Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'm not trying to do anyone a favor with the way everyone around here drives, or should I say doesn't know how to drive and pisses me off on a daily basis. I rarely have my back end weighted down.
I thought the same until I decided to let off the throttle (figuratively and literally). Rather than NASCAR-drafting other vehicles (and not saying that you do), I leave space to allow idiots to be idiots. I don't drive in other vehicle's blind spots, line up with them, or drive where I'd get cut off if they merge in front of me. In fact, I expect people to merge in front of me.

If I see people that are making an unprotected left at an intersection that I'm approaching, I'll let off the throttle so they have time to turn. If I have a "fresh" green light, I will still approach with caution. Green means you have the right-of-way, doesn't mean others will stop.

On the freeway, I don't have a set speed I want to go. It's easier in the Frontier since I rarely exceed 65 no matter the conditions. But in my Honda, I will try to keep pace so I drive faster than semis but slower than most passenger vehicle traffic. That way, again, I don't get pissed when I'm trying to cruise at 75 and someone is going 60 in the hammer lane.

Doing so has made driving virtually stress-free. I probably spend 10% more time to get somewhere, but I don't arrive angry at other drivers or traffic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
arOO ? as scooby doo might say. if a headlight needs to be baked open for a light bulb change, the retrofitter created a frankenstein HID conversion incorrectly and should be kicked in their rear tire. shame on them. properly done, the female seat for the bulb should be accessible openly, or under an enclosure just like any OEM HID headlight
100% this. I can change the HID bulbs by removing the dust cap and rubber cover on the back of my retrofitted headlights just fine and I mounted some 3" FX-R projectors in there.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Is there a reliable/viable replacement/fix for the headlights (poor illumination) in our trucks? I drove home last night after dark, and really starting to realize how absolutely horrible, almost unsafe, these lights are. Almost hit a deer and didn't even see it until it was about 10' away.

I see a lot of posts on LEDs and different options, but they all see to come with some downsides. Maybe I am just missing the "go to" solution of choice, but what is it these days?

I don't want something that is going to burn itself up every 6 months, or is not highway legal etc. Some combination of reliable, decent, focused lighting.

Ideas?
Good LEDs will work great in the stock housing. Find my LED list on this site.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Is there a reliable/viable replacement/fix for the headlights (poor illumination) in our trucks? I drove home last night after dark, and really starting to realize how absolutely horrible, almost unsafe, these lights are. Almost hit a deer and didn't even see it until it was about 10' away.

I see a lot of posts on LEDs and different options, but they all see to come with some downsides. Maybe I am just missing the "go to" solution of choice, but what is it these days?

I don't want something that is going to burn itself up every 6 months, or is not highway legal etc. Some combination of reliable, decent, focused lighting.

Ideas?
I like BeamTech LED Fan less i have them on both my Frontiers, Titan and Altima. I had problems with the fan ones in the cold in Colorado, making noise then leading to failure after winter. I been running BeamTech for over 2-3 years now still no problems. I think the 9007 are $35 on Amazon.

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV
1 Posts
Installed AUXITO 9007 LED bulbs in my new SV CC 4x4 and couldn’t be happier. Marked the OEM beam pattern on my garage door before replacing them with LEDs. Installed LEDs,compared the new pattern to the old, and to my surprise, no adjustment needed; the patterns were almost identical, so no worries of blinding oncoming traffic. After 3k+ miles with the new lights, I’ve not been flashed once and the difference between old and new is huge, makes driving at night so much easier on my old eyes. The bulbs are plug and play: remove female plug from OEM bulb, remove bulb and reverse the procedure for new LED. As a precaution, battery should disconnected, and unless you have very small hands, it should removed to gain access on the right side.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I felt the same way you did about the stock lights. Personally, IMO the best option is to go custom and retrofit some HID projectors in the stock housing. That's what I did and they are like two suns mounted on the front.

View attachment 321433 View attachment 321434 View attachment 321435
Looks like your Frontier has been hanging around some Mazdas. That's a compliment. The projector beams in my wife's Mazda5 and my daughter's Mazda3 are everything a headlight should be.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks like your Frontier has been hanging around some Mazdas. That's a compliment. The projector beams in my wife's Mazda5 and my daughter's Mazda3 are everything a headlight should be.
That's funny you mention the projectors that are used by Mazda. Being an old-school retrofitter, the projectors from Honda/Acura used to be the gold standard with their TL, TSX, and S2000 projectors. I guess Mazda has come a long way!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
View attachment 321449

Big fan of my katanas so far
RIGHT?! Have you used the brights yet when it's completely dark out???? IT"S LIKE A BEEMER/BENZ!!!

waiting to see what these will be about!
DON'T FORGET THAT MOST HIDPROJECTS ARE NOT DOT APPROVED!!!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I just ordered a set of Kantana's, be here tomorrow, and they come with the Raine stamp of quality, no guessing if their going work well.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I finally got a chance to try my katanas out on the way back from KY last weekend and I can say I was very impressed and my wife could not believe how bright they were. I thought I had my fogs on also but not at that time, great pair for driving ANY streets or back roads without my brights. The brights are ok but their not needed at all when running fogs with the low beams. Custom adjustments by @raine 😁

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
I finally got a chance to try my katanas out on the way back from KY last weekend and I can say I was very impressed and my wife could not believe how bright they were. I thought I had my fogs on also but not at that time, great pair for driving ANY streets or back roads without my brights. The brights are ok but their not needed at all when running fogs with the low beams. Custom adjustments by @raine 😁
This is why paying $1k for aftermarket headlamps for me is questionable. I completely understand that when executed correctly a good set of aftermarket headlamps will no doubt be better than our stock halogens, but with the amount of improvement I've already gotten out of a set of Katanas (still on the same original set too) is already very satisfying. They are inexpensive, and after adjusting correctly there's so much more light on the road. I'd say it's even with most of today's average vehicles - albeit maybe they don't have that super clean super flat cutoff like true projectors... but if the light is where it's supposed to be (on the road) and I can see where I'm going without blinding oncoming traffic, then the Katana's (or similar style) are legit, proven upgrade that is easily within anyone's budget. And I didn't even get to the added improvement I get when I also turn on my Rigids... :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would agree. $1,000 for headlights is a little extreme. There are certain areas where you can rationalize that you have to pay to play and others where it doesn't make sense dropping that kind of cash. Katana LEDs and the like are an excellent bang for the buck when aligned properly. My retro was essentially free when it came to parts since I just reused some projectors, bulbs, and ballasts from a past project on a former vehicle. The labor was my own time and it's something I enjoy doing, so I figured why not?

I think the "bottom line" answer to this thread comes down to the amount of time or money you have and the end result you're trying to achieve. I guess that's true of all modifications, right?

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
I think the "bottom line" answer to this thread comes down to the amount of time or money you have and the end result you're trying to achieve. I guess that's true of all modifications, right?
Absolutely. IMO when anyone asks "Bottom line" it's too vague; it's like whenever anyone asks "what is the best ____" ... questions like that are dependent on each individual. Budget, value, timeframe, type of usage, intended appearance improvement, installation skill, tool set, and so on and so on and so on.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i REALLY want to see a comparison between hidprojectors.com vs. morimoto led headlights that are coming out....

Reactions: raine

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Driving home last night in the rain, with my headlights and foglights next to useless [thank you to waterbase highway marking paint that lasts 2 weeks but is only applied once per year in the spring after some of the road-salt and road sand has washed off], I have been really thinking about these:

or should I be looking at these:

Last night I was truly driving blind. I had to feel my way home. Coveting the projector beams in wife's 2012 Mazda5 and daughter's 2011 Mazda3.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Driving home last night in the rain, with my headlights and foglights next to useless [thank you to waterbase highway marking paint that lasts 2 weeks but is only applied once per year in the spring after some of the road-salt and road sand has washed off], I have been really thinking about these:

Last night I was truly driving blind. I had to feel my way home. Coveting the projector beams in wife's 2012 Mazda5 and daughter's 2011 Mazda3.
The 12000.. are the ones I have and I can tell you their worth every penny usually around $50. Best upgrade I’ve done that I actually needed!

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts

The 12000LM's are the same design as what we've been suggesting. Don't forget to re-aim after installation for the best results:

Reactions: RobFrisco415

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (15,000km)
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

Don't forget to check - ordering off of amazon.com, even with import fees etc, may still be cheaper than amazon.ca

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Thanks for the guidance. I think I’ll be springing fir a pair while the weather is still warm.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Before I take the plunge, will LEDs work in DRL mode? Keep in mind that the Frontiers with DRLs run the headlight bulbs on high beam with reduced voltage.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts