Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my entire system, but today I just replace the speakers with some pretty good Polk Audio 6.5" in the front doors and JBL in the rear. I will put in my new Alpine Head Unit with the Alpine backpack amp next weekend.

I was shocked how little difference just the speaker upgrade made.. just louder, really doesn't sound much better at all.. I am sure that will be very different with the new head unit.

Mine is the six cd non RF unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
...and w/ just a HU upgrade, the stock speakers come to life.

Parallel adage: Don't fix the roof w/o checking the foundation first.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Replaced my basic 4 speaker HU with an older Kenwood X794 that I had lying around from previous vehicles and it made a difference but yeah, the stock speakers have to go. I installed it last week. I also just ordered a small 4CH Kenwood amp with Bluetooth built-in. Nice cuz the 794 doesn't have BT in it. 2 birds with 1 stone. I also have some Sony 6.5 components I will be installing in the front doors and plan to switch out the rears with some Tang Band infinite baffle 6.5 subs down the road. Nice.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was very unimpressed with the sound quality moving from my 2014 Jeep Cherokee - especially the fact that rear door speakers are barely audible even if you put all the sound back there. I don't trust myself to do the labor work, so I went to a local audio shop and they quoted $700+ for a Pioneer double-din, satellite ready, steering wheel controls...

I envy you guys who can swap out the HU on these trucks. I just know that I would end up with a great truck and nice set of headphones to listen to whatever my phone is playing since the stereo will be completely hosed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My pro 4x has the RF system and it sounds awesome..but my brother in law has an sv with the regular system and it actually is really bad lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
I had the 6 speaker standard unit with my 2014 SV and thought it was OK. After upgrading to the SL with the RF unit I am amazed at the difference in sound quality! In addition the auto volume control actually works!!! In other words sound at 60 MPH drops as speed does so as not to deafen you. Never had one work right until this RF unit!!!

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
I was very unimpressed with the sound quality moving from my 2014 Jeep Cherokee - especially the fact that rear door speakers are barely audible even if you put all the sound back there. I don't trust myself to do the labor work, so I went to a local audio shop and they quoted $700+ for a Pioneer double-din, satellite ready, steering wheel controls...

I envy you guys who can swap out the HU on these trucks. I just know that I would end up with a great truck and nice set of headphones to listen to whatever my phone is playing since the stereo will be completely hosed.
It's really not all that difficult. The most annoying part is splicing the harness together, but you can get the RIGHT harness from ae64.com and you don't have to do any splicing, just crimp or solder it all together and BAM!

I had the 6 speaker standard unit with my 2014 SV and thought it was OK. After upgrading to the SL with the RF unit I am amazed at the difference in sound quality! In addition the auto volume control actually works!!! In other words sound at 60 MPH drops as speed does so as not to deafen you. Never had one work right until this RF unit!!!
My oem HU (SV 4speaker) speedsense volume worked ok... one thing I miss with the Pioneer HU, no speedsense...

·
Registered
813 Posts
The six speaker non-RF unit I had in my 2012 SV was one of the better sounding factory stereos I've heard. I like a good stereo so I replaced everything but I definitely didn't think it was horrible by any stretch.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I think my non-RF head unit isn't bad, but its not great...there's so many other things I want/need to do to my truck before "stereo"!

One thing to mention is my iPhone music is ripped as high quality as I could so I don't know if that made a difference?

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I don't even have a stereo in my truck. Although I miss music once in awhile, most of the time I have no time to listen to it.
I know nothing about sound systems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also changed my speakers . First kappa 6x9s and an alpine amp. Then CDt components front and back. It's better but ... so I just ordered a pioneer deh-80prs,I can't wait to see the difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also changed my speakers . First kappa 6x9s and an alpine amp. Then CDt components front and back. It's better but ... so I just ordered a pioneer deh-80prs,I can't wait to see the difference.
So the amp and speaker change did not make much of a difference? That's disappointing. I was hoping to add an amp and new speakers to improve things while keeping the factory head unit.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Start w/ the source first...then work outwards.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just replaced my head unit for the 2nd time. Had a standard JVC in a few years back just to get Bluetooth. Now I have a touch screen JVC KW-V320BT. That made a world of difference. Has subwoofer rca outputs so I hooked up my old Kenwood SW10 I had laying around. With the EQ settings, time alignment, lift etc on the head unit, it sounds 1000 times better. And I still have the stock speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks. I get the concept and know that is what you need to do to make an ultra-premium system. Im just hoping to improve to a "factory premium" level of performance. I had a Bose system in my 2001 G37 that I really liked, but realized it was not on par with an aftermarket system. That said, the Bose in my Corvette is sub-par.

I just really like the factory head unit and dont want to put up with the downsides to an aftermarket system.

·
Registered
35 Posts

I second this. An MP3 through any sound system (car or concert reinforcement) sounds terrible because that's what the quality is.

Want to improve your sound past just your system? Use WAV or FLAC files for playback, and use your USB cable to connect to the stereo, not an 1/8"-1/8". Cell phone audio headphone jacks (preamp) are horrible and don't offer the full resolution of your audio source like the USB cable will.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did an upgrade of the audio system in my 06 CC. Don't know about you guys but I'm always looking for a deal. I found what, to me anyway, is a great deal on 4 Rockford Fosgate speakers with a 400W Boss amp. $129.00 It came as a set from JET.com. The speakers are the correct size,front and rear, to fit into the factory openings and the amp fits perfect under the passenger seat. This was the first time I had used the site so I called to ask about discounts for first time customers. The woman I spoke with was very helpful and found me enough discounts to get the price down to $89 and some change! I checked around and I couldn't buy one set of the same speakers for $129. I paired them with a JVC head unit that was on sale at Crutchfield and couldn't be happier. The sound from those speakers is fantastic!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a 2009 Xterra with the RF setup and thought it was pretty so-so. I just purchased a 2016 Frontier Pro-4X with lux package and RF system.
I have been playing around trying to get it to sound decent, but again....have ended up with so-so result. Yes, it is loud. But sounds crappy.

I did notice that turning the speed sensing volum off did help. But compared to the Kicker system in my Chrysler 300 SRT8 and the factory system in my girl's Kia Optima....I find the Frontier's system lacking.

But....it has Nav and reverse camera.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have the 16 pro4x with RF speakers and has anyone changed the HU and kept the 10 speaker system with the RF sub? Does all of the speakers hook up to aftermarket HU? I would like to go with a bigger screen.... I rate the speaker system 6.5-7/10 for the stock RF imo.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts