Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
Here’s the issue:
Just paid off our 2010 SE 4x4. Wife’s parents have a boat they like me to tow. Wife sees how massive this big three log pontoon is, and freaks out thinking the Frontier can’t handle it… She gets the itch and wants to look at full size trucks like the F150, etc.
I like the idea of no car payments a lot more than I like the idea of getting a new truck just to haul a big boat several times a year.

SO, here’s my thoughts.
I need new tires soon anyway, and I’m wondering if I can make the truck look newer or more like a full size? It might cost me some money, but not another 25 to 30k!
Is there a good combo of new wheels/tires and/or lift/shock/spacer kit that will raise the truck a little so when I tow this massive thing, it at least doesn’t LOOK like the truck is struggling?

Any other recommendations for things I should look at adding? Towing side mirrors? Running Boards? Camera? Weight-Distributing Hitch System? Or even just a new ball and mount?

Thanks in advance for the ideas.

·
Registered
895 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Try some air bags in the back to help with the sagging rear end.
Ditto. Firestone Ride-Rites will be ~$325-350. Lots of threads around here on how to install/etc...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thats a NICE toon. if it has the 115 how well does it do ?, can it pull people on tubes, wakeboards ? I would just buy the Big truck, a satisfied wife is a happy wife.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think with the trailer it's around 4500 or more? Still shy of the 6100 max for my model... But it's a big looking boat!
This is the new model of it SUN TRACKER Boats : Recreational Pontoons : 2016 PARTY BARGE 22 XP3 Specifications
I towed my brother's diveboat on the trailer which is 4500# dry along with all the dive equipment and tools thrown into it. Took it down to the lower keys just a few months back and I had no problem and I have a brand new Pro-4x which has the smallest load capacity and towing rating of the Frontys. If I can do that, there's no reason to buy a fullsize truck for a boat that size. Not unless you're going up a bunch of mountains and such I suppose but even then I doubt I would consider that a necessity.

She's probably just looking for an excuse to get into something bigger perhaps?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2016 Suntracker 20 DLX with a 90, advertised dry weight 3300# that I pull with a 2011 SV 4x4. It's a smaller boat than theirs but I don't really have any issues with it. I've pulled it on Interstates and secondary roads in hilly terrain in Arkansas. Climbs normally don't extend beyond a quarter mile and I can maintain 55 MPH. Level terrain it's easy to maintain 65 MPH. No sway whatsoever and the trailer has surge brakes with no problems stopping. Gas mileage towing is not real good. The only thing I have done to the vehicle is replace the mirrors with TYGER towing mirrors from Amazon - a worthwhile addition. Also, no problems pulling the boat out of the water.

·
Premium Member
12,051 Posts
this is just me, but if i was regularly towing at my cap or near it i would suck it up for a full size.

im not saying the frontier cant handle it, it can. towing with even a half ton would make you feel much much safer and better driving on the road.

**** get a titan, they are super cheap and the smallest of the full sized trucks now. around 9500 towing capacity i think as well. you will feel much better towing with it than your frontier. promise.

·
Super Moderator
10,435 Posts
Maybe the in laws will help buy the new truck, you are shortening your trucks usable life hauling their toy.
Every time I'm asked to use any of my trucks to do someone else's work I politely refuse.
My reasoning is if there is a failure they surely won't pay for the repair. I know some may disagree but it's true.

Clint

·
Premium Member
12,051 Posts
Maybe the in laws will help buy the new truck, you are shortening your trucks usable life hauling their toy.
Every time I'm asked to use any of my trucks to do someone else's work I politely refuse.
My reasoning is if there is a failure they surely won't pay for the repair. I know some may disagree but it's true.

Clint
man i wish i could say no. ive only just recently been telling people that i need to get my own work done so i cant help them.
for the last few months my truck build has been on the back burner because i always say yes when people ask for help. it sucks to tell people no, but im slowly slowly coming around to it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
in my opinion going with a half ton truck is not a worthy investment. You typically only gain 3000 lbs in towing capacity from tow ratings ive seen for half ton trucks, assuming you get a truck optioned with the higher rated engines, rear ends, and suspensions which is typically not available by themselves. So you are looking at a 40k truck for ~50% increase in towing capacity.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would be cautions with upgrades, bigger tires & lifts tend to reduce towing capacity. Take it into a truck stop and check the weight to see what the actual weight is with and without the trailer to see what the real numbers are. Actually read the owners manual and see how the numbers add up. If you are at or near the maximums but not over you are safe. Doesn't matter what it looks like, numbers don't lie.

·
Premium Member
12,051 Posts
in my opinion going with a half ton truck is not a worthy investment. You typically only gain 3000 lbs in towing capacity from tow ratings ive seen for half ton trucks, assuming you get a truck optioned with the higher rated engines, rear ends, and suspensions which is typically not available by themselves. So you are looking at a 40k truck for ~50% increase in towing capacity.
false... thats super false.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh yea, it's good. Pulls skiers and everything. Doesn't turn quite as well as a speed boat, but it'll get up and go.

As for buying the new one... I'd really just assume not have another car payment if I don't have to. She'll be happy when we get to save that money every month! Actually, truth be told, it'll go right towards her college loan.
As cool as it would be to get a new truck, this one barely has 50k miles on it! I bought this truck because I know so many of them last well over 100k.

That's why I figured if there was a way to upgrade things to just help matters on the occasion we do haul it, that's the smarter financial decision... right?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts