Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just went to my doc today for a phyiscal and guess what? Turns out i have a Double Hernia! Yeah i've got two (1 on each side), just in case one wasn't enough. Funny thing is that is doesn't hurt, i don't feel any different. I have to call tomorrow and set up a consultation with a surgeon. At the earliest it would be two weeks before my surgery. Than a week to two weeks before i'm back at work, plus six more weeks before i can lift anything. I was suppossed to start school August 10th at Lincoln Collage of Technoloy here in Denver for automechanics. Gonna delay till the next round of classes start something like eight weeks after the August 10th round. Anyone here had a hernia before?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I was born with one and had another when I was little. So, I do not remember anything about them but I am fine now haha

Good luck with the surgery.

·
Registered
571 Posts
i had a hernia surgery a coupe months ago! surgery is cake, but boy o boy, the next week or so you will feel like shiiit. Worst pain of my life! not to scare you or anything ;) but seriously as long as you don't laugh or sneeze or cough or take a crap, youll be alright. My suggestion, eat as little as possible while you are still in pain,i think i ate a couple crackers a day so that i wouldn't have to take a crap, just getting up to go pee is a challenge in itself!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
good luck. When i was little, but i dont remember

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
I had one done a couple of years ago.(inguinal hernia) Recovery depends on how they do the surgery (laproscopic vs. open) laproscopic is minimally invasive and recovery is quicker the open version is the opposite. Basically it is a tear in the abdominal wall muscle that can and may allow a portion of the bowel to push through. Sometimes they are painful sometimes not. Mine was like a dull ache and I only had it done as I didn't want it to get any worse.
They basically use a nylon type mesh to span the tear and stitch the torn muscle ends to it thereby lessening/eliminating the chance for a re-tear. The old way was just drawing the torn ends together and stitching them back to each other but that way there is no "reinforcing" mesh and the chances of tearing it open again were high. My recovery was only about 5 days but for those first days it did hurt to sneeze/cough/crap. Just try not to strain. Where are the hernias? inguinal (groin) or umbilical ( belly button area)? Don't worry though. It's not a big deal and besides it's a good excuse to have other people lift stuff for you for a while. lol. I don't think it will lay you up for long. After a few days you'll be able do do more than you may be thinking. Just be mindful of it and G/L.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
A hernia is like a flat tire. A hole in the rubber (abdomen). The right way to fix a flat is to dismount the tire and patch it from the inside. Laparoscopic surgery is a way to fix from the inside without a major abdominal wall incision.

Laparoscopy has been around for a while. It requires a skillful surgeon and takes more time so not all perform this procedure. But it is better for the patient. Your insurance carrier will like it better also.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I had one done a couple of years ago.(inguinal hernia) Recovery depends on how they do the surgery (laproscopic vs. open) laproscopic is minimally invasive and recovery is quicker the open version is the opposite. Basically it is a tear in the abdominal wall muscle that can and may allow a portion of the bowel to push through. Sometimes they are painful sometimes not. Mine was like a dull ache and I only had it done as I didn't want it to get any worse.
They basically use a nylon type mesh to span the tear and stitch the torn muscle ends to it thereby lessening/eliminating the chance for a re-tear. The old way was just drawing the torn ends together and stitching them back to each other but that way there is no "reinforcing" mesh and the chances of tearing it open again were high. My recovery was only about 5 days but for those first days it did hurt to sneeze/cough/crap. Just try not to strain. Where are the hernias? inguinal (groin) or umbilical ( belly button area)? Don't worry though. It's not a big deal and besides it's a good excuse to have other people lift stuff for you for a while. lol. I don't think it will lay you up for long. After a few days you'll be able do do more than you may be thinking. Just be mindful of it and G/L.

Thanks man. My consult with the surgeon is tomorow, so then i will know a lil more bout what they are gonna do with me. Both of the hernias are grion (right above my junk). Its wierd doc said they are a lil visable. I'm a very skinny guy (6 feet tall 150 lbs) and just thought it was a lil buldge being my blatter. Nope twas some intestine falling downwards.

Yeah man, always spoilin the fun.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ya mine was about 10 years ago in the groin and i had the lap procedure they said i was predisposed to it, that i had had a slight tare since i was a child, it didnt hurt either but after the surg it was like being kicked in the junk repeatidly! The major pain went away in a few days but the dull pain was there for years after for me! Good luck man!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya mine was about 10 years ago in the groin and i had the lap procedure they said i was predisposed to it, that i had had a slight tare since i was a child, it didnt hurt either but after the surg it was like being kicked in the junk repeatidly! The major pain went away in a few days but the dull pain was there for years after for me! Good luck man!
Awesome. The feeling of being repeatidy licked in the junk sounds amazing.
:fantastic: Lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts