Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you all feel about the rim/wheel sizes going the way of "the sky is the limit"?
I can see it's application on trucks and true sports cars but when you start seeing 18" wheel s on family sedans I think it's a bit over done.
Your asking for increase hydroplaning and loss of traction on snow. Less side wall increases your chances of of tire blow out and rim damage. Pot holes are not getting any shallower.
The reality of these big rims and tires are being oversold is when it comes time to buy new tires......"The Next Sticker Shock"!...

8O

·
MOD & Token MINI Owner
2,296 Posts
The big rims and low profile tires is not my bag especially on trucks. I had 17" rims on my 2000 civic and had quite a few problems with exactly what Rocketman said!! The traction in any sort of wet or snowy conditions absolutly sucked and I hit a pot hole and cracked the inside of one of my rims. So I definatly think it looks good on some cars but trucks and SUVs I think it looks out of place. Just my 2 cents!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
comming from a guy who has 20" rims i think it has more to do with just how you want your car or truck to look. i personally like the look of dropped trucks on top of big rims and if you drive like you have a brain you dont have to worry about rain and snow. i take mine off for the winter just incase and to save them from the salt.

·
Registered
345 Posts
like dmorrow mentioned, It's how you want your truck to look...plus how you are planning to use it...some people like to race their trucks, some like mud, some just show em...

I'll take a lift and bigger tires/rims please!

·
Registered
395 Posts
To each his/her own, I say. I love them both! Of course, I've loved the slammed w/ big rims first, but now I'm beginning to love the lift and fat tires even more so. . .check this Hardbody out!! The epitome of what Rocketman was saying on a Hardbody!!

SICK!!!

And now. . .on a new Frontier!!!!!! WOW!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I like large rims but there's a point when it becomes stupid. 17" rims on small cars, 18" on midsize+ and 20" on trucks tends to be my limit to what I think is beneficial. Beyond that adds too much weight and not enough sidewall flex to be beneficial.

I had 17" on my Cavalier and it looked great and handled great but I really noticed the extra weight when I accelerated or stopped - the following year I smashed a rim on an unmarked culvert. (the city paid to replace the rim)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts