Votes: 20 90.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Texas Hold 'Em: Sport or not??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simple question, which has stirred quite a debate in my head today. I brought into question why Texas Hold 'Em was on ESPN. My arguement with myself is that it is NOT a sport, by definition:

sport

  /spɔrt, spoʊrt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [spawrt, spohrt] Show IPA Use sport in a Sentence

–noun
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
2. a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors.
3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.
4. jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously. 5. mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him.
6. an object of derision; laughingstock.
7. something treated lightly or tossed about like a plaything.
8. something or someone subject to the whims or vicissitudes of fate, circumstances, etc.
9. a sportsman.
10. Informal. a person who behaves in a sportsmanlike, fair, or admirable manner; an accommodating person: He was a sport and took his defeat well.
11. Informal. a person who is interested in sports as an occasion for gambling; gambler.
12. Informal. a flashy person; one who wears showy clothes, affects smart manners, pursues pleasurable pastimes, or the like; a bon vivant.
13. Biology. an organism or part that shows an unusual or singular deviation from the normal or parent type; mutation.
14. Obsolete. amorous dalliance.

Just got into the hole game of poker and actually have done very well. So just wondering what you guys think ???

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Sport my a$$. Its a game, or a hobby

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
–noun
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc....
^ sorta... yes.
Ever play 10+ hours in a tourney?

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ sorta... yes.
Played for about 3-6hrs with my cousin & his friend. They play in tournements & actually poker season is in full swing so since i just started and im even though good. I dont feel im up to that standard yet.

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
^ sorta... yes.
No sir I have not, unfortunately my attention span isn't that great . . lol.
I'm afraid I would be plenty bored about 2-3 hours in.
I have a hard time making it through movies that are over 2 hours even if they're awesome movies (Braveheart comes to mind here).

The only thing I can do for extended periods of time and not get bored is drink (adult beverages).

·
Registered
256 Posts
If spending 10 hours playing poker makes it a sport warranted by ESPN coverage. Then why don't i see 10 hour stints of madden '09 or 36 hour stints of World of Warcraft played by basement dwelling neckbeards covered on ESPN?

Nothing about poker makes it even close to a sport, let alone warrants coverage on a sports network. Watching poker on tv is just about the dullest thing you can possibly do with your time. Sure it can be fun to play with some guys for a bit of money after a few beers. But a sport? Beer pong is more of a sport than poker.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
well, at least we all know stan is back

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Technically ESPN is the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network...

Poker is entertainment, it is not a sport.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
well, at least we all know stan is back
:wav:

If spending 10 hours playing poker makes it a sport warranted by ESPN coverage. Then why don't i see 10 hour stints of madden '09 or 36 hour stints World of Warcraft played basement dwelling neckbeards covered on ESPN?

Nothing about poker makes it even close to a sport, let alone warrants coverage on a sports network. Watching poker on tv is just about the dullest thing you can possibly do with your time. Sure it can be fun to play with some guys for a bit of money after a few beers. But a sport? Beer pong is more of a sport than poker.
Id play Left4Dead Tourney's. If i got paid for it. I already play for 6+ hours when im into it already haha

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Id play Left4Dead Tourney's. If i got paid for it. I already play for 6+ hours when im into it already haha
You have way too much time on your hands! :)

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You have way too much time on your hands! :)
Not to mention im an Administrator for a gamer society a friend and i have started. So far it has 13 members.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
#3 in your definition would make it a sport. this question actually comes up a lot due to gambling rules. it technically is a "game" but the gray area is, is it a game of chance or a game of skill? if its skill then (here in Va at least) it legal, BUT if it were to be classified as a game of chance then it would be illegal here. i personally believe it is a game of skill because you can through away your cards if they suck but you have to be able to read the other players, which is a skill, not chance or luck. i enjoy watching WSOP as well as the WPT. i probably play 6-8 turnys a year and of course theres online play as well. on line isnt a game of skill, its chance because the one major factor is taken out, reading the other players.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nicely said

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 26 Posts