Nissan Frontier Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Before I take the plunge, will LEDs work in DRL mode? Keep in mind that the Frontiers with DRLs run the headlight bulbs on high beam with reduced voltage.
They do not. The DRL circuit design on the Fronty is the same configuration that GM used to use for years, perhaps decades, that current flowed "backwards" through the second hi beam filament before hitting a ground point. You'll get one LED burning at about half-power, at best. Disable your DRL and either turn on your headlights while driving, like many of us do, or install aftermarket fixtures in the grille or somewhere on the nose and wire them in for DRL use.
Someone else had asked the very same question in another thread a few months back and I replied w/ detailed instructions on how to rewire the DRL system for LED compatibility, which I believe should have worked, but instead of doing as instructed, making the mods and then reporting the results, he just created three more threads asking the same dang question. You can get the horse to the lake, but ........................

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Some folks would not want to do the mods. I know I’d be reluctant too. What about anti-flicker modules?

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (15,000km)
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Interesting...until (just now) I read the manual more closely, never realized they even had DRL. I leave my headlights in "Auto" mode all the time anyways so the DRL never seem to be active in that mode regardless, but good to know!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Interesting...until (just now) I read the manual more closely, never realized they even had DRL. I leave my headlights in "Auto" mode all the time anyways so the DRL never seem to be active in that mode regardless, but good to know!
DRL is Canada only, where it's mandated by law. The US spec models don't have it.

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (15,000km)
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
DRL is Canada only, where it's mandated by law. The US spec models don't have it.
Yeah, I'm in Canada. DRL operate when you have the headlight switch as follows:

DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS (DRL)
SYSTEM (if so equipped)
The DRL system automatically illuminates
when the engine is started with the parking
brake released. The DRL system operates

with the headlight switch in the OFF posi-
tion or (in the running lights position). Turn the head-
light switch to the full on position for full illu-
mination when driving at night.

If the parking brake is applied before the
engine is started, the DRL system does not
illuminate. The DRL system illuminates
when the parking brake is released. The
DRL system will remain on until the ignition
switch is placed in the OFF position.

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (15,000km)
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
They do not. The DRL circuit design on the Fronty is the same configuration that GM used to use for years, perhaps decades, that current flowed "backwards" through the second hi beam filament before hitting a ground point. You'll get one LED burning at about half-power, at best.
Is there any negative effects of running the LEDs without modification, or do you just not get any light (worst case). I run in "Auto" mode pretty well all the time so do think I get DRL anyways....so I don't care about that...but just don't want to damage them.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Is there any negative effects of running the LEDs without modification, or do you just not get any light (worst case). I run in "Auto" mode pretty well all the time so do think I get DRL anyways....so I don't care about that...but just don't want to damage them.
Most auto modes that I am familiar with for Canada cycle between headlights with taillights and just daytime running lights depending on ambient light - with a sensor usually on the dash.

Its a good question as to whether the modification is actually necessary, or a law abiding citizen can just run their full set of lights during the day. Assuming the mod is not necessary to avoid damage. you might wish to run this by someone who could speak to whether or not your truck would pass MVI with DRLs not working.

Personally, I want plug and play with DRLs working. I did track down a system from a Canadian supplier who promises the correct modules to make this happen. And, its supposed to work for the Frontier and keep original DRL but through the new LEDs.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts

They offer HID or LED. Looking at the pictures, seem like a real rats nest.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I lately have been driving around in my Frontier for a little over a month with 9007 LED headlight bulbs that bought through amazon. I was kind of skeptical since I did have some negative experiences about 5 years ago with my 3rd generation Murano. But let me tell you that LED technology has come a long way since, these bulbs are a big improvement from stock and from those that I experienced with back then. They were advertised as 6500k, which I would say they are more in the 5500-5800 range, definitely very white with a very little hue of bluish, mostly white. There is even a review there with a Frontier owner that uploaded pictures, those shots convinced me and that is how I gave them a try, and I am glad I did! Plus the price is reasonable and very fair compared to other brands and systems I was looking at that time. By the way, these work as stock bulbs, no modifications necessary, AUTO works as intended from factory, just a great lightning upgrade. I even went a week later after and ordered set of H11 for my foglights, I am very happy with both matching now.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
The Cougars are interesting. Looks like the airflow is contained within the headlight assembly, so that should avoid dirt issues. Possibly some resistive type load would make them work with stock DRLs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Cougars are interesting. Looks like the airflow is contained within the headlight assembly, so that should avoid dirt issues. Possibly some resistive type load would make them work with stock DRLs.
My Frontier is a 2005 LE, headlights in AUTO mode work without any issues and as intended, I do not think mine has the Daytime Running Light module for that.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
just got a message back from Morimoto about our LED XB headlights... will hopefully be taking pre-orders soon... will keep you guys posted!!!! STAY TUNED!!!!

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (15,000km)
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I LOVE the look of those Morimotos.....but I don't love them $1000 worth unfortunately. The LED upgrade is a great improvement (enough to keep me happy now) and cost me about $75.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts

They offer HID or LED. Looking at the pictures, seem like a real rats nest.
I have sent them some questions. The rats nest photos were for the HID variants. The LED variant looks simpler, but still slightly confusing. I asked them for installation instructions. I like the fanless design as I drive my truck year round - meaning snow, rain, road salt, road sand, brake dust etc. I really like the idea that DRLs will work without modification.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
I lately have been driving around in my Frontier for a little over a month with 9007 LED headlight bulbs that bought through amazon. I was kind of skeptical since I did have some negative experiences about 5 years ago with my 3rd generation Murano. But let me tell you that LED technology has come a long way since, these bulbs are a big improvement from stock and from those that I experienced with back then. They were advertised as 6500k, which I would say they are more in the 5500-5800 range, definitely very white with a very little hue of bluish, mostly white. There is even a review there with a Frontier owner that uploaded pictures, those shots convinced me and that is how I gave them a try, and I am glad I did! Plus the price is reasonable and very fair compared to other brands and systems I was looking at that time. By the way, these work as stock bulbs, no modifications necessary, AUTO works as intended from factory, just a great lightning upgrade. I even went a week later after and ordered set of H11 for my foglights, I am very happy with both matching now.

Challenging not to be skeptical until the light pattern on a wall verifies that the beam pattern is not among the more commonly scattered pattern that most LED 9007 bulbs are known for...as a tighter beam cutoff at the top will provide light where you need it w/o blinding oncoming traffic. Hope they work well for you.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I remain somewhat skeptical myself as I have not heard back from them. I’m taking it slow fir now.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I did here back. He provided me with a PDF of the installation instruction. He noted that the led kit worked best on high beams rather than low beam. He suggested their HID halogen hybrid if low beams are most important. I seldom Use high beams as there is almost always vehicle coming the other way. Canada’s most densely populated Province and all.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I ve had mine in for a couple weeks. Dialed em in per the chart raine had.Every time I go somewhere at night I fully expect to get flashed because there so bright, but as of yet,have never had anyone flash me.

·
Premium Member
2019 Frontier SV 4X4 CC A/T 2.5" lift
78 Posts
LOL I thought these lights were INSANELY bright coming from 20 year old cars, hahaha.

·
Premium Member
2019 Frontier SV 4X4 CC A/T 2.5" lift
78 Posts
Drive around any old ford and you'd probably think it was a death trap, lol, so good. Cool to see people making them even better!

41 - 60 of 68 Posts