Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so yesterday afternoon I was working on the truck and forgot to turn the ignition off :damn:. You know what it was like when I went to the truck today to start it, nothing! So I hook the charger up and start it up. After it started I let the truck run for awhile and then I noticed that the 4WD indicator (the indicator that looks like the four truck wheels and the transfer case
) is blinking (it blinks the transfer case and the front wheels). I turn the selector to 4HI and the 4WD indicator stops flashing showing all wheels and t-case engaged. Then I select 4LO and same thing it doesn't flash and the dash indicate LO range is selected. Turn the selector back to 2WD and the flashing resumes. It drives completely normal, that is when in 2HI it drives in 2HI and in 4HI or 4LO it is in 4WD.

I get my OBD reader out and it shows a P0102 (MAF, low voltage). I try to clear the P0102, but it won't clear??? I do believe both problems (the 4WD indicator error and the P0102 error) are coincidental to my killing the battery. The Baro reading is perfect for my elevation, 5,000' (just under 25). Doesn't idle as smoothly as it did prior to my killing the battery, I figure the ECM must have to relearn some stuff, correct?

Any insight as to how I should go about diagnosing these problems would be most appreciated. The truck has 31,000 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Flat battery will cause issues also forgetting to turn the engine off and let it run itself dry (had a buddy do that he left it running to charge the battery and fell asleep)
Try taking the battery to autozone to get it charged. If it went completely flat it might caused it to go bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,752 Posts
Did you fully charge the battery or did you charge it long enough to get the truck to start? If the battery was flat dead, you will need to run quite a distance at highway speed to get a good charge on the battery. It's actually hard on the alternator to do this though. Or, give it a proper charge with your battery charger.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put it on a slow charge overnight and I checked it this morning. Same problems, battery is fully charged.

·
Registered
485 Posts
If you have not already done so try a reboot. Unhook a battery cable, leave it off for a few minutes then reconnect. This will allow the ECU(s) to restart and may fix the problem.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Was the truck in 4wd when the battery died. I recall that if this happens the truck becomes confused and you need to manually shift the truck out of 4wd. Not sure if your situation is related. To manually shift, there is an electronic actuator on the rear of the transfer case. Remove. Then there is a slot that can be rotated with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to back the truck up to get out of my driveway this morning...guess what? As I was backing up I noticed that the 4WD light (the one I posted in post #1) stopped blinking! I stopped and put the selector in 4WD and it lit as it should and when I put it back in 2WD it lit as it should ::grin:: Then I plugged in and the P0102 code has cleared itself. So, the only thing I can think of is the overnight charge at 2 amp brought the battery to full charge and when that happened, everything went a o k! Thanks for your suggestions, very appreciated and I will try to remember two things: 1) turn the :damn: key off and 2) if I fail on #1, then fully charge the battery before trying anything!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts