Nissan Frontier Forum banner

441 - 460 of 494 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
How challenging is your rearward visibility?

The cargo I carry dictated an on-demand rear camera view at the headunit for peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #442
It does affect it. I may change out that rear flat panel piece on the basket that really blocks the view. Having the new set of bars 2ish inches taller will help as I can mostly see under the rack, It's more you can't see real far behind you as you drive. Backing up is fine. Long term plan is a new head unit with screen and back up camera, but, still low on the "needs" list.

·
Registered
660 Posts
That looks awesome! Is there anything under the steel plate sitting on the bed sides? More info about the basket, Please. Make? size? I'm working on something similar. For the same reasons.

Could your clunk be a CV?

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #444
That looks awesome! Is there anything under the steel plate sitting on the bed sides? More info about the basket, Please. Make? size? I'm working on something similar. For the same reasons.

Could your clunk be a CV?
Under the bed bar legs? No, they are just sitting on the rails. There is a little adjustment left, so a person could sneak a thin piece of something under to protect it if you felt the need.

The basket is a Curt unit. For the price, I'm happy with it. The mounting hardware worked perfectly with the bed bars.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #446
Since reinstalling the skid plates, I have had a popping sound when turning sharp at low speeds. Best I can tell, I'm getting noise from one of my CV's. I now realize I swapped them left for right when I reinstalled, so, being cardone axles with about 20K miles on them, this may be my issue. I'm thinking I just wasn't hearing the noise because the skids weren't bolted on. I have a day trip of wheeling this weekend, so, it's either that, or I'll break what is actually causing the noise. My spare CV is an OEM unit, I may pick up a second, rebuild and use the cardones as my spares.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #447
Put 2.5 hours of interstate driving, a few good hours of wheeling, bombed it hard a few miles down a minimum maintenance forest road and another 2.5hrs drive home and Nothing broke. The clunk is still there, but is possibly better? Who knows. No pics of wheeling, it's just tootling around the woods.

I quickly fabbed up some mounts for my Maxtrax, Should work for now. I'll finalize them once I get the new bed bars and I know where everything will be.

Also, here is my Friend's XJ. I love this thing. No idea why folks hate on these. Dude is in less than $2000 including purchase price and is never afraid to do a full send with the thing.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #448
Here are a couple of pics of my MaxTrax mounts. I took the old mounts I built to bolt my Hi Lift to the front bed wall and just used some 89 cent U bolts. They held up to 5 hours of interstate speeds, a canon ball run down a minimum maintenance road and a few hours of wheeling in the woods, so, works for now.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #449
I got bored the other night, so I finally installed the Rago Fab ditch light brackets and Ebay LED cube lights I got off a forum member. I'll be cleaning up the wiring harness and I'm more then likely going to swap out the switch for one that looks a little more OEM, it's only lighted when you turn the lights on, it lights up blue and it doesn't really match the other switches right there.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #450
The new set of bed bars came in so I mocked them up. These are slightly taller than the first set and the sides are straight vertical instead of angled. Tim From Heavy Metal Off Road was great to work with on this set as these are shorter than his mid level bars. While I LOVED how the first set looked, they were just not going to work with my tonneau cover and these now have room for some task lights on the rear. I do need to work on a more permanent set of mounts for my Maxtrax and figure out axe, shovel and possibly fuel can mount.

I just grabbed a light cube I had laying around for reference.

All in all, I'm happy with the idea. Having easy access to these items as well as easy ability to unbolt it all and leave it home for DD use as well as leaving the bed free is quite nice.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Looking good, like that bed mount and cargo rack set, very sharp.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #455
No big updates, just busy working and being a dad and saving my pennies.

I sold my Beater the other day to a friend who needed a new beater, so, The Frontier is back to D.D. duty again. Not really sure if and how that will affect the build.

I'm due for new tires by the time snow flies. I've got around 10/32"s of tread left, But, the tires are now 5 years old, and I've noticed the a little less traction, so, the time is now. I'll probably just go with another set of Duratracs as they have given me over 50k miles of good use and I haven't seen any new tire come out that will suit my needs for an all seasons tire. I do have a set of SV wheels I may use when I have the new tires mounted. I've never been a huge fan of the pro-4X wheels that the truck came with.

Also, since installing my ditch lights, I've come to realize how bad the OEM headlight bulbs are, so I once again ordered a set of the Katana LED's. I'll see if I decide I like them this time around.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #456
The Katana LED headlight bulbs are in. No pics, didn't feel the need to repeat what others have posted. I did notice, the set screw for the rings was a smaller Allen size than the previous set I bought last year, so, I had better success getting the screws out and back in where before, they just stripped right out and I sent them back. I did not have a chance to check the alignment, I'll do that tonight at a friend's house. With that said, after a quick drive round the neighborhood last night and my drive in to work this morning, they are considerably brighter and the color now matches my Morimoto LED fog lights. Should make my morning drives better. As long as the longevity is there, I'll probably give these a stamp of approval.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #459
I've been getting a strange random scraping sound from the right front for a while. It was like a low brake pad sensor, but, Popping a wheel off showed I had sufficient pad and the wheel bearings seemed fine, so, I ran with it all summer. With winter approaching and knowing I was getting low-ish on pads and had put 45k miles on them, I decided to put some new pads and rotors on while it was still warm. What I found was the anti squeal shim on one pad had slipped and was rubbing on the brake rotor hat.

New pads, rotors, Cleaned and lubed the caliper pins, gave the front suspension a shake and a visual. All looks good.

After that, I dropped the spare tire, aired it back up to proper pressure, Lubed the spare tire lift mechanism and then replaced the rear shocks. I went with another set of 5100's. They worked, no reason to change. I left the boots on, but, I'll probably crawl back under at some point and slice them off. I know they will just fill with muck. I didn't take any install or installed picks, we have all seen that before. As you can see, the old one was done for.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #460
Ripped my Driver's side front mud flap off helping my Uncle get an old wood stove out of the old cabin on his property (I high centered / backed over a hidden, frozen ant mound). The good thing, I'm up 1/2 mpg, so, I might pull the other side off and deal with the slop again.

Still mostly a fan of the Katana LED headlights. I drove 4.5hrs up north in the dark and was on some pretty empty roads up in the mining areas. My only complaint is they seem to really light up road signs, to the point of restricting your vision for a few seconds on the larger ones closer to the road as you drive by them. But, they do seem to do a great job at throwing light a far distance and as mentioned, really light up road signs / markings. I did drive in some heavy fog yesterday morning and they performed no worse as far as glare goes compared to the OEM bulbs.

441 - 460 of 494 Posts