a truck forum, so....

With the Covid thing going on I've been eating my lunches at work on the tailgate of my truck out in the sun. So...

Time for an awning. It's the 4' ARB unit. I wanted it to sit behind the cab so I wouldn't hook it while off road.

Some quick fab to connect the ARB mounts to my basket. I'm going to drive around a few days and see if these move. I'm more than likely going to need to grind them to sit around the tubes of the basket a little.

Bazinga....

Now I can relax in the shade at work.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
With the Covid thing going on I've been eating my lunches at work on the tailgate of my truck out in the sun. So...
Time for an awning. It's the 4' ARB unit. I wanted it to sit behind the cab so I wouldn't hook it while off road.
Some quick fab to connect the ARB mounts to my basket. I'm going to drive around a few days and see if these move. I'm more than likely going to need to grind them to sit around the tubes of the basket a little.
Bazinga....

Now I can relax in the shade at work.
I might have to steal that idea. Looks really good.

·
Premium Member
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #509
Awning has been working great, I use it all the time at work. I've received many compliments and questions on it.

Also, Changed oil, was at 5100 miles. Once again, the Fumoto drain valve has been a Godsend. Pull the clip, slide a fresh section of vinyl tubing on, flip the valve and Bob's your uncle. No mess on the skid plate (Hefty Fab Skids)

This is the extend of my mess, including what I dripped getting the oil filter off. Note, I toss the section of vinyl tubing each time.

This last time I used a Mobil1 filter and the Walmart Super tech Full synthetic. I'm going to send a sample in to Blackstone to see what they say. This was a pretty easy run, most of the miles are highway, so, should come out fine.

This time I'm running Delco Full synthetic and a Good Wix Filter. Price was good on both from Rock Auto.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Awning has been working great, I use it all the time at work. I've received many compliments and questions on it.

Also, Changed oil, was at 5100 miles. Once again, the Fumoto drain valve has been a Godsend. Pull the clip, slide a fresh section of vinyl tubing on, flip the valve and Bob's your uncle. No mess on the skid plate (Hefty Fab Skids)

This is the extend of my mess, including what I dripped getting the oil filter off. Note, I toss the section of vinyl tubing each time.

This last time I used a Mobil1 filter and the Walmart Super tech Full synthetic. I'm going to send a sample in to Blackstone to see what they say. This was a pretty easy run, most of the miles are highway, so, should come out fine.

This time I'm running Delco Full synthetic and a Good Wix Filter. Price was good on both from Rock Auto.
Which Fumoto valve did you purchase? My Hefty plates will be here on Friday and the oil change question is high in my mind right now.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Cool, thx Sean. Gonna order today or tomorrow.
Ordered the new Fumoto clockable version with the banjo fitting and centre bolt. $37.95

·
Premium Member
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #515
More mediocre updates.

I need new tires, I'd like 35's but that's not in the budget to do it properly.

A friend bought a new set of tires to replace his half worn KO2's, so, I bought them. About three years back I picked up a set of SV wheels for cheap from a friend. I've never liked the older Pro-4X wheels much, so I dug them out gave them a rattle can black paint job and had the new/used tires mounted up.

Wheels were a bit beat and corroded...

But, they cleaned up just fine, 150 grit on the DA and wire wheel to the beads made it all good. I was going for a 30/30 paint job, so I wasn't too worried how this was going to turn out.

A few coats of primer and semi gloss black and Bob's your uncle. I even got fancy on the center caps. Actually, I had a little in the bottom of a can of metallic bronze, so, that's what I used for the chrome emblem.

For the money (less than $400 total for wheels, tires, new tire sensors) I'm happy. I do prefer the chunkier look of the swoopy 5 spokes over the flat 6 spokes and now I have enough tread to get me another season or so down the road.

·
Admin
3,312 Posts
Truck looks fantastic Sean. The KO2's are a tough tire. Had them for 65K. I drive through basically a mine field of screws and glass at my work, and never had an issue. (Had to patch my OEM Rugged Trail tires twice). My only complaint was road noise as they wore, and wet traction as they wore.

·
Premium Member
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #517
Thanks.

My friend had these on his truck for a few years and they are pretty quiet. I got about 60 some thousand out of my Duraracs. Wet traction on these is better than what my Duratras were at, but, those were close to the wear bars and 6 year old tires, so.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
More mediocre updates.

I need new tires, I'd like 35's but that's not in the budget to do it properly.

A friend bought a new set of tires to replace his half worn KO2's, so, I bought them. About three years back I picked up a set of SV wheels for cheap from a friend. I've never liked the older Pro-4X wheels much, so I dug them out gave them a rattle can black paint job and had the new/used tires mounted up.

Wheels were a bit beat and corroded...

But, they cleaned up just fine, 150 grit on the DA and wire wheel to the beads made it all good. I was going for a 30/30 paint job, so I wasn't too worried how this was going to turn out.

A few coats of primer and semi gloss black and Bob's your uncle. I even got fancy on the center caps. Actually, I had a little in the bottom of a can of metallic bronze, so, that's what I used for the chrome emblem.

For the money (less than $400 total for wheels, tires, new tire sensors) I'm happy. I do prefer the chunkier look of the swoopy 5 spokes over the flat 6 spokes and now I have enough tread to get me another season or so down the road.

+1 there, lookin sharp, those wheels cleaned up nicely.
I got the General Grabbers and so far haven't been able to put a ton of miles on 'em ( so who has, these days ) but very satisfied so far. We got monsoon rains out here in MD over the last week and they handled deep standing water, and accelerating & braking on wet asphault, like a champ. No snow experience yet, of course, but they're high on rain & snow rating on Tire Rack ( 9.0 or better ) as well and have the 3M mountain and snowflakes stamp on the sidewall. Pretty quiet too so far, but again, they're not far from new so I'd expect them to still be quiet. I rotate every 5500 to 6000 miles. I'd recommend putting them on the comparo buy list. Gonna be wheelin it next Friday in VA so will find out what the trail performance is like but given the massive and deep lugs, surely can't expect any issues there either.

·
Premium Member
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #519
+1 there, lookin sharp, those wheels cleaned up nicely.
I got the General Grabbers and so far haven't been able to put a ton of miles on 'em ( so who has, these days ) but very satisfied so far. We got monsoon rains out here in MD over the last week and they handled deep standing water, and accelerating & braking on wet asphault, like a champ. No snow experience yet, of course, but they're high on rain & snow rating on Tire Rack ( 9.0 or better ) as well and have the 3M mountain and snowflakes stamp on the sidewall. Pretty quiet too so far, but again, they're not far from new so I'd expect them to still be quiet. I rotate every 5500 to 6000 miles. I'd recommend putting them on the comparo buy list. Gonna be wheelin it next Friday in VA so will find out what the trail performance is like but given the massive and deep lugs, surely can't expect any issues there either.
The Grabbers were on my short list when I was looking for tires before. Severe winter rated tire is my main requirement. I do prefer a knobby looking tire (mall crawler points) so, the Duratrac won out.

·
Premium Member
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #520
After not quite two weeks of daily driving on the KO2's, I'm mostly happy. My only issue, if you could call it that would be I have noticed I seem to be able to chirp the tires on a quick left turn to clear traffic at a green light where before I wouldn't. Not sure if and how that translates to anything. As long as winter traction is acceptable, I'll remain happy.

501 - 520 of 545 Posts