Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Morimoto 2Stroke 3.0 just launched today. To make it even better, I'm expecting to receive the 2nd prototype Morimoto Hybrid headlight this week as well! So I'll be updating you guys on that here shortly, as well as comparing the Hybrid headlight to the Katana and 2Stroke 3.0 LED bulbs!

Until then, here is some information on this one of a kind LED bulb.

Cooling/Heatsink design: With LED bulbs, you'll have two different forms of thermal management. One being your standard fan-cooled option where a fan will be mounted on the back of the LED bulb to push air through the heatsink, thus venting heat off of the bulb. The other common method you see is the non-fan based bulbs where there is no moving fan but more so a skeletonized heatsink that freely allows heat to radiate off the bulb.

The 2Stroke 3.0 LED bulbs use a much more efficient method of cooling and a safer one at that! There are two slots on each side of the bulb base by the PCB board, one slot is the intake and the other is the exhaust slot. The bulb takes air in through one slot that loops around the rear half of the LED bulb to cool and vents the hot air out the other side using an internal cyclone fan that is not exposed whatsoever. With this fan being enclosed, this makes for the ideal bulb for those fog lights or housings that are exposed to the elements or for those who tend to go offroad, as nothing can get in and interfere with the fan. Another great feature about this cooling design is once the air goes through the vents, the hot air is then routed into your headlight/fog light housing, which in return will subtly heat the lens and deter any ice or snow build-up on the lens! Gone are the days of wiping your headlights of ice, turn up the heat!

LED Chipset: The 2Stroke 3.0 LED bulbs use two separate chips, one for single filament applications and another for dual filament applications. The single filament bulbs use Osram Oslon HKL531.TE chips, which are very bright while also being extremely reliable due to design and new solder pad designs in terms of durability. The compact chips not only deliver high light output, but they are also individually addressable with an ensured chip-to-chip contrast, making these bulbs perfect for identical beam patterns compared to your OEM bulbs. Coming in at a cool 5,500k kelvin temperature, you'll see that familiar pure white color that you've been longing for.

The dual filament bulbs use the Luxeon Z ES chips are absolute beasts of LEDs. They offer never-before-seen color consistency, luminance, flux density, and design flexibility for next-generation lighting solutions. The LUXEON Z family is undomed, a feature that provides unmatched optical flexibility for precise beam angle control. Being just barely warmer in color than the single filament bulbs, these LED bulbs will present a 5,700k kelvin temperature, delivering that phenomenal cool white color for the roads ahead.

Performance: Needless to say, the 2Stroke 3.0 LED bulbs dominate every housing we throw them at. Here is a Ford F-150 H11 reflector headlight, we recorded results from the OEM halogen bulb, the previous 2Stroke 2.0, the new 2Stroke 3.0, as well as the renowned GTR Lighting Ultra 2 LED bulbs. All tests were performed 25ft. from the testing wall on a leveled surface.

The OEM halogen bulb is pretty standard stuff, not a whole lot going on here to be impressed with. We see the traditional dull halogen color with a mild hotspot in the center, just what we'd expect from an OEM unit. Please keep in mind any LED bulb is not legal for street applications unless used offroad only, or in a fog light application.

The 2Stroke 2.0 LED bulbs are up next and it is easy to see there is an improvement here. The color first off is much better, coming in at the 5,700k color range. The beam pattern is clean and replicates OEM fairly well with minimal glaring or odd streaks. We would like to see a bit better of a hotspot from this, but this performance isn't disappointing by any means either.

The 2Stroke 3.0 is up next and as you can see, they easily hold their own. We have a great beam pattern very much so like OEM, only much brighter! This hotspot is looking better than the 2Stroke 2.0, holding a nicer intensity which results directly in more distance lighting down the road for the driver. We see a nice fluid reach of beam pattern across the wall with no oddities or defects, pair these bulbs with a solid set of fog lights and you will not be much on the road you won't be seeing!

Last but not least is the GTR Lighting Ultra 2 LED bulbs. The beam pattern we saw from this bulb looks great but was a little sloppy for our liking. You'll see a fair spread of light, but the hotspot isn't as pronounced as you would want it, and there tends to be more of dissipation of light as you go further from the hotspot. All this surrounding light can result in glare for others in the wrong application, as well as reduced output for the user.

Design: Anyone can slap a set of LEDs on a PCB Board and call it an LED bulb. But what really makes for a rock-solid product that is going to perform well across the board is the design of the entire product, not just a general idea. When engineering the 2Stroke 3.0 LED bulbs, the distance from the LED chipsets to the base of the bulb was one of the main focuses when in development. We needed to be sure that each 2Stroke 3.0 bulb best matched its OEM counterpart to ensure the bulb could perform at its best and met the requirements of its environment you are installing them into. In order to be sure that this requirement could be replicated identically over and over again during the production of new bulbs, special tooling was designed and implemented across the board to ensure you receive the highest quality product available on the market time and time again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was about to order the 2.0s until I saw this post. Got the 3.0 9007 & H11s ordered instead.

Reactions: XDJohnTobias

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (15,000km)
187 Posts
I am in love with my Katana's but if/when they burn out, I will be searching for replacements that have the DRL functionality as well...though we'll see how they are priced down the road...

·
Registered
695 Posts
I was about to order the 2.0s until I saw this post. Got the 3.0 9007 & H11s ordered instead.
Post up a review and some pics of them in action! Do you have any other LED bulbs to compare them with?

I'm loving that Mori went with 5500k. I don't love the blue Katana color but for the $ can't complain.
If I don't spend the big bucks on the upcoming Mori headlights I will definitely consider these if and when my Katana's die.

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
My Morimoto XB fogs are definitely a blue color.

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (15,000km)
187 Posts
I picked up some fogs as well, but again, chose 6500K and nice bright white color I really like.

·
Registered
695 Posts
6500k is far from white, it is on the edge of blue. Crack them on against a wall in daylight, you can see the light that hits the wall is nowhere near daylight color. Noon sunlight is nowhere near as blue as 6500k, its around 5000k. At night you can't tell how blue they are because there is no other light to compare them with. When I used to run HIDs years ago I experimented with different K bulbs and found 5000k is ideal for me. Factory halogens are around 4300k. I believe all of the Chinese bulbs just go with the bluish 6500k to simulate the luxury car HID look of years back. 6500k is not a great color to see with, visibility is maximized from 4000k - 5000k light due to more accuracy of it being actual mid spectrum white and not a blue tint. Dont get me wrong, I don't mind the 6500k katana but I definitely prefer a little less K if I had the choice, but without knowing what works well with our headlights I didn't want to trial and error a bunch of times so I went with what others already knew worked, and they do work well and I appreciate them for sure. But IMO It is nice to see that Morimoto actually went with a lower K color than 6000k to have a better quality driving light.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (15,000km)
187 Posts
Thanks for the chart ...that's interesting. But in the end...they are what they are...bright white, and not even a hint of blue as I see in so many other LED headlights driving around.

Numerous other photos etc here from other members seems to align with this observation as well.

As per your comment of "6500k is not a great color to see with", either the Katana 6500K are NOT actually 6500K (maybe they are actually a lot lower than advertised) because the visibility and lighting is fantastic. I don't even use the fog lights any more. I'm a very hard person to please with most things, and after the Katana install, all I can say it has completely satisfied my "upgraditis" when it comes to the Frontier lighting. I just hope I get some longevity out of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Post up a review and some pics of them in action! Do you have any other LED bulbs to compare them with?

I'm loving that Mori went with 5500k. I don't love the blue Katana color but for the $ can't complain.
If I don't spend the big bucks on the upcoming Mori headlights I will definitely consider these if and when my Katana's die.
I have the 2.0. much better than stock halogen, but the beam pattern is a little choppy (not too bad) and the high beams aren't THAT different. I'm interested in upgrading to the 3.0 (and selling the 2.0), but only if there's an improvement in a Frontier. Let us know how these work out. I'll keep the 2.0 in the fogs... No complaints there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.