Nissan Frontier Forum banner

The Oregon Sand dunes

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  KRAKR 
#1 ·
Lemme get this post started off right; when it comes to sand I'm a complete newbie. Aside from a little "creative driving" at Ocean Shores in WA, the majority of my experience w/ sand has been limited to hauling bags of it around in the bed of my Fronty.

I've been thinking about some activities to do this coming year and I've spoken to a few people that have gone down to the Oregon coast to play around on the sand dunes on rented quads. I'm pretty much stock so I'm not looking to attempt anything outrageous. Just wondering if anyone has taken their truck out onto the dunes out there. I'm thinking about going to Sand Lake one weekend when the weather warms up, maybe rent a quad for a couple of hours one day, maybe explore the area in the Fronty the other day.

I've been doing a little reading on this forum and a couple of others about driving around in sand and in OHV locations. OR state requires an OHV permit and will honor one from WA state. I was wondering where I would go to get one for the truck? Would this be the same permit for an ATV at the DOL? Seems like ATV permits have a different tab system than a street legal vehicle. If anyone has any experience when it comes to going out to the Oregon sand dunes; I'm all ears. Thanks.

#2 ·
It's been way too long since I have been in Oregon but I think you should be able to find out the requirements and procedures on line.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Understood. However I live in Washington State. I would prefer a WA State OHV permit. Can someone who is not an OR resident apply for an OR - HOV permit? If so, then I think my problem is solved since the ATV rental businesses should be able to sell me a permit when I'm there.

#5 ·
Not sure about this year.. but last year, all you would need is the ATV sticker for your truck..
BTW, if you would like some company... Shoot me a message when your planning it and i would love to come along.
Nick

#6 ·
I called the Tillamook Forest Center and got the answer to my question. The OHV permit for OR is good if you're a WA resident as well. It's good if you're a resident of a couple of other states as well.

Now that that's taken care of, my next question is:
- I have a 4x4 ABLS equipped Fronty. Do I pull the ABS fuse to have "a better experience" on sand? Or will that just get me in trouble if I attempt to climb a dune?

This is probably a question that I can post on another discussion group, but for those of you that have been on sand, what would you recommend from experience?

XE_King, I'll be sure to let you know when I plan to be down there. It'd be nice to be there w/ another Fronty in the group. Not sure when my trip to the Sand Lake will happen, probably sometime in the spring well before Memorial Day weekend most likely.

#7 ·
pulling the fuse lets braking happen, but sand is funny. Some guys get it, some guys don't. We always run 2 wheel drive, and air way down, but people that have gone with us just spent the whole time stuck.
Take a shovel, your floor mats work as sand pads in a pinch. Go with someone so they can pull you out. Stop pointed down hill. Always coast to a stop so you don't make holes to climb out of. Momentum is your friend.

#8 · (Edited)
If you want to go to sand lake make sure you have a flag, the ticket for not having one is big $$$.

If you go there hit me up, I would love to join the party. I don't live very far from there. Maybe sand during the day and BBQ @ my place later on.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/siuslaw/recreation/ohv/rules.shtml

http://www.sandlakeoregon.com/

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/siuslaw/recreation/ohv/sandlake/sandcamping.shtml

Some of the most common infractions on the open sand are:

Supervision:
Under age 16 riding without supervision

Helmets:
Under age 18 without helmet (with chinstrap)

Flags & Tags:
No OHV decal on truck, car, motorhome
Red or Orange Flags (8”x 12”) must be displayed 9 feet above the ground on all vehicles

Fire extingusher:
No fire extinguisher on truck, car, motorhome

Sound Levels:
o Mufflers above the 97 decibel range (Sand Lake Recreation Area)
o Mufflers above the 93 decibel range (Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area)

Lights
Lights must be used in limited visibility (before sunrise, after sunset, or when you cannot see clearly ahead for 100 feet).

They check religiously for violations out there!

#9 · (Edited)
Yep, I'm good w/ the flag. Already have the hardware set up to mount it to the utilitrack. I've got a fire extinguisher strapped to the base of the passenger seat. Since its a Class II vehicle I don't think we need helmets, correct? If so, I've got one. So far it's me an 2 buddies that plan to make the trip, we're all over 18 so no worries there. I'm pretty much stock so noise won't be a problem.

Thanks for the links Jasonsjunk. I appreciate it. I'm really enjoying reading up on stuff about the sand dunes down there. Been having too much fun watching videos at work of some of the craziness that goes on down there. No worries, I'm not looking (or capable) to do that kinda stuff. I'd definately like you to join us.

When I've stomped on the throttle on the sand while in 4x4 low at Ocean Shores, the ABLS seemed very intrusive. Seems great if I just want to move forward, but I think it would be a very muted sensation when attempting to charge up a sand dune. Probably the safest way but I'd still like to experiment w/ how it's like by pulling the ABS fuse. Since I'm no where near any place where I can (legally) run on unpacked sand, would the same type of effect that I'm going for be simulated if I were to attempt it in deep snow? Sounds like I'm just asking for trouble, huh?

#11 ·
Sand Lake is ok, Florence is better. NIZMUT seems to have the general idea. Oh, one other thing, the rental quads SUCK donkey ***. If you have a buddy with a decent quad, borrow it you'll have more fun. Good luck.

I would be interested in possibly going, let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.