Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For an almost all out prerunner build and still being "street legal" (very loose term), able to take the jumps and highspeed through the desert. Would I be better off starting with my current gen1 4x2 CC v6, or trading it in for the equivalent gen2? i would love the power advantage of the 2nd gen, but iv heard the 1st gens are more "jump friendly". so what is everyones input on this? All ideas are welcome. Thanks.

~Mike

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Im not totally sure on this, but there are more parts for the 1st gens. but if your going full prerunner with everything custom i guess it would be your preference. im sure some others on here will have some better input though man.

·
Registered
397 Posts
i would just say get the 2nd gen for the say reason MUSTARD23 said.. theres a lot more stuff out there now then what there was when they first came out.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as far as budget goes, i don't really have one. this is something i have always wanted to do so i'm not worried about money. it will be a process to complete over possibly 2 years, maybe more, just piecing it together slowly. i found a few 6 speed cc v6 2nd gens pretty close by with very low miles and reasonable prices. so first thing is to trade my 1st gen in. then will be the one piece front clip, bedsides, and suspension. next would be a full cage, then body armor. i may do the body armor first but you never know until you start. lol. then once all that is set up id work on the interior, new seats, including buckets to replace the rear bench, dash, and extended center console. then after im completely satisfied with the looks and ride and "sturdiness" i would start work on the engine. keeping it naturally aspirated tho. thanks, so far everyone has been very helpful. :)

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
take it slow and steady.... get a 2nd gen, put a titan swap on it with some 2.5" coilovers and add some bumpstops to save your coilbuckets. then figure out if you really need to go all out. I bet you'll be happy with just that. you'll be surprised at how much fun 9-10" of travel can be.

otherwise if you want to be gnar-tastic from the get go.... be ready to dump over $10000 in mods and customs work for 16" of travel, fiberglass, cage.... not knocking the idea, just seems expensive for what an atv can do.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea, im already fully aware of the prices, iv already tallied up a "rough amount". and it is well over 10k. i agree all these things "can" be done on an atv, but i want to be able to do it in a truck that I pretty much built from the ground up. im not looking for no 16" of travel tho, 12" is more what i had in mine. maybe more later, but about 10-12 is all im shooting for right now. the titan swap will be my base start for it. Thanks for the point of views everyone, keep em' coming.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Like said above the regular ts would be awesome, or you can do like terribleone and do the long travel(titan mid travel) and gain more of what you are looking for as far as travel. For the rear just do a good leaf pack with some radflo 2.0 and youd have a pretty decent pre runner, jump friendly truck.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so just making sure im taking in the information correctly, on the 2nd gens, im assuming share a like/ or similar frame to the titan, buy a titan mid travel kit intended for the titan, will directly bolt on to the 2nd gen? what other parts would be needed? and what would a good recommended leaf pack be and who through? thanks

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
titans and frontiers share the same frame. On the frontiers the control arms are mounted further out then the titan, which is why you get the wider track going with the titan arms. The other parts youd need is new steering components to handle the longer track width which greg from prg could hook you up with. As far as a leaf pack for the rear greg has the 10 leaf pack which a lot of guys on here like, but you could always get a custom set made for what your looking to do with the truck.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
awesome, thanks. so just contact Greg from prg and ask him what all i would need? and a 10 pack sounds pretty good to me.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what would the shock hoops accomplish? this is kind of a learn as i go thing, just making sure i get as much info as possible before i start so it doesnt wind up a screw it all up as i go and ruin the whole truck. lol.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
1st gen for pre runner you basically only have the total chaos coil over kit.
for second gen you can do titan swap. or a titan midtravel swap, or a titan long travel swap etc.

*shrug*

but if your gonna sell your first gen, go get a Tacoma, you wanna talk lift options...

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
heh, yea iv noticed there seem to be way more options for the 2nd gen. as for the tacoma, don't get me wrong, iv gone and looked at them and all that, they are nice, but they just don't appeal to me that same that the fronty does. and iv ran into way to many snobby toy owners, don't think i could name one stuck up nissan owner tho,(that i have met thus far) call me naive, but thats just my 2 cents. but i agree, there are WAY more options for the tacos.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that is the main reason why i want the fronty over the taco. i probably see more modded tacos than stock frontiers. not to mention all the stock tacos runnin around.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts