Nissan Frontier Forum banner

the bumper thread

23K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  cutabovetherest 
#1 · (Edited)
the aftermarket bumper thread

for 1st gens and 2nd gens post up your front and rear bumper so we can a good reference thread for people who are either looking for ideas on building one or buying one

1st gen rear bumper

1st gen front bumper

2nd gen bumper

See less See more
#3 ·

Kennesaw Mountain Accessories Wincher Bumper.(made for 3 inch body lift)

#8 ·
not if I get mine installed first :laugh:

here is the SW bumper in brown

#6 ·
check the thread above this...

all the bumpers that people buy are shrockworks... or richards (penski your the only other person doing bumpers for nissans)

plus richards are a lot more creative :)

#9 ·
check the thread above this...

all the bumpers that people buy are shrockworks... or richards (penski your the only other person doing bumpers for nissans)
Did you see the KMA bumpers posted in this thread? There are a couple calmini and ARB bumpers out there to, just not posted up yet.

#14 ·
These are progress pix for those out there who are interested. If anyone wants to see how it has progressed I will be creating a thread after everything is done.

What still needs to be done:
-Gusseting
-2" receiver + reinforce
-Wrap the uprights in 2"x3/16" flat strap
-Weld on skid plate
-Weld on center section brace
-Send it off to powder coat!!

I haven't decided if I want lights or a winch on the front. I guess I will see after the majority of my fab'ing is finished.

#18 ·
Update for mine:

-Mounted, still considering revised mounting brackets but will address after body lift is on.
-Quick coat of paint to keep the salty a$s air from creating surface rust.
-Triple pass welded inside.
-Need to mount 2" receiver. Considering a winch so I'm not 100% for mounting the 2" receiver.
-Lacking More Time!

#20 ·
Thanks Bubba! I decided it's time to continue the build.

#25 · (Edited)
i have no idea why they didnt split the oem bumper in 2
the actual fender liner you just trim , but the piece that goes under the grill and attaches to the fender is the part you separate from the bumper

think of it this way , look at an se or a nismo there is a gap between the chrome bumper and the piece right under the grill
you want to create that gap on your le by cutting in between the plastic bumper and the piece under the grill

#24 ·
Are the Calmini front bumpers compatible with a 2008? It' says that they are only compatible for up to 2007. I don't know of any differences between the 08 and 07.

#26 ·
Right I know that my question is about the fenderliners. You see how you can see the plastic that curves to the shape of the tires? The plastic on the inside of the wheel well I mean.

Do you have to remove that? Or can u cut it?

I went today to a fab shop n they said they could do it but didn't have a bender. So the would just cut the tube at angles. They didn't give me a price yet, going back tomorrow to see the computer rendering. They built that bumper in the link plus teo holes I. The metal plates that I can mount fogs.

#29 ·
I went today to a fab shop n they said they could do it but didn't have a bender.
My opinion, the bolded words for you should = RUN. You do not want to pay $$ on a bumper that is going to be created without a bender. Every fab shop should have a bender and if you are going to spend the money to get one made it should look good. I can't imagine a bumper that is created by cutting the material at an angle would come together with smooth edges. Seriously, find another place.

#27 ·
its not a fab shop if they dont have a bender IMO , try another place

all you need is a razor knive to trim the fender liner

here is a pic of my truck , fender liner is still there just trimmed

#31 ·
I built the rear bumper just for the Nissan Truck Rally.
1-7/8" sch40 pipe w/ 1/4"x4"x4" Angle bumper to frame brackets with a slightly recessed 2" receiver hitch that utilizes the stock bolting locations plus the lower two (per frame rail) that the oem hitch bolts to.

Here are a few poser shots:

#33 · (Edited)
It sure was. The indentions received a full bead of weld and were ground to a smooth finish. But until I have the need for something like these guys have homebuilt tubing bender - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
its perfect for anyone trying to build their own bumper. Thanks for the tip

#34 ·
no problem , i found moving bending a little bit then moving the pipe over a touch and bending again( keep goin back and forth between multiple little bends) helps with indentations and you can get better overall bends

#35 ·
The Simple Fishy Bumper

My first go at fabricating anything. I did 1/4 of the welds on it and my friend did the rest. Frame nuts were torched off and replaced with grade 8 hardware. It's strong enough to hi-lift from and greatly increases my approach angle. The make-shift skid plate was made out of scrap metal until I can order a new skid plate. Note the bottle opener on the passenger side also mounted with grade 8 hardware :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.